A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,363
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Duct tape corset! (now with tutorial and pics!)  (Read 68660 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2005 12:35:50 PM »

Mmkay, so this is my first project EVAR, but I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I decided to make a duct-tape corset on my friend, using a regular tank-top as the base. Unfortunately I got so wrapped up in making it (pun not intended) that I forgot to take lots of pictures of the progress. We also had to remove the corset before we could finish it up... but it was boobtastic, lemme tell ya. I have three pictures for you:

What we started out with - a few layers of tape to serve as a strengthener/soft busk:

The inside of the corset:

The form of the corset:

I haven't bought any lacing rings yet (as the duct tape will rip if I try grommets) but I'll post a picture of it all laced up and on my friend's body when I get a chance.

So it fit perfectly on my friend's body before I cut her out of it (straight up the back, with scissors), so in order to smoosh her sides in a tiny bit, I cut about a centimeter off of each side of the initial slit I made. So then it'll lace tight tight.

Another friend wants me to make one for her, so next time I'll document it better with photographs for those who would be interested. Now I know how to smoosh the boobs up better Wink. In all it took less than half a roll of duct tape and under an hour of time to make.

Whaddayathink?

~Schnoogles.

TUTORIAL:

1. The first thing you want to do is find a willing victim participant. They'll have to wear a tight-fitting tank top that they're willing to part with (because they'll never see it again).

2. Start at the back and stick on strips of tape horizontally starting at the shoulderblades and work down. Don't let your model hunch down - it'll wrinkle later. Keep the shirt as taught as possible to keep wrinkles to a minimum.

3. Once you've done a bit of that, you can start on the front. Start with a strip of tape around the ribcage right under the boobs (or pecs, if it's a guy...) and work up. What I do is wrap my arms around the model from behind and stick the tape on over the boobs and then pull the ends toward me before sticking them down. That allows me to use my body strength to smoosh the boobs.

4. Work your way up and down from the first strip of tape you put down on the front until your corset is the shape and length you want it to be.

5. Now you're going to cut it right off the model with scissors, so make sure they have a shirt ready to pull on. You can draw on a line straight up and down the middle of their back, if you like, or do it by eye... I think a zigzag space in the back would be cool. I'll have to try that next time. Take your scissors and start at the bottom, cutting carefully up the back. You can slide your hand under to stop yourself poking the model. Then at the top, it just comes off. LOOK AWAY, FOR YOUR MODEL IS NOW TOPLESS. Unless you're all ok with that sort of thing. *cough* Er.

6. After it's off, cut off the remaining bit of tank top you can see at the top... the straps, all of it. Then you're going to finish off the top and bottom with strips of duct tape. Just make it nice and neat.

7. Then you're going to make a space in the back to allow for lacing. It can be as wide or narrow as you want, depending on how tight it was before you cut it off and how tight you want to lace it. (bear in mind, it's duct tape, so it may rip. Be gentle.) Start with a little bit - a centimetre on either side of the slit you made up the back. You can always cut more off, but it would be a helluva lot harder to tape it back on again.

8. Finish up the space in the back the same way you did the sides and mark all along where you want the holes for lacing to be. I used a regular single-hole-puncher, but if you've got a grommetting kit, go nuts.

9. Now I am by no means a corset expert, so I laced this one with some leather cord stuff I got at a craft store. It looked neat and tidy, and was really all I had.
(DURR... being the dunce I am, I forgot pics. Again. *facepalm* sorry.)

10. Lace it up and take pictures!

(NEW PICS COMING SOON)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006 07:32:14 PM by Schnoogles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dom: "This guy was a nightmare to work with, the Balrog. He had a huge trailer, never came out, never bought a round when we went to the bar, do you remember?"

