A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,138
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bedroom-HELP! (PICTURE HEAVY)  (Read 1789 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

EZ START
« on: July 31, 2005 02:25:21 PM »

I'm redoing my bedroom. The style I'm going for will be a mix of the bedroom styles between 1880 and 1950. No poodle skirts, just a girlie and lacy room. However, my favorite colors are navy blue, burgundy, dark raspberry, grayish purple, taupe, grayish blue, and rich dark browns. My favorite shades are dark gray- black. (No white though.) My headboard will be painted an antique brass color. Think of a mix between brass and iron. I have my rug, which you will see below, and that's about it. I get sick of wall colors fast, so it can't be very plain. My father doesn't know how to put up wallpaper, so that's out of the question. (I wanted red and white pinstriped wallpaper.) I have a few things that I found online that I like below as well.

Here is my bedroom now. (please ignore the huge mess.)

Now here are a few things I have to work off of...

1) Artwork. (need more of.)

2) Rug (Colors in rug: grayish purple, black, two shades of sage, off-white, burgundy, dark pink, olive green, medium reddish brown, and terracotta.

I was thinking of painting my room the second darkest purple seen above, but I don't think I will now.

These are things I saw online that I hope to include in my room. (I will most likely be getting the curtains.)

(Does anyone know where I can get a scalloped edged comforter like that?)

So, that's about it. Can anyone suggest some websites that I can look at for ideas of things to put into my bedroom? By the way, I have two beds and a mattress. (One full, two twins.) So I would need something for the bed in the corner. It's my couch bed which holds my junk at the moment. That's another thing, I need storage! I only have the use of one closet, my family took over the other. My bedroom is rather large, so I can fit a few extra things. I also have a black computer desk, I think we will be painting the furniture black. I plan on replacing the molding with non-finished wooden molding and painting that black.

Anyhow, help? ideas for storage, paint colors, bedding, furniture set up, etc. It's all welcome.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
honorhappy
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005 04:22:43 AM »

I'm thinking a pale gray would be nice for your walls, given your taste and decor.  If you're feeling ambitious, you could go from a darker gray on the top, and make it fade to the lightest gray at the bottom.  Painting the furniture black would be nice.  For more storage, look around and thrift stores or flea markets for a nice dresser with nice lines, matching what you already have.  If you can't find that, think about getting a cheap, prefab armoir and then embellishing it with wood pieces, and new knobs, etc.  The art you have now seems to work well with the rugs.  I'm not sure where you could find more of the same style, but remember that magazine clippings, etc can be great for picture framing if in the right frame.  Look around this site a lot for more ideas of what you enjoy, artwise and decor wise since you are eclectic.  I could see a lot of different directions you could go it, from french chic to modern contemporary.  Block letters might be a nice touch, or making your own words from wire hangers (there is a thread on here somewhere) as well as trying to get a hold of a dress dummy and lighting it up or dressing it in vintage style. 

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shadowhand
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005 05:03:10 AM »

For your extra bed, maybe you could turn it into a chaise longue?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Littlejo
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005 05:14:18 AM »

take a look at this site for some inspiration
http://www.bbc.co.uk/homes/design/design_inspiration/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EZ START
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005 02:02:39 PM »

Thank you so much for all your help. I adore the idea of painting my walls grey, I think a medium grey with a very light blue tint would go well. I'm keeping my eyes open for inexpensive rugs right now, I'm going to get about three or four and lay them on top of each other at different angles. I saw this gorgeous golden framed mirror the other day. It was slightly larger than the one I have and elaborately decorated with pieces of wood. It was about $200, not a bad price. However, I'm still looking and if I find one for under that price I'll buy it and paint it silver. I'll be painting my doors as well, the closet doors will be black and my door to my room will be white on one side and the other will be a mural. My father told me that he will give me a new closet organizer, so that's more storage right there. (I have about 40 pairs of shoes at the moment.) I'm looking into bookshelves for more storage as well, I need places to put my fabric and sketch books.

Does anyone have any other input?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
efemmera
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005 01:30:50 PM »

Well, if you wanted pinstripes, you can do that with paint. I've done this for scenic painting for theatrical productions, meaning it can be done quickly and on the cheap.  Wink

Supplies:
-one assistant (preferrably more)
-two paint colors in quantity large enough to cover the whole room in one color alone, including multiple coats if needed. (You will most likely need multiple coats since you seem partial to dark colors.)
-painting supplies (brushes, rollers, paint trays, tarps, yadda yadda)
-a ladder
-tape measure
-chalk line (You can get these at Home Depot or any paint place)
-painters' tape in the thickness you want for your pinstripe. It may be hard to find very thin tape, but it should be doable.

A thought: If you want to do this with dark pinstripes on light paint, you will need LOTS of the light color, as you will be painting over the dark color. You may even need primer. So plan your colors well.

1. Prime if necessary and paint the walls the color you want the STRIPE to be. Do as many coats as necessary and let dry.
2. Measure off at the ceiling line the distance between stripes.
3. At each mark, drop the chalk line, let it hang to vertical so that you have straight stripes, snap the line. Do this until you've done the whole room. You might want to figure out the total distance around your room and divide evenly so you don't have odd spacings between the last lines you paint.
4. When you've done the entire room, tape down the side of the chalk line. Press the tape very well, or your lines will look shoddy. This is more important if you're using thick tape, but lay your tape to one side of the chalk line, always. As in always stick your tape on the left/right side of the line so your stripes don't look off in spacing. Do the whole room.
5. When everything has been taped, paint the walls the MAIN WALL color. LET THIS DRY FOR A WHILE! RESIST THE URGE TO PEEL THE TAPE! (I know, it's hard, I always am so eager to pull the tape and look. But if you pull and your paint smudges, it looks icky. Be strong!  Smiley )
6. When the paint is not entirely dry, but kind of tacky to the touch (holds a fingerprint) pull the tape VERY CAREFULLY. Be sure you have a tarp on the ground where you drop the tape, 'cause it's covered in wet paint. (I know, seems commonsensical. There's a story behind that... Roll Eyes )
7. Sip beverage of choice in your pretty pinstriped palace.

