A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Paisley Necktie Schoolbag  (Read 272924 times)
Tags for this thread: necktie , tie , bag , paisley , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2006 09:57:06 PM »

OMFG.  I LOVE my tie bag.   This was the world's greatest tut, and I now have the world's greatest bag.  Behold.

The Front

Le Back

El Inside (which was lined with fabric at Hancock's during a $.99/lb sale.  When I got it a couple weeks ago, I showed it to Mom and said, "It's not much, but maybe I can line a purse with it sometime."  It was the perfect amount, and it goes great with the bag.  What a great buy!

Side Uno

Side Dos

And my favortie part of the bag.  I got all my ties at Goodwill, and didn't pay a great deal of attention to them when I bought them.  So imagine my surprise, when I was zig-zagging the ties, and found on the back of one of them a quote!  I didn't want to bury it in the bag, so I cut it out and appliqued it to the front of the bag.  It's hidden by the flap, but when I lift the flap, you can see this:

It's blurry, but it says, "Don't put off til tomorrow what can be put off til the day after tomorrow.  --Mark Twain"  It is SO the story of my life!

I changed the way the straps are done, because I wan't crazy about tying the straps, and they were insanely long.  I ended up cutting the ties shorter, slipping one tie into the other, and then sewing it down that way and zig-zagging the ends so they didn't unravel. 

Such a great tut.  I definately will be making another some day.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
frubaloo

Go flexibility.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2006 10:12:55 PM »

What a fantastic idea! I love the variations that everyone has made. It's definitely something to try once I get a hold of ties!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
Personal Site | Email | AIM: Frubaloo
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2006 10:50:28 PM »

This is so cool... I can't sew and don't have a machine so I am going to try to convinve a friend of mine to make it for me! Wink

Emms  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grannystylee
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2006 04:30:46 PM »

I love the MArk Twain quote!  I'm still selecting my ties lazily.  I love seeing what everyone has made.  Imagine running into someone with one, it would be like a sisterhood of the craftster tie bags...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rickrackruby
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2006 08:05:05 PM »

Wow!  I'm so happy I'm suddenly getting e-mail notification again!  I'm just now catching up with everything.  Dishtowelqueen your bag turned out great!  I'm glad everyone is able to follow my tutorial - I spent a LOT of time on it, but it was worth it. 

Now, one more thing - any time you are using recycled silk ties you are going to run the risk of wear.  That's just the way it goes.  The fabric is fragile -  you never know how old the ties might be - And book bags always receive a lot of abuse.   If you want it to last longer you can use new ties - or ties from tougher fabrics like cotton or wool. 

Take care!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kookoosp

20 yrs of schoolin & they put ya on the day shift

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2006 01:31:12 AM »

Here's mine.  I didn't have enough neckties, so I decided to make my own from my fabric stash! 

If you can't see the pics, you can see them here:  http://houseofsteph.blogspot.com
I made the front and back from eight mock-neckties and made a gusset from some lightweight canvas.  The lining is cotton and the flap has a magnet closure masked by the button.  Pocket is made from the leftovers I cut from the external pieces. 
Was gonna give it to a friend, but I think I wanna keep it.  Smiley  *selfishly skulks away*
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006 01:45:19 AM by kookoosp » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tinkerbello513pd
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2006 12:36:52 PM »

awesome directions - Im quite inspired!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pursemakingjunkie
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2006 12:55:06 PM »

i think i might have to make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

:)Purse::Making::Junkie:Roll Eyes

visit my online store: www.independentgirl .etsy.com
GirlyGirlBags
« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2006 03:27:28 PM »

I bow to you!  that is a fabulous purse!! 

Kookoosp - I adore your fabric!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kookoosp

20 yrs of schoolin & they put ya on the day shift

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2006 05:17:58 PM »

Thanks, GirlyGirlBags!  This is my NEW stash.   Cheesy  I was visiting my parents in Nashville and found the MOST WONDERFUL fabric store EVER!  It's called Textile Fabrics, and they have EVERYTHING I've been drooling over online and otherwise.  They have a 30% off all fabrics sale going on until the 21st of this month! 

ga-gaa 

I'm loving the bag and the tute, and I'm getting LOOOOTS of compliments when I wear it out and about. 

Say cheese!   Grin 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Cheese Souffle
How to make Salmon 1-2-3
How to make Steak Verde 1-2-3
How to make Seafood Wrap 1-2-3
How to make Scallops 1-2-3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...