A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 56
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Circular Shrug / Vest - Scale Model - TUTORIAL  (Read 246184 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mamaloo
« Reply #290 on: October 10, 2005 04:45:44 PM »

I'm definately a voluptuous woman (which is why I included mention of some changes that might be appropriate for us gals who carry a lot of extra junk in the trunk - and under our arms and in our bras, and stuffed into our panties and probably on our backs.... Hahaha!) and I think that if you are following the instructions inspired by julsey, you'll be fine. 

I think this pattern is super forgiving, what with all that stretchy ribbing.  Swatch up your gauge and determine your measurements for the garment based on YOUR measurements.  Take back the KNIT! 

I'm doing mine pretty chunky using some handpainted Colonia (on 7.5mm needles, which makes it a good tight fabric).  I'll get a pic of progress up after I get into the mock rib a little more, but with the chunky and my chunky butt, I'm used one hank on the first rib section.  I think that's 145 metres.  I'm guessing it'll take about 3 - 3 1/2 hanks of my yarn, or around 500 metres of bulky yarn (or chunky?  which is the smaller of the two? It's bigger than aran weight, anyway).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhiandmoi
« Reply #291 on: October 10, 2005 09:30:28 PM »

The width of the piece should correspond to the width of your back. The length should correspond to the circumference of your arm with some extra for boobage. I am considered petite but I have normal boobage so for a small person I look busty. I am going to do an extra couple of inches in the middle part to accomodate for the boobage. I think a good measurement would be to take the profile measurement of one boob and then add double of that to your arm circumference measurement. So if your arm circumference is 18 and then your boob profile is 5 your length would be 28 inches. Then you can do the ribbed section as thick as you want. If you are very curvey you might want to do 6 or 7 inches instead of 5 to keep the scale of the ribbing portion
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mayerlove
« Reply #292 on: October 11, 2005 06:46:19 PM »

i did a shrug length one on purpose. sorry to confuse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
athena404
« Reply #293 on: October 11, 2005 07:13:10 PM »

ooooooo
cool!!!
love it!!
all of the fos are so cute!
mamalool, would you mind sending me the pattern aswell?
thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crabby
Tall, crabby, crafty.

This dog rules

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: October 12, 2005 10:23:22 AM »

Thanks mamaloo for posting the pattern - it was something that I meant to do, but never got around to doing.

I've finished my first attempt at this, but you can tell from the pics that I botched the sizing.

It's cute and all, but I'd like it to at least close over my wee boobies.  It should fit my neice, who is *tiny*. 

I knit 5 inches of ribbing, and just over 15" of mock rib.  I'm tall, so the 15" was a total pipe dream - I was just so sick of mock rib!  And, I cast on for the width of my shoulders (clearly), without adding the extra  4" - DOH!  Idiot!

A few notes about the yarn.  I used Red Heart Super Saver (on sale for $2.25 for like 364 yards) because of this being an experimental pattern.  It was my first time using the Red Heart, and it was scratchy and plasticy (plastic-y?) to knit with.  But!  After washing it, the damn stuff is pretty soft and stretchy.  I am shocked and humbled - I had been such a yarn snob!  I just might keep this stuff in mind for future projects that I need to be machine washable and durable.  Who woulda thunk it?!   Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

luv2stitch

Sometimes it's knit and sometimes it's crochet.

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 12, 2005 10:53:20 AM »

Your shrug is cute! I like your color choice. I will have to use the Red Heart and make one for my daughter. Your knitting looks so  nice and even...great tension.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010 10:47:05 AM by jungrrl - Reason: please remove img tags when quoting » THIS ROCKS   Logged
HelenaJane

I am Vodkasan Tobacci Tao!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: October 12, 2005 12:22:57 PM »

I bet one could go and pick up those stitches around the arms and make this long sleeved! And WHEEE! less seaming! My fave!
I'm going to attempt this maybe this week. I wonder if I can figure out how to make it maternity style! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog! KNITTING FOR BOOZEHAGS....
www.knittingforbooz ehags.com
jillofalltrades
« Reply #297 on: October 12, 2005 12:25:43 PM »

Umm...I just bought one of these and you guys are just whipping them out on the fly. Are they easy to make? I do not even know if I could Knit a scarf, is there any hope for me? What neddles do you need etc. I just may have to step up the knitting game here. Does anyone know if you can make them on a hat loom? Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DeliaRana
« Reply #298 on: October 12, 2005 12:31:01 PM »

Umm...I just bought one of these and you guys are just whipping them out on the fly. Are they easy to make? I do not even know if I could Knit a scarf, is there any hope for me? What neddles do you need etc. I just may have to step up the knitting game here. Does anyone know if you can make them on a hat loom? Thanks.

I am working on one using the knifty knitter round loom set.  I am using the yellow and red looms.  I am also adding sleeves to mine.  I hope to have it done today and will try to post pics tomorrow. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wokeupafraud
it's always you in my big dreams

andrew mcmahonnnnn <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: October 12, 2005 01:06:37 PM »

pick any yarn you like then needles that work. just do a little math.

if you can knit/purl increase/decrease you can definatly do this.

I bet it could be done on a loom! it'd be double thick though, so i think you would want sleeves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

so I guess we're back to us, oh cameraman
swing the focus. In case I lost my train of
thought, where was it that we last left off?
let's pick up, pick up

http://home.promosquad.com/referal.shtml?referer=_heartacheontv&band=62
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 56 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
CC Cream Reviews
The Rules to Wearing Dark Lipstick Like a Pro
The Trick to Covering Up Age Spots
The Nail Art Trend Is Over
Top Picks for Eye Shadow Primer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...