A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Computer Earrings Tutorial (Img Heavy!) also page 8 and NEW studs page 12 :)  (Read 72630 times)
Tags for this thread: earrings , tutorial , video_game , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2005 05:48:20 AM »

Hello wonderful craftsters!  Grin   As requested I am doing a tut on how to make earrings with photo paper, packing tape and duct tape since you all are so good at sharing info with me.
Like these in the earring binge swap!

Bear with me on this tut - Im very OCD and will probably give you more info than you really need!
I printed out pictures (photos or graphics) on medium weight everyday photo paper (semi-gloss) (you have to print 2 regular and then flip 2 for the back side. (here's where my OCD kicks in - I always print 6 instead of 4 in case I make a mistake)

I covered the pictures with clear packing tape then covered the back with duct tape for stability.

Then I put double face scrapbook tape on the back of the flipped pictures before I cut them out (it's really really thin tape) You can use almost any type of strong glue if you want but this is the neatest fastest option.

Then I cut them out

Then I make as small a hole as possible in the top - I used my burny tool but you could probably use a thumbtack. Then I colored the edges black with a paint marker. (I tried Sharpies but they bled onto the earring)

then you add beads and wire and embellish them whatever way you want
and Voila!

You can use any picture you want. I've made teddies, butterflies, angels, Jack skellington, Larry the cucumber (don't you just love VeggieTales?) (of course you are only allowed to sell the ones made with copyright free images...)

The hearts, penguins and tigers I took photographs of my scrubs and printed them to make earrings to match them)

Let me know if this is clear! And when you make some - I'd LOVE to see them!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009 05:28:56 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue. - don't mind me! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
Neliamne
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005 05:54:05 AM »

That's so cool!  I love the Jack Skellington ones, with the beads hanging down, they rock!
The tute is great- aside from my lack of photoprinter, photopaper and pierced earrings, I'd be able to make them with no questions!
Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pink Hula

Shala for a week

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005 05:56:37 AM »

wow they are awesome!!!

i will be trying them for sure!!

S.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shala shala shala
nushybum
nushybum the magnificent

Masquerade!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005 06:05:14 AM »

How cute! What a good idea. Do you think that I could do this with thin card (which goes through the printer OK) rather than photopaper? Tis expensive, very much so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shock Paper Scissors - a modern magazine for contempory crafters

Magic Fingers - a craft blog
Quinston
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005 06:19:54 AM »

What a great tutorial!  I saw those earrings on your website and thought they were shrinky-dinks because the colors are so bright.  Love the olives and oranges.  I'm going to try this one. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaleesi
Craftaholic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005 06:22:05 AM »

Wow - quick replies! And thanks for the compliments *blush*

nushybum - yes this would work with cardstock - I just used the photopaper because it produces better quality on the higher intensity graphics and it already has a little sheen to it.
I use Jetpring photo everyday photo paper - soft gloss - medium weight and it's like 15.00 for 60 sheets? if that much - I don't remember. But it's a lot cheaper than you would think and it's my favorite photopaper to use because the pictures come out great and you just have to use normal ink - not even the best (so that makes it even more economical  Grin)
But yes, you can use cardstock - I wouldn't recommend regular paper tho but who knows - it might work too.
Neliamne - this same technique could be used for a necklace or charm bracelet if you don't wear earrings : ) And you can use cardstock and draw your own designs if you can't print them on the computer...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God is big enough.....
sheenyweeny
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005 06:32:05 AM »

i gotta say i love them to bits! in fact i lurked at the earring binge swap just to see your work, it's genius. not only do i love your idea, i love the way you've embellished your works - your use of colour and beads are excellent! i couldn't choose a favourite before this tutorial but now i've found it - the beaded jack skellington yum yum hehe

great tute too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is like a sandwich, the more u put into it, the better it becomes!

well behaved women rarely make history :p
nushybum
nushybum the magnificent

Masquerade!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005 06:38:11 AM »

Thanks, kaleesi. Unfortunately, I live in England, where everything is more expensive and often crappier. The paper you mentioned does sound cheap, though. I'll just use the card.

Thanks again for the tute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shock Paper Scissors - a modern magazine for contempory crafters

Magic Fingers - a craft blog
kaleesi
Craftaholic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005 07:14:33 AM »

nushybum - You're welcome and good luck!
Let me see what you come up with!

Wow sheenyweeny, thanks! I don't think anyone (besides my mother) has ever complimented me so nicely  Grin And on Jack - I used black fabric glitter paint around the edges. He is just too cool isn't he?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God is big enough.....
sheenyweeny
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2005 08:00:34 AM »

yep he's hot!

and you're so welcome, i really like the superman wallet on your site as well, did u make that?

i hope you're still swapping next year, and we get to be partners in an earring/jewelry swap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is like a sandwich, the more u put into it, the better it becomes!

well behaved women rarely make history :p
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Legendary Brown Hotel Hot Brown
Kentucky Derby Bourbon Balls Recipe
Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
BBQ Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Making An Easy Breakfast Sandwich With Chef Tiffany Derry
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...