Have fun, feel free to PM/e-mail me if I was being vague, as I tend to do on occasion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retro_Turtle13

Im a Barbie Girl! In a Barbie World...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005 09:41:02 AM »

I think you should get a trunk to put at the end of your bed, to either hold fabric and sewing supplies or just plain stuff. Here is fun i found at Pottery Barn. You probably dont want it this expensive, but I thought I'd show it to you anyway:

http://ww1.potterybarn.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=shpcfurocctnk%7Crshop%2Fshpcfurabsarm%7Crshop%2Fshpcfurcaochr%7Crshop%2Fshpcfur%7Crshop&pkey=cfurocctnk&gids=p4610

I also think you need a vanity, just because I think it would keep you more organized and its classic girly. Heres a link from PB and yet again I dont know if you want it this expensive:
http://ww1.potterybarn.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=shpcfurocctnk%7Crshop%2Fshpcfurabsarm%7Crshop%2Fshpcfurcaochr%7Crshop%2Fshpcfur%7Crshop&pkey=cfurocctnk&gids=p4610

I think its important to have a nice bed with lots of pillows etc. Like the one in your picture. I think just get a set like that to match your room. It deffinitley draws a lot of attention when you walk in and adds to it well.

Heres some drapes i thought you might like:
http://ww1.potterybarn.com/cat/index.cfm?src=shpcprwplwthw%7Crshop%2Fshpcprwrugwoo%7Crshop%2Fshpcprw%7Crshop%2Fshpcfurbedvan%7Crshop%2Fshpcfuroccstb%7Crshop&cid=prwwinsol

Here are some candle holders I thought would go neat with your theme:
http://ww1.potterybarn.com/cat/index.cfm?src=shpcaccstrmed%7Crshop%2Fshpcaccmirall%7Crshop%2Fshpcaccmirall%7Crshop%2Fshpcaccmirall%7Crshop%2Fshpcaccmirall%7Crshop&cid=accvaccal

If you have a phone line in your room, this is the ultimate choice:
http://ww1.potterybarn.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=shpcacchmacap%7Crshop%2Fshpcaccvaccal%7Crshop%2Fshpcaccstrmed%7Crshop%2Fshpcaccmirall%7Crshop%2Fshpcaccmirall%7Crshop&pkey=cacchmacap&gids=p848

And last, but not least, if you want some cute boxes to store your stuff you might like these:

http://ww1.potterybarn.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=shpcacchofstr%7Crshop%2Fpipcacchmacap%7Cgp848%7Ck%7Crshop%7Cs&pkey=cacchofstr&gids=p5798

Also old lady hat boxes would be cool. I hope I helped, sorry for such a long post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit Grannyscupboard.net for great bath products made of all natural ingrediants. Soaps,Bath Balls, Shower Gels, Bubble Bath, Luxurious handcrafted soaps, and more. They are all at your fingertips! Go now!
Retro_Turtle13

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005 09:58:24 AM »

You also might like something like this:

http://ww1.pbteen.com/cat/pip.cfm?snav=1&pkey=corgmag&gids=p942&ctid=orgmag&area=shp

Please post pics when you get done with your room, I would love to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit Grannyscupboard.net for great bath products made of all natural ingrediants. Soaps,Bath Balls, Shower Gels, Bubble Bath, Luxurious handcrafted soaps, and more. They are all at your fingertips! Go now!
EZ START
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005 10:16:36 PM »

Thank you efemmera, and not to worry, it's clearly written. However, my father already refused to that idea.  Sad It's not fair that my brother gets checkers, and I get one solid color. Luckily though, I get to do my alcove and I have decided to use your suggestion and paint my alcove in stripes!

Retro_Turtle13, I love the idea of boxes for sorting all my things! Also, I am so going to go out and buy a trunk to put in front of my bed, that's a great idea! When I read your suggestion of putting in a vanity I was reminded of the fact that I used to have one in my room that came with my furniture! I'll have to ask if we still have it, I sure hope we do! I love that rack, I'll have to buy something like that.

I think I'll put in some ornate corner shelves in the corner closest to my computer desk. Oh, that's right! I have a new one now, it's black and has a similar style to that of my sewing table. It was only $89, so it was definitely worth it.

I talked with my mother, and she and I agreed that after we finish my bedroom, dining room, and living room, that we will replace the doors. She also thinks it's a good idea to get rid of the sliding closet doors and buy closet doors that swing out.

Also, I'm going to get a Shoji screen to cover up my sewing area so I can hide things like my dresser's doll and stationary bike.

Thank you for all your advice, everyone. I'll be sure to keep you updated and show off the finish product!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005 09:32:47 AM by EZ START » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retro_Turtle13

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005 09:30:03 PM »

This is sort of off topics, but i just relized you have the eifel tower as a lamp base. I love it! Also maybe you should decoupage a cool lamshade in black and white newspaper clippings. I dont know.  Smiley Glad you liked my ideas, after I posted I started thinking i'd really like something like this for my room, I dont know if it will ever happen, but thanks for inspiring me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Why Are People Clamoring For The Polish Pastry Puczkis?
How to Make Fannie Farmer’s 1896 Brownies Recipe
How to Bake a Category 5 Hurricane Cocktail Cake
Sunny Anderson’s Fake-Out Beignets
How to Make Pureed Dates and Gingersnap Sandwich Cookies
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...