A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
400 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super simple summer skirt tutorial  (Read 96945 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

emapril
Emilisaurus

She'll be comin' 'round the mountain...

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2005 11:38:37 AM »

Here's a skirt I made yesterday, and decided I would make a tutorial. So I made another one today for my sister, though one can never have too many skirts... Can't take all the credit for the skirt though; I found the pattern in a magazine that my grandmother had. Changed it a bit and here it is:

Start by getting your measurements. This tutorial with be done in cm since that is the only thing I know. Though I think an inch is about 2.5 cm and that would mean that a foot is about 30 cm. Anyhow, this is how you do it:

Measurements you will need: waist and around the hips.

You need three pieces of fabric. One in stretchy fabric and two in regular cotton fabric. Experiment as you want with the color combinations.

Piece #1 (Stretchy fabric):
Measure your waist and add 2cm to that. That will be the length of the piece and the width should be 30cm. Though you can experiment with the width to make the band at the top thinner or wider.

Piece #2 (Regular):
This piece will be between the skirt itself and the stretchy part. Measure around you hips and add 10cm to that. The width should be 5cm.

Piece #3 (Regular):
This is the skirt itself. Measure around your hips and add 50-70cm to it depending on how scrunched up you want it to be. I recommend about 60cm. 70cm turned the skirt into a kind of tutu. The width should be about 25cm, but you can alter it according to how long you want it to be. The shorter the cuter though.

Take piece #3 and fold it so that the short ends are together with the right sides against each other. Sew together along the edge to make a sort of tube.

Now heres the tricky part, which isnt really tricky at all. The scrunching up. I have no idea what the real name in English is, so Im just going to call it scrunching. If you know how to scrunch, do it your own way, Im not so good at explaining. It you dont, I will do my best at explaining.

Along the top of the tube, sew two seams right next to each other with long stitches (3-3.5). Do this around the whole tube. Make sure that the seams dont overlap and dont secure them by sewing back and forth at the start of end of the seam. 0.5cm between where the seam ends and starts should be OK. Also make sure that the strings are long, you need something to hold on to when you scrunch it up!

So, by carefully pulling the bottom strings scrunch the whole thing up. To know it is your size, wear the skirt while you do this. When its your size, even it out and tie the strings together with another piece of fabric to make sure they dont get all messed up.

Take piece #2 and put the short ends together with the good sides against each other. Sew together at the edge.

With to good sided against each other, pin your new tube to the skirt like in the picture.

Sew it on.

It should look something like this.

Take piece #1 (the stretchy fabric) and fold it with the short sides together and with the good sides against each other. Sew along the edge like in the picture.

This is a super easy step and I just realized how extremely hard it is to explain in writing I hope you are all smart people  Wink. Well, the picture should make it pretty clear though. Well, here it goes:

With the bad side still facing out take the top part of the tube and turn it so that the good side is out and fold it over the bottom half of the tube. It should look like a tube folded in half, but with the good side out and the bad side inside against itself. That sounded a bit unclear Its the best I can to though!

Now take the stretchy and strangely folded tube and put it inside the skirt. Good sides against good sides. The folded end of the stretchy tube should be down inside the skirt while the open part is lined up with the top part of the skirt. Pin it and see to that it is all even. You might need to stretch the stretchy tube out to fit the skirt.

Sew it and make sure that it is all even! Otherwise you will end up with left over fabric at the end of the seam and you skirt will be lopsided.

Turn it right side out, and tada! Almost finished skirt! Just the boring part left

Fold the edges and sew them.

And heres your finished skirt!

Good luck! If there are any questions, just ask! I think the tutorial might be a bit confusing; it is after all my first.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005 11:49:04 AM by emapril » THIS ROCKS   Logged
missgurle17
Miss Dana Rae

XoXo, Dana

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005 12:14:09 PM »

That came our great! I really like the look you did with the like 2 wasit bands(erm kinda).
Don't worry you did fine on your tutorial! I understand it by just looking at the pictures, lol. This should be super easy for anyone to follow, especially if they have ever followed any pattern before.

Great Job!

<3, Dana
THIS ROCKS   Logged

XoXo, Dana Rae

I have 50 gmail invitations, this is a great invite only email service. Email me if you are interested.
Unlucky435
what?

you are electric.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005 12:56:08 PM »

i LOVE that.
definetly giving it a try.
wonderful tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veni, vidi, vici.
greenevie
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005 09:37:41 AM »

I really like that -- I just made a skirt out of all stretchy material, but I think a combination of the knit with a cotton would be really nice. It remedies the fact that I hate waistbands (and elastic waistbands and drawstrings don't turn out so well for me...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emiwcch
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006 11:07:20 AM »

that is a cute skirt, and thanks for the tute! the stretchy waistband is a fantastic idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Know your onion!
PpCakes
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006 02:11:48 PM »

i love it. i am totally using this tutorial. thank you<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my blog, its full of crafty awesome things, and life!

xo
http://ckscribbles.blogspot.com/
sweet fancy moses

Jeff don't wear regular shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006 09:00:32 PM »

I think that you should give a tutorial on giving tutorials.

Super-duper crazy neat.  I'm in love with that skirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Think vintage soup with extra noodles.
kalona
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006 12:36:01 AM »

Cute skirt and nice tutorial.  The name for "scrunching" in English is "gathering," but "scrunching" works fine, too.  Wink

Oh wow, I just noticed how old this topic is.  Oh well, still a cute skirt.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006 12:39:12 AM by kalona » THIS ROCKS   Logged
spicecarrie
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006 10:56:07 PM »

What a cute skirt! I'm definitely going to try this! Thanks so much for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the_che

Create your world.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006 01:57:10 PM »

Also, you could make the width of the stretchy material a lot longer, and then follow the same instructions to make it, but then when you wear it, you could fold it over the skirt itself. (Does that make sense to you guys?)

Anyway, it's a lovely skirt and you did an amazing job on the tutorial.. the pictures were a great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Old-Fashioned Lemon Sugar Cookie Recipe
How to Make Rhubarb and Ginger Fro-Yo
Coffee and Almond Cake Recipe
2014 Spring Dining Guide: Cappuccino and Beignets at Bayou Bakery
How to Make a Gluten Free Orange Polenta Cake
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...