A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,612
Currently Running With Scissors:
808 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Computer Earrings Tutorial (Img Heavy!) also page 8 and NEW studs page 12 :)  (Read 72153 times)
Tags for this thread: earrings , tutorial , video_game , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2007 06:54:55 PM »

This tut is awesome! I've just read all 17 pages and have some tips on images to offer.
My hobby is(or was) pixel art. I've learned a few things with it that I thought I would share.
Try to avoid saving as "GIF" type images if possible unless there's only a few colors. Gif's only save with 256 colors which you'd think would be enough but if your original image was over 1000 your image will not be nearly as pretty. Try to use png's or Jpgs whenever possible. Also check for pixeling (or that nasty fuzzieness) before using a picture from the web.
Most clipart is safe as it's only a few colors, as is most big pictures. Avoid those sites with compilations of pictures becasue those tend to save the images off sites around the web and are typically bootlegged images with copyrights posted for free. Often they are originally nice pictures but these sites re-save them in a lower resolution to save bandwidth and such.
Also use an actual image editor whenever possible and if graininess appears see if you can increase or decrease your color depth. A free image editor available online is called "irfanview" and it's not as fancy as adobe or such but I sue it for all my pixel art and for resizing my pictures. I highly recomend it.

Once again thanks for the wonderful tut! I do plan to sue it from now on. I now have a cute and easy idea for something to include in all my swap packages! *hugs*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 24, 2007 07:05:53 PM »

Kaleesi, I love this tute, and I'm so glad it got bumped up again. I've been meaning to try it.

I love your doggie avatar, it always makes me smile.  Smiley
Thanks - he's a good dog. It's a shame his vision went bad Wink
Post pics if you try it!

Thanks Eliea for the tips - I have found out also that some pictures are horrible - some don't resize well at all - and gifs are really bad about not resizing. My favorite clipart to use is .wmf format. I use the image editor in Microsoft publisher and can usually change it to suit what ever need I have. it resizes perfectly too. and thanks for the tip about the image editor - I have a friend that is looking for one to use.  I also found that most .wmf files are not copyrighted - well, you can't sell a collection of the images but you are allowed to use the images and sell what you make. I use alot of Microsoft clipart. I have paid way more attention to what is copyright free and what is not in case I try to sell any of my earrings. Larry the cucumber and Jack Skellington are favorites but I don't ever make them to sell because they are copyrighted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
Sunshine,

Hey, What a beautiful mess this is.

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2007 07:48:17 PM »

Larry the cucumber
awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftcat

jump in with both feet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2007 12:14:59 AM »

Wow...  just....  wow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 09, 2007 03:29:04 AM »

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
ajazzydancer
« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2007 06:54:32 AM »

I love the tutorial.  this is a great idea and I love the results, i'll have to try it out sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HoneyBadger
« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2011 03:02:39 PM »

This is such a cool tut! I am so making some!  Grin  All the ones that you made are so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dear Mods, me and my sister share a computer and our address is the same! Please don't block our accounts! <3
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nina Sankovitch on the Book That Changed Her Life
Cassandra Clare on the Book That Changed Her Life
Isla Morley on the Book That Changed Her Life
Why We All Love the Number 7
Laurel Braitman on When Animals Go Mad
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...