A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,681
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dead Butterflies  (Read 1512 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iciclegirl
Obey the Chuck

View Profile WWW
« on: January 06, 2004 08:42:20 AM »

hi I'm new!  first off this site is great!  Second I have about 12 dead butterflies, a few dragonfly wings, and one praying mantis (zorak!)  I found them all by the way, i kill nothing!  I was going tomake a few slide necklaces, but after that i'm not sure, please help.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iciclegirl
Obey the Chuck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004 08:59:41 AM »

Crafty chica rules, i have her site bookmarked  Smiley  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missy
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004 02:30:19 PM »

you could also probably put them on the outside of a candle, with hot wax. i've done this w/ dried flowers and things, but the idea of dead bugs kind of creeps me out. haha

the other thing i thought was to seal them in some beads, with polyeurethane or resin and drill a hole for a pendant. creepy, but cool jewelery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
merebeardith

I'm rad. you're rad. lets hug.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004 03:33:47 PM »

i hop this makes sense but you know those wooden container(around 8"x12") that have like wooden dividers in them so u can sort beads and stuff? well get 1 of those paint it. seal (with a drop of glue) 1 butterfly in each section. then underneath it label the butterfly with its long scientific name. if u cant find the scientific name just take 1 from ne butterfly or make 1 up! then seal shut with pexiglass. ( alot of the containers come wit the clear top!)
this looks kind of neato. its what museums scientist used to do, to put rocks, bugs, etc. on display.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skullmama
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004 05:47:56 PM »

You could make a sun catcher/curtain thing by getting clear vinyl or plastic and either makin little pockets for the dead bugs or sewing 2 pieces togther with the bugs inside in their own little sections. If spmeone had enough bugs, they could make a shower curtain. Maybe that's too gross...

Crafty chica rules!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*skullmama*
susank
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004 01:28:01 PM »

I found a few already-dead dragonflies and huge beetles while on a roadtrip, and put them in a super-deep frame (from IKEA), gluing them to the back with a bit of clear rubber cement.  It's like a simple shrine or display box.  They're each labelled with the state in which I found em.

--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ducktape_diva

Book'em good-lookin'

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005 02:45:48 PM »

I saw a really neat collage made entirely of butterfly wings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005 01:21:54 PM »

My grandparents had this "plate"... They used it for a wall hanging, but a bigger one could be used as a fruitbowl.
It was some sort of base-thingy, covered with butterfly wings. And then a glass thingy on top to protect them.

Maybe you could make some fake icecubes using some sort of non-toxic resin, and encasing the butterflies in them, and put them in a punch bowl together with real icecubes, or something. That'd be cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
xaviera
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005 04:21:11 AM »

Not really crafty, more just weird, but...

I used to work for the Bx Zoo's Butterfly Zone and we used to save the butterflies that had passed to feed to the monkeys as treats (the monkey house was right next to BZ).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PollyEsther
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005 06:40:29 AM »

I have a bunch of dead butterflies (no, I didn't kill them) I have been trying to make something cool with. The Victorians had a whole fad of butterfly-wing jewelry (if you search that term on google, you should come up with some victorian as well as modern examples). I haven't quite figured out how to do it yet, but the one important thing I learned was:

Test your glue first. Some glues (notably in my case, Crafter's Goop), will make the wings lose their color and shine. The ones I tried it on turned completely black (arg).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Darken Background - A Photography Technique
How to Draw Brain (From Pinky and the Brain)
How to Createcustom Window Stickers and Repositionable Window Graphics
How to Create a Reflected Text Effect in Photoshop
Image Reflection in Photoshop - Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...