A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 303,140
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does your knitting bother your significant other?  (Read 6537 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2005 01:53:11 PM »

If my boyfriend wants attention he'll just say something like "My girlfriend hates me!" And then I know to put it down. It's really serious when there's a dance that follows. He's very supportive and tells me all my projects are wonderful and has even found me makeshift tools to work with when we were at his work. He's never been to the yarn store with me, but we are rarely in the same place during the day (work, school, etc), but for Valentines Day he did buy me $50 worth of yarn off of the internet.

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2005 02:01:39 PM »

My husband really doesn't seem to mind my knitting, i've taken him to yarn stores before and i even let him pick out yarn for me sometimes if i explain what i'm making he just seems to get it and always finds the perfect yarn. Smiley
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2005 02:45:55 PM »

i love knitting. i use to knit all the time. but i have cut back alot because my boyfriend hates it. i'm addited.  i just can't help myself. so i'm going through withdrawal right now. what to do when you love your boyfriend but you love knitting too.

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2005 02:53:56 PM »

My best guy friend that everyone swears I am dating asked me to go to the craft store to get yarn with him. He knows how to knit hats and wants to learn to crochet them after seeing my hats. I think you just need to get you significant other to enjoy knitting, or at least enjoy the products of your knitting, that way he won't be so annoyed by it. A guy can never have too many hats... well at least in vermont a guy can't Smiley Good luck!

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2005 02:58:01 PM »

Unless you're husband is a cowboy.  *sigh*  My hubby doesn't wear knit hats.  He doesn't wear knit gloves, he only occasionally wears sweaters, and he's picky in general.  He doesn't hate me knitting, like I said.  He's perfectly willing to let me have my hobbies, since I'm perfectly willing to let him have his.  He simply has no desire to become involved, and I have to respect that.  And he hates all my stuff all over the house.  And I just can't help it, there's only so much room to put yarn away in my house...  I need a bigger basement.

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
it's always you in my big dreams

andrew mcmahonnnnn <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2005 05:08:23 PM »

haha significant other

it was almost funny

so I guess we're back to us, oh cameraman
swing the focus. In case I lost my train of
thought, where was it that we last left off?
let's pick up, pick up

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2005 06:00:25 PM »

Mine does feel the need to drag me away from yarn if I'm "taking too long." Although he's really very tolerant, every so often he feels it is not a shopping day for me. Like today. I was pulled away from some lovely eyelash yarn. Very soft and floofly. But no, we came in for a flower vase, and that's All We Were Buying.

Ah well. I know where it is.
my metal baby

We can't all be girl scouts Millie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2005 06:39:06 PM »

That is too cute Emily!! My husband is the same way. I actually taught him to knit b/c he wanted to understand my love for it better just as he taught me to play guitar for the same reasons.
My boyfriend is fascinated by it. I'll be like, "OK, we're on the increase row!" and he'll be like, "The increase row? Already? When do we get to the eyelets?" He likes to knit vicariously.

I love that he knows enough to voice an opinion on yarns for certain projects and really gets into the creative aspect of the designs and textures. I think the difference between my husband and many others is he is a musician/artist who grew up in a house of musicians/artists.

Maybe you can propose a compromise where you watch action/sports movies with him while you knit so he gets a little reinforcement as well.

Most importantly you both have to make time for each other. Even if knitting is your obsession and your stress relief. In the long run your knitting making your husband unhappy is probably causing more stress than it is relieving!

yep I got a knitting blog

-It's making me blue, Pantone 292....
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2005 09:59:39 PM »

Mine mostly doesn't mind that i knit, but I think it took a little while for him to get over the "old ladies knit" stereotype (he didn't want to think of me as an old lady Smiley ).  There are times I really want to get something done, and I'll be working on it while we're watching telly, and then he'll look over and ask if I'd please put it down and snuggle with him.  And, I know that as much as I want to work on my project, I need to go love my lover.  I'd hate it if I were feeling all cuddly and asked him to come snuggle and he turned me down to go lube his dirtbike or something. 

Mine also has NO interest in learning how to knit.  I will say tho, that at times he watches very intently.  He has a mechanical engineering degree and the act of knitting and having the stitches make a cloth is fascinating to him.  He says he can't quite figure out how it works, and I can't see what's so tricky (but then I'm not thinking in a Mech E. way).  We're in Phoenix, and he's generally a warm guy so he has no need for gloves/sweaters/hats/scarves.    So, my knitting is all for other people.  ON the plus side, he doesn't ask why I don't knit for him Smiley

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2005 05:04:15 AM »

This thread is making me sad. No one should have to choose between their favorite hobby and their significant other.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Killer Instinct by S.E. Green
To Write Teen Fiction You Have to Read Teen Fiction
Author Debbie Macomber on Her New Book, ‘Blossom Street Brides’
Ben Ford Demonstrates How to Test Wellness of Meat
Former Senator James Webb on Family and the Military
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...