Billy: "Very rude."
kiwitart
Angry Pixie

Writing is like butterfly soup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005 01:00:31 PM »

I think it's gorgeous and beautiful and all other words meaning pretty. That's really cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jesslow
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005 01:12:36 PM »

This looked like alot of fun and maybe it's just me....but I don't get it entirely.  Is this a duct tape corset or the beginning of a bust form?   I can tell the hard work that went into it.  If it is simply a duct tape corset, wouldn't it be really stiff to move around in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tree.hugger.chick
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005 01:15:29 PM »

I'm so stealing this. I love corsets, and I love duct tape. I hadn't thought duct tape would be strong enough to smoosh (as you put it) the tummy down a bit, but I am definitely giving this a try! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fallout55
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005 02:29:28 PM »

mabey you could decorate it wit sharpie markers!great job!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ewushka

Remember: Artistic is close to autistic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005 02:43:51 PM »

It's a perfect way to make a customized pattern for a corset, I'm not entirely sure about how it will work as a garment though.
I've made patterns this way. Only divide the form into six or eight pieces and use it. Allowances are already in the pattern. If you don't add anything it will shrink the finished corset enough to lace it alright aswell.
I'll be watching the progress of this project. Nicely done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jespersson
urban_albino

Open your mind, open your heart.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005 02:51:55 PM »

Wow!!  That's great!!  I have this weird belly pouch and I was just thinking this morning -- I wonder where I can get a corset ... but heck .. I'll just make my own!  That's very wonderful - good job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when the caterpillar thought it would die, it turned into a butterfly.
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005 02:55:13 PM »

Duct tape form have always been how I have made patterns for tight bodices and corsets.  I hope the duct tape on its own wont just crumple up if you use it as an actual garment though. It IS cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005 03:25:05 PM »

To answer all the questions so far:

It is simply a corset-type top, not a bodice form. I'm sorry if I confused you guys!

And actually I used a limited amount of tape layers, so it's not that stiff at all! The tape I used was very co-operative.

As to how it'll work as a garment, I have no idea. I was bored and had been thinking about doing this for months. You can wear it as it is, or I suppose put on something else under it. It would look awesome over a black dress or a white lace top.

I was thinking of enhancing the industrial look by embellishing it with yellow electrical tape and pop can tabs.

If my next corset is smoother in texture, without any wierd bumps, I'd love to draw on some cool design with markers... maybe make it look like a computer chip design or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dom: "This guy was a nightmare to work with, the Balrog. He had a huge trailer, never came out, never bought a round when we went to the bar, do you remember?"

owalkerjillo

Ve**ns rule :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005 03:33:36 PM »

oo i love this! i too was just thinking about where I could buy one. hmm maybe I'll have to make one. I'm thinking lime green and puple striped? ooo yes Cheesy duct tape never ceases to amaze me.

(suggestion for the next one.. sharpies will rub off the duct tape however, you can use colored duct tape to make different designs. I use an exacto knife to cut out things like stars, polka dots and even letters! have fun)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RoCkiN_StRaWbErRy

MmMmM StrAwBeRrY KiTtY!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005 04:37:24 PM »

so awesome!!!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005 04:33:06 PM »

that's the first duct tape garment that I've seen and liked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
Astolante
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005 06:51:15 AM »

This will probably sounds like a really daft question, but since it's an overbust, did your friend keep her bra on or not?  Embarrassed
I need to make a stage costume for an art exam at school, and I'm wanting to use a corset top in it, so the simplest way possible works!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2005 10:01:20 AM »

What I did was have her put on one of those tank tops you can buy at any store that have the built-in shelf-bra type thing going on. That way she was still supported,  but there wasn't any extra stuff up on top, like an udnerwire or a padded bra.

A person who is smaller on top could probably get way without a bra, just wearing a regular tank top. Just make sure the boobs are where you want them to be before you start taping away.

I've made another corset now, on myself, and it's much nicer if you were interested in the pics of my second prototype.

If not, I've got a suggestion. Do the back first. Take horizontal strips and go from one side of the ribcage to the other. That way, when you start on the front, and are smooshing the boobs up, the tape has something to grab onto. You'll only need a limited amount of tape and you won't waste time like I did, layering on the tape. You'll get a much better fit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkBalletShoes
...Oh, she's a crafty one, she is...

