A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
854 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: The Original Woven Magazine Bag!! My Favorite! long awaited  (Read 149554 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jeannieboy
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005 06:43:30 PM »

OMG TUTORIAL PLEASE. i saw bags like that in this boutique at a mall and they were selling for like $80!! the proceeds went to some kind of charity group though, so i guess thats why the price was so high. but please TUTORIAL ASAP  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seika
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005 07:25:01 AM »

wouldn't it be the same as those crafts you did in kindergarten?
just place the strips down so they look woven, then use packing tape?  I don't know, I'm just rambling....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Do you realize that your insatiable pull for all things deadly was strong enough to recover a pack of mutant canines from extinction?  If we could bottle your luck, we'd have a weapon of mass destruction on our hands." --Edward, Eclipse
craftin pretty

i know how hard u try...i see it in ure eyes

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005 11:53:29 AM »

Hey Everyone!! i am working on the tutorial as we speak! and about the ribbon handle.. it is hotglued then ductaped into it... the handle was a last minute add-on (i kinda forgot to add one) so if you have any suggestions on something stronger let me know...and about the coment with the kindergarden craft.... the papers are actually woven and it is rather challenging to make them all the same width folding them by hand.... if i just cut them the bag wouldnt be strong enough.

I dont know if you are allowed to do this but i am willing to talk privatly about sending bags to people-- talking about details individually

Tut soon!!!

Melissa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lil_lisa
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005 03:03:44 PM »

that is sooo cool.  i would totoally buy one!  I can't wait for the tutorial i wanna try this so bad.  Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Lisa

My Etsy
craftin pretty

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005 05:34:35 PM »

tada!!! Grin

Heres the long awaited tutorial!!! Please post your results on how your craft turned out i would love to see it! And get more ideas for what to make!!!!
This is the first one ive ever done so please help and correct me if there is a certain way people like it done...I have some pictures 2 help along.

You need:
  • about 1/2 of a magazine
  • clear packaging tape
  • velcro
  • scissors

Ok here we go.....
Step 1. rip/ tear out about 20 magazine pages and fold them into thirds.

Step 2. take each strip of paper and fold them into thirds again. (you follow?)

Step 3. Make about 20 or so... depending on how big you want the bag. (20 should give you about the size of mine there). When you have made 20... cut a long strip of tape and lay the tips of the magazine strips evenly along it. Fold over the excess tape and press to seal.

Step 4. Cut the tape down the middle of the strips so you have 2 sections of 10.

Step 5. Assuming you know how to weave, (if not heres your lesson : 0ver, under, over, under/ next row: under over under over) congrats now u can weave. Well anyway, weave the two sections together and trim the edges so it looks cleaner. fold the bag leaving room (about 5 strips wide) to make a closure. tape the bag all the way around so you completly cover the magazine at all visible places (this makes it durable. You could also cover the inside before you fold it so that it lasts even longer.

SORRY NO PICTURE!! I hope your still with me!

Step 6. Hot glue a tiny strip of velcro or any other type of closure you would like.... i LOVE buttons. Attach a handle of your desire.... and the intellegent people who questioned my ribbon were right so that is not exactly the best choice so please tell me if you discover awesome ideas while youre crafting.

i hope this wasnt too hard to follow and please dont hesitate to ask me any questions you may have! Enjoy and keep a lookout for these bags to be sold somewhere! ( Let me know if u have anywhere that would)

<3 Melissa

« Last Edit: August 11, 2005 05:37:58 PM by craftin pretty » THIS ROCKS   Logged
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005 05:42:26 PM »

Just a thought - you could take the staples of of the magazine and use the two page sections to make a larger bag or portfolio!
Off to dig magazines out of the trash can - I was on a throwing out thing!
Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
craftin pretty

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005 05:46:40 PM »

Shocked

thats a really good idea i never thought about it... but is there glue or anything... i think some of them have glue that gets really sticky but its definitly worth a try thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2005 05:49:26 PM »

Mine only have staples - three down the middle and rather easy to pull out!
I'm trying it out as we type!!!!!
Thanks - selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
craftin pretty

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2005 05:50:42 PM »

good luck! and thanks again for the suggestion
THIS ROCKS   Logged
star69

Summer swappin' fever and writing inspiration!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2005 02:12:07 PM »

I might try that. That looks awesome to make with an old Vogue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Starting Projects
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Crochet Stitches
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Advance Patterns
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Working With Diagrams
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Cluster Stitches
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...