A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 56
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Circular Shrug / Vest - Scale Model - TUTORIAL  (Read 253312 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alicesonmarie
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2005 06:25:28 PM »

ok. this is what i have figured out for mine. i am doing a 2x2 rib and starting with the long rectangle and binding off everything but the middle then working that for x length then binding off and seaming (although i have been thinking about PU sts and k2tog for the middle part like you do when you turn a heel- if that makes sense). but as far as dimensions go i have discoved that C needs to be the circumference of your upper arm and A and B need to be the same length cince they have to be sewn together. as far as what that length is.. im not sure. but im going to try about 12". i am about 4" into this. i will post as soon as i finish.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005 04:44:59 PM by alicesonmarie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keridiana
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2005 08:41:00 PM »

Here's my contribution!

I looked at the UO shrug, and it is definitely NOT a "T" nor a plain rectangle. So here's what I came up with:

<<<edited to remove broken, hotlinked image>>>

Will Crafster shrink my image?

You can see a full-sized of the above here: http://www.keridiana.com/images/blog/cv.jpg. Hopefully you can read my notes: it scanned funny. If you can't let me know!

Here's some pics of my tiny model for a 10" Pooh (uh, yeah. Not so tiny. I had to cast on  50 sts. For Pooh, I did it in one piece. There's no necessity of doing 2 pieces if the intended wearer is small.)

So this is the right side up.

Fold in half and seam up 2x2 rib sections.

See, it's a circle!

Finished view. I think I should have made the 2x2 rib sections each two rows longer, but I got lazy.

Back view.

What do you think? If you can't tell, Pooh's happy.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006 02:45:23 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hyerac
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2005 08:52:05 PM »

keri - very nice!  I have just one question - why would it need to be made in two pieces, and seamed together?  Wouldn't a long circular needle work, to keep from the back seam?

I love how different solutions are coming about for this reconstruction!  =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keridiana
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2005 08:59:48 PM »

keri - very nice!  I have just one question - why would it need to be made in two pieces, and seamed together?  Wouldn't a long circular needle work, to keep from the back seam?

I love how different solutions are coming about for this reconstruction!  =D

It's two pieces at Urban Outfitters: that's the way the original is, and I was reconstructing the original AS IS. Yes, you could just use a really really really long circular needle. (I probably will, since I have Denise interchangeables. I'd have to cast on the distance of about 3 feet, I think. Maybe 3 1/2'. And I'll probably use some lace pattern for the middle part, instead of mock rib. Not sure yet. This isn't my highest priority FO, but I really was curious to try the recon). 

As I said, for Pooh, I just did it in once piece coz he's rather tiny.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
luv2stitch

Sometimes it's knit and sometimes it's crochet.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2005 09:32:30 PM »

Just wanted to say "Thanks" for posting the tutorials. I'm loving the creativity and inspiration. I need to try this one, I'm not too fond of the other shrugs that -cut- into the armpit area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hyerac
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2005 09:35:37 PM »

It's two pieces at Urban Outfitters: that's the way the original is, and I was reconstructing the original AS IS.

Gotcha!  Thanks for clarifying!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keridiana
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2005 10:57:38 PM »

And for those of us who don't want to be swallowed by its length, I propose the following variation to my schemata!!!

Measure across back. EDIT:  ADD 4-6" TO THIS TO MAKE IT KINDA OVERSIZED AND CAUSE CAP SLEEVE FORMATION?  Figure out from gauge how many sts you'd need for that. Multiply that by 2. That's your CO #.  Knitting from bottom to top now:

CO__ sts.

*k2, p2* rib for about 5". This will be your bottom hem so you decide.  Keep count on how many rows you do here: __.

*k2tog, p2tog* across.

Now mock-rib stitch for twice the length of your armpit opening.  I think about 14-16" total, depending on how roomy you want this to be.

*p1, m1p (make 1 and purl it), k1, m1k (make 1 and knit it)* across. You want to be reversing the  2x2 rib so that when you seam the 2x2 rib sections together, you can seamlessly match up the 2x2 rib.

2x2 rib for same # of rows as you did above.

*BO2, 2x2 rib across* rep from * to * until you get a nice rounded shawl collar that is about 8" at the longest.

Cast off.

I'll try a little model of my own soon......

« Last Edit: August 02, 2005 07:53:12 PM by Keridiana » THIS ROCKS   Logged
yahaira
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2005 06:06:04 AM »

That's awesone Keridiana, you figured it out!  Once I clear off my ufo pile Ill get started on this.   

Oh and I dont remember who asked, but Yesterknits takes a few hours to a day to send you the pattern.  It's not an automated thing,  I really believe it's the one guy just sending the stuff out to people. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog --->
www.bitterpurl.com

my store --->
www.pureknits.com
ohmystars
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2005 06:15:16 AM »

ohmystars, I was just trying to figure out the dimension too.  What do you mean by 12x12" for each square?   Huh
well the T is essentially four squares - three across the top and one coming down from the middle one. so each one is 12x12 meaning the top bar is 36" across and the middle downwards bar is 24".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

guessica
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2005 08:21:53 AM »

Keridiana - YOU ARE BRILLIANT!  That's totally IT.  See what happens when we all work together? Wink

Now, a couple of questions:

(1)  what is mock rib?
(2)  how is the short people version different from the full-sized version?

Thanks for helping to figure this out!  Oh, and Pooh looks fab in his new shrug...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.figandplum.com/

a plum fine blog, with crafts and news about nothing in particular
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 56 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Use Adobe Lightroom
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using Autoflow for Automatic Documents
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Pre-Linking and Adjusting Text Frame Options
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Setting up Text Links Across Multiple Frames
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating a Layout and Duplicating Text Frames
Latest Blog Articles
October 2, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Washi Tape
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...