.:Drama Queen.. in the most literal sense:.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2005 01:28:28 PM »

VERY cool.. awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Millions of peaches, peaches for me. Millions of peaches, peaches for free- Look out!-
remisica

Perception is a vicious cycle. Groar!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2005 01:41:58 PM »

how would you wash it i wonder. use it for a super shero outfit for halloween!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look for me in the white forest, hiding in a hollow tree.
Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005 04:16:54 PM »

how would you wash it i wonder.

Don't sweat  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2005 05:35:46 PM »

Heh you don't wash duct tape garments.
And wouldn't you want a corset to be stiff? (to someone who asked about it being stiff)
It looks really cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lycan-Little-One
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2005 10:39:59 AM »

mmkay.. I am being difficult today, so I have several things to sAY  Roll Eyes
1) how comfortable is it to wear, is it functional for casual wear
2)next time, use a smaller shirt and you will not have so many wrinkles,
3)would a tutoriaL BEpossible? like just more specific directions?
4) I love it I love it I love it.... I'm going to make one as soon as I find a shirt small enough
5)does it hold anything in? what holds it up??? lol thanks sweetie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sexy_penguin_
Progress will be the downfall of mankind.

oh so special.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005 06:12:13 AM »

OMG i saw this yesterday and forgot to post and tell you how FRIGGIN AWESOME it is!
It's Friggin Awesome!
Now, I saw this and of course, duct tape and corsets are a couple of my vary favorite things so naturally i had to borrow this. I don't have pix right now becuase my webcam is on vacation and i don't have a digital camera <until xmas? *crosses fingers*> but I basically did the same thing you did and it turned out okay. It's much less clean <ie, lots of bubbles and approximately an hour of putting it on, taking it off, putting it back on, cutting things and taping them back together> but I'm wearing it to school today because i swore to my friend lauren that any duct tape garment shan't go without her inspection so we'll se how it holds up. so... yes thanks for allowing me to steal your post and now back to your awesome corset!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just blame it on the laser rain http://www.myspace.com/oooreo839
http://www.xanga.com/jetadorexcore
---
don't ever get stuck in the sky when you're high.
sexy_penguin_
Progress will be the downfall of mankind.

oh so special.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2005 07:20:42 PM »

lol wow that's really awesome! I'm going to try and get some more tape and make a more design-y, less prototype-looking one. Mine is slightly falling apart on the lacing up thing becuase i put the holes a tad to close to the edge. as soon as i get more duct tape <can't use up my last resources> i'm going to go over it one more time so that it's a>more sturdy and b> more wearable and not all bubbly. I wore it and it it held pretty well though, except me having to get my friend to basically re- lace it altogether becuase i made the boob part a little too big and it was pretty much falling off. Well, agian that's an awesome idea and now i gotta run and make improvements so it will be picture ready this weekend when i can go steal my dad's camera.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just blame it on the laser rain http://www.myspace.com/oooreo839
http://www.xanga.com/jetadorexcore
---
don't ever get stuck in the sky when you're high.
DrunkKitty
Mischief managed!

I am the girl anachronism!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2005 12:22:51 PM »

That is so awesome! You mentioned you were thinking about incorporating soda tabs in, how about using them in the back as grommets? You could do them horizontally all down the edge (to where the larger hole that is normally at the top hangs over the edge, sorry if I'm not explaning good!). The you could run the laces through the holes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!
Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2005 11:38:21 AM »

THat's a cool idea! How would I attatch them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

that13 gurl13

I Love My Teddy!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2005 10:36:04 AM »

you coulkd take a strip of duct tape and put little slits throught to put the tabs through the slits, then put tape in the tab to hold it to the corset.. i hope that makes sense... it just kind apoppe dinto my mind
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"'Oh sweet Jesus, a boob! She's making a BOOB!!!'" --InkFaery
"...with every good bye you learn"

"as long as Im alive, imma live illegal" ~ Sublime
blackchampayne

...Pain Passion Soul...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2005 04:57:19 PM »

well it looks a bit cyber-industrial for me to ever wear it but i think its a fantastic idea and as long as you love it (which you obviously do) then i think its amazing Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am a beautiful pig...and no one can tell me otherwise Cheesy
Katshimina
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2005 08:17:09 AM »

Wow, this is really awesome!
I've been wanting to make a duct tape corset for a while now, as a sort of practice before I go on making a real corset (plus they look so cool made of duct tape :3).

