A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Duct tape corset! (now with tutorial and pics!)  (Read 41922 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2005 12:35:50 PM »

Mmkay, so this is my first project EVAR, but I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I decided to make a duct-tape corset on my friend, using a regular tank-top as the base. Unfortunately I got so wrapped up in making it (pun not intended) that I forgot to take lots of pictures of the progress. We also had to remove the corset before we could finish it up... but it was boobtastic, lemme tell ya. I have three pictures for you:

What we started out with - a few layers of tape to serve as a strengthener/soft busk:

The inside of the corset:

The form of the corset:

I haven't bought any lacing rings yet (as the duct tape will rip if I try grommets) but I'll post a picture of it all laced up and on my friend's body when I get a chance.

So it fit perfectly on my friend's body before I cut her out of it (straight up the back, with scissors), so in order to smoosh her sides in a tiny bit, I cut about a centimeter off of each side of the initial slit I made. So then it'll lace tight tight.

Another friend wants me to make one for her, so next time I'll document it better with photographs for those who would be interested. Now I know how to smoosh the boobs up better Wink. In all it took less than half a roll of duct tape and under an hour of time to make.

Whaddayathink?

~Schnoogles.

TUTORIAL:

1. The first thing you want to do is find a willing victim participant. They'll have to wear a tight-fitting tank top that they're willing to part with (because they'll never see it again).

2. Start at the back and stick on strips of tape horizontally starting at the shoulderblades and work down. Don't let your model hunch down - it'll wrinkle later. Keep the shirt as taught as possible to keep wrinkles to a minimum.

3. Once you've done a bit of that, you can start on the front. Start with a strip of tape around the ribcage right under the boobs (or pecs, if it's a guy...) and work up. What I do is wrap my arms around the model from behind and stick the tape on over the boobs and then pull the ends toward me before sticking them down. That allows me to use my body strength to smoosh the boobs.

4. Work your way up and down from the first strip of tape you put down on the front until your corset is the shape and length you want it to be.

5. Now you're going to cut it right off the model with scissors, so make sure they have a shirt ready to pull on. You can draw on a line straight up and down the middle of their back, if you like, or do it by eye... I think a zigzag space in the back would be cool. I'll have to try that next time. Take your scissors and start at the bottom, cutting carefully up the back. You can slide your hand under to stop yourself poking the model. Then at the top, it just comes off. LOOK AWAY, FOR YOUR MODEL IS NOW TOPLESS. Unless you're all ok with that sort of thing. *cough* Er.

6. After it's off, cut off the remaining bit of tank top you can see at the top... the straps, all of it. Then you're going to finish off the top and bottom with strips of duct tape. Just make it nice and neat.

7. Then you're going to make a space in the back to allow for lacing. It can be as wide or narrow as you want, depending on how tight it was before you cut it off and how tight you want to lace it. (bear in mind, it's duct tape, so it may rip. Be gentle.) Start with a little bit - a centimetre on either side of the slit you made up the back. You can always cut more off, but it would be a helluva lot harder to tape it back on again.

8. Finish up the space in the back the same way you did the sides and mark all along where you want the holes for lacing to be. I used a regular single-hole-puncher, but if you've got a grommetting kit, go nuts.

9. Now I am by no means a corset expert, so I laced this one with some leather cord stuff I got at a craft store. It looked neat and tidy, and was really all I had.
(DURR... being the dunce I am, I forgot pics. Again. *facepalm* sorry.)

10. Lace it up and take pictures!

(NEW PICS COMING SOON)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006 07:32:14 PM by Schnoogles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dom: "This guy was a nightmare to work with, the Balrog. He had a huge trailer, never came out, never bought a round when we went to the bar, do you remember?"

Billy: "Very rude."
kiwitart
Angry Pixie

Writing is like butterfly soup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005 01:00:31 PM »

I think it's gorgeous and beautiful and all other words meaning pretty. That's really cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jesslow
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005 01:12:36 PM »

This looked like alot of fun and maybe it's just me....but I don't get it entirely.  Is this a duct tape corset or the beginning of a bust form?   I can tell the hard work that went into it.  If it is simply a duct tape corset, wouldn't it be really stiff to move around in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tree.hugger.chick
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005 01:15:29 PM »

I'm so stealing this. I love corsets, and I love duct tape. I hadn't thought duct tape would be strong enough to smoosh (as you put it) the tummy down a bit, but I am definitely giving this a try! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fallout55
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005 02:29:28 PM »

mabey you could decorate it wit sharpie markers!great job!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ewushka

Remember: Artistic is close to autistic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005 02:43:51 PM »

It's a perfect way to make a customized pattern for a corset, I'm not entirely sure about how it will work as a garment though.
I've made patterns this way. Only divide the form into six or eight pieces and use it. Allowances are already in the pattern. If you don't add anything it will shrink the finished corset enough to lace it alright aswell.
I'll be watching the progress of this project. Nicely done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jespersson
urban_albino

Open your mind, open your heart.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005 02:51:55 PM »

Wow!!  That's great!!  I have this weird belly pouch and I was just thinking this morning -- I wonder where I can get a corset ... but heck .. I'll just make my own!  That's very wonderful - good job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when the caterpillar thought it would die, it turned into a butterfly.
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005 02:55:13 PM »

Duct tape form have always been how I have made patterns for tight bodices and corsets.  I hope the duct tape on its own wont just crumple up if you use it as an actual garment though. It IS cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005 03:25:05 PM »

To answer all the questions so far:

It is simply a corset-type top, not a bodice form. I'm sorry if I confused you guys!

And actually I used a limited amount of tape layers, so it's not that stiff at all! The tape I used was very co-operative.

As to how it'll work as a garment, I have no idea. I was bored and had been thinking about doing this for months. You can wear it as it is, or I suppose put on something else under it. It would look awesome over a black dress or a white lace top.

I was thinking of enhancing the industrial look by embellishing it with yellow electrical tape and pop can tabs.

If my next corset is smoother in texture, without any wierd bumps, I'd love to draw on some cool design with markers... maybe make it look like a computer chip design or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dom: "This guy was a nightmare to work with, the Balrog. He had a huge trailer, never came out, never bought a round when we went to the bar, do you remember?"

Billy: "Very rude."
owalkerjillo

Ve**ns rule :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005 03:33:36 PM »

oo i love this! i too was just thinking about where I could buy one. hmm maybe I'll have to make one. I'm thinking lime green and puple striped? ooo yes Cheesy duct tape never ceases to amaze me.

(suggestion for the next one.. sharpies will rub off the duct tape however, you can use colored duct tape to make different designs. I use an exacto knife to cut out things like stars, polka dots and even letters! have fun)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Baked Beans
How to Make Chicken Marsala
How to Make Chicken Quesadilla
How to Make Moist Banana Bread
How to Make Sauerkraut
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...