A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Richmond DIY Trunk Show/Holiday Market  (Read 2076 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LarkStudio

Textiles-Jewelry-Crafts

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2005 07:34:01 AM »

I am trying to guage interest in a DIY/Crafty holiday market in Richmond.  This will be a market where artist/craftspeople/DIY types can sell there wears - and since it's the holidays, hopefully folks will be buying!  I'm thinking similar to the Rock & Shop Market in Raliegh www.rockandshopmarket.com or the DIY Trunk Show in Chicago www.diytrunkshow.com.  For those who know, I will be contacting Anna V. from the Bizarre Market to see what her plans are (as to NOT step on any toes) and maybe see if we can coordinate events.

So I need to know:

1. would you come to purchase unique, one-of-a-kind gifts for the holidays?

2. if you are an artist, would you sign up to vend?  if so, what would be the max you would be willing to pay as an fee? (keep in mind, it would be inside, and there would be cost to cover (space rental, tables, advertising, etc.)

3. based on the people you know, do you think Richmond would support this?

If you know of something already like this, please let me know.  I could just be I'm out of the loop! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Dawn
Amblus
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005 09:24:05 AM »

1. Yes, of course!

2. My friend and I make jewelry and have participated in several shows, including the Bizarre Market. I think $50 would probably be our top limit for a vend fee. We'd bring our own table etc.

3. This is more difficult. I think so, especially if VCU is still in session. Selling in Richmond is always a challenge, but I think there's a great indie scene - Bizarre Market always gets a nice turnout.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LarkStudio

Textiles-Jewelry-Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005 05:27:51 PM »

Thanks for the input Amblus.  I've seen you guys at Bizarre Market - really nice jewelry and creative table set-up as well (if I'm remembering,  you used old cigar boxes with dried beans to hold the earing cards..??)

I'll keep you posted... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Dawn
Amblus
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005 06:24:26 AM »

(if I'm remembering,  you used old cigar boxes with dried beans to hold the earing cards..??)

Yep, that's us! We just got started this year and so far it's been a lot of fun. Please keep me posted and let us know if we can help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crandons
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005 11:58:57 AM »

Would definitely be interested!  Most shows I've done have been between $50-$65 for a space but depending on location, marketing, etc. I'd definitely be willing to pay more.

Where are you thinking about having it?

Melanie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
t1g3rl1ly
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005 12:44:56 PM »

I live in Richmond and would LOVE to come see this show! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlstock
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005 07:46:26 AM »

I am moving to Richmond from upstate New York in the next couple of months.  If I can get settled quickly I would love to participate.  If not, I would love to attend.  Great idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gypsygurl
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005 07:55:00 AM »

I recently participated in my first bizarre market (the rainy one) and had a blast. Id love to participate. And my friends would be about it too!
Id pay up to 60 or so to get a table.
If I do it though I have GOT to get my shit together early. Last market I was sewing like I was in a sweat shop to get my stuff done. <sigh> the life of a chronic procrastinator
Lemme know whats going on with it and Ill have my husband run a banner on his website nearing the date.

He runs www.richmondforums.com, might help get the word out.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Secret Society of Tortured Daughters-In-Law - Hate your MIL? Join the Society today!
LarkStudio

Textiles-Jewelry-Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005 04:05:06 PM »

Thanks everyone!  I'll keep you all posted.  I'm trying to find a cool, alternative, indoor space that is NOT a million gazillion dollars!

Gypsygurl, thanks for the link... I'm def checking out richmondforums!

Dawn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Dawn
IMPAQ
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005 08:05:23 PM »

Gypsygurl, thanks for the link... I'm def checking out richmondforums!

Please do. I'm trying to change the makeup of our members to lean towards what endeared me so much towards Richmond when I first visited (and eventually moved to) it from Philadelphia... the strong arts community or the "creative class", as many people love to use that term here.

I'm hoping to get more intelligent, creative Richmonders to join us. Right now, well... we've got too many "squares" and that's just not my vision for RichmondForums.

I think very highly of Richmond's creative class and I'd love to see them support us by joining up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RichmondForums.com - Discussion concerning all things Richmond, VA
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Braided Headband Tutorial
Discover the Cure For Dry, Lifeless Hair
How to Create the Sock Bun Hairstyle with the Wrap Up
Beyonce and Miley Cyrus Bring Back Pixie Cuts
How to Create a Summer Fish Tail Plait Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...