A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Questions About Germany  (Read 2643 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NoSleep
« on: July 31, 2005 02:21:05 PM »

Hey there.  I have a friend who is moving to Germany next year and I'm making her a going away package.  I was wondering what kind of things I could include (gift cards or recommendations for places to check out [stores, restaurants, etc.], stuff that you look for in America that you can't get in Germany, basically necessities and other cool things).  I was also wondering if someone could buy me some stamps and various other things from Germany and I can pay for them.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SuseSuse
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005 11:11:11 PM »

To which city/region is your friend moving? That would help a lot with gathering useful information.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bastelmutti
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005 06:36:23 AM »

It's been 4 years since I lived in Germany, but here are a few things we couldn't get readily that she might miss from the U.S.:

- Ranch dressing (mix packets are good)
- Good tortilla chips + salsa, Mexican specialties in general
- Chocolate chips for baking cookies

A useful thing you could include if she likes to cook or bake is a cookbook with typical American recipes and a set of US measuring spoons and cups. (Believe me, trying to convert those recipes to metric is a pain.) It's fun to make stuff from "back home" for European friends. They were mystified by my jello mold...(which I don't even eat when in the U.S., by the way!)

Another idea - if she has a favorite craft, buy her a set of supplies. Chances are that they will be more expensive in Europe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gwengrrrl
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005 03:30:51 PM »

If she has a sweet tooth she might miss things like Reese's Cups, pop tarts etc.
Gwengrrrl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VenusInFurs
Lady Day

Time may change me, but I can't trace time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005 11:33:55 AM »

It's fun to make stuff from "back home" for European friends. They were mystified by my jello mold...(which I don't even eat when in the U.S., by the way!)

I've also enjoyed making stuff from home.  Her new German friends will love it if she bakes them something typically 'american'.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website...I post tutorials and recipes!
roller*romance
Laissez les bons temps roller!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005 05:54:01 AM »

I've never been sick as often in my life as I've been since moving to Berlin. I had my mom send me 4 packs of Emergen-C!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
robbedbyapickle
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006 08:02:12 AM »

well, if your friend is moving over here with the military, then there'll be american stores on base that have the american food you can't find on the economy. as for places to go, it depends on where in germany the friend is moving to
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"sometimes we love with nothing more than hope. sometimes we cry with everything except tears. in the end that's all there is: love and its duty, suffering and it's truth. in the end that's all we have-to hold on tight until the dawn."
nanami
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008 04:40:32 AM »

If I came to Germany (actually I am from here) I would miss Hot white chocolate, you can't buy that here. And the tourists guides here are crap. I think the take themselves too serious.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Glam, Bronzed Makeup Look For Prom
Easy Techniques for Applying Concealer
Backstage at the Derek Lam Fall 2011 Runway Show
Beauty Smartie Christie Gives Makeup Tips
Meet Caitlin Ellsworth, the Newest Beauty Smartie
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...