I have a question about your corset: How many layers of duct tape did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zombi

Woman of Dark Desires

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2006 08:10:48 PM »

The last pic was taken before I actually cut the corset off... so after I cut a strip out of the back for lacing, I was even more boobalicious!

Hot damn, that rocks. For B-cup types like me, anything that makes boobs bigger is good.  Wink
The duct tape form is a brilliant idea, too. Once I get me a disposable tank top, duct tape will fear me.  Grin

Rock on, boobalicious one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lay her down in her gingerbread coffin, she's so pretty all laid out in white...
I'll be your deadly nightshade, turn your Christmas black, and you can be my Johnny Homicidal Maniac!
Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2006 06:18:29 PM »

Thank you!

I'm a 34-A, so you can imagine how excited I was.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zombi

Woman of Dark Desires

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2006 05:37:15 PM »

Thank you!

I'm a 34-A, so you can imagine how excited I was.

Shocked Looks like a C from the picture. That's a lot of added cleavage.

I think I'd be excited too.  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lay her down in her gingerbread coffin, she's so pretty all laid out in white...
I'll be your deadly nightshade, turn your Christmas black, and you can be my Johnny Homicidal Maniac!
Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2006 06:55:06 PM »

The first pictures are of my friend.

The second set of pictures are of me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2006 07:48:15 PM »

Some pics of mine own, now I've remembered the codes for Craftster...

Unfortunately, owing to the angle of my body at the time of the photo-taking, my back was much more stretched out that usual... so when I put my arms down, the corset crumples a fair bit in the back.

Before I cut it off... (the only part I got help on... lol!)

Aaaand what happens right after you cut it off...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006 07:52:16 PM by Schnoogles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pseudodeath
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2006 04:31:48 PM »

This is frigging amazing!

I utterly adore corsets and well, what a way to make one!

Duct tape has been rumoured as a model's secret weapon, squidging in all those lumps and bumps, so I guess it figures it'd work for this. Ingenious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like breaking things....
eirle

Ph.D. complete. Back to crafting!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2006 04:50:30 PM »

Everyone else has already said this, but I'll say it again. It's sooooo cute!

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dare to Dream. Dare to believe in what is possible and instill in others the same sense of possibility." -C. Fiorina 2004
palerasta
schwing

taking the craft world one summer camp at a time

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2006 09:46:38 AM »

this kicks major buttage!  i'll have to make on for myself if i ever get an itchin' to put on the rocky horror picture show using duct tape wardrobe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stop, don't shoot, biggity biggity boo.
Tom-Kat
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2006 05:03:12 PM »

Omg. I so have to try this! Duct tape rocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

duct tape is like the force. There's a light side, and a dark side, and it binds the universe together.
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2006 07:59:16 PM »

I am so making this .. preferably this weekend.. I had an idea to add eyeleys around the bottom and make a kinda flowey removably skirt bottom ... I hope it turns out ... thanks so much for the tute
THIS ROCKS   Logged

badtink
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013 03:44:06 AM »

So cant w8 2 make lots espesh as there loads different colours duct tape can get now
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ValiantSeraphim
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2013 09:34:36 AM »

Super awesome idea! I'm desperate to make a corset/ bodice for my Renaissance Faire costume, but I'm pathetic at patterns. This will be the perfect way to make my own, perfect fitting pattern! Or I could always use brown tape and pretend it's "leather"  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty on the Rocks with Lion Babe
How to Make a Hot Chocolate Facial
Turn Your Home Into a Spa: Homemade Beauty Treatments
Celebrity Skin Care Routines Revealed!
New in Makeup: Less Is More
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...