A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,126
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: October Wedding...need gift ideas!  (Read 1581 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

StarFire
Maker of Things.

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2005 01:44:03 PM »

On Tuesday, my best friend since the 4th grade (thats 16 years!) called and told me her boyfriend proposed Sunday (July 24)...and they are getting married in October!   I so want to make them something.

I thought about doing what I had done for another of my friends....shadow box with the invite in it, but I dont know if she is doing much in the way of invites....she doesnt want anything big or fancy.  -_-

So, I've thought about etched wineglasses and a nice bottle of local wine (they live in Seattle now and he is from Canada).    But I dunno.   I feel like whatever I give her needs to be extra special and something she will use and not just hold onto because it came from me.   

I'm going to Seattle on the 1st (trip planned long before proposal) and will see what they have in person (and meet him!)....but anyone here have any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can do personal swaps!  ^_^

Pinterest!  http://pinterest.com/dmlinc2179/
wanderersarah

I can't go on, I can't go on, I will go on.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005 05:07:47 PM »

What about an afghan?  It's something that is practical and shows that you put a lot of love into it.  My friend is getting married in December and I'm planning to make one for her for her shower.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StarFire
Maker of Things.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005 10:12:36 PM »

What about an afghan?  It's something that is practical and shows that you put a lot of love into it.  My friend is getting married in December and I'm planning to make one for her for her shower.

Yeah....I have never learned to sew, knit, or crochet.   And Im not sure where to find the time or the  person to teach me.   Im not a book lernin girl when it comes to those things.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

juliel85
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Serial Crafter

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005 06:36:12 PM »

what areas of "craft" do you feel comfortable with?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JasperKat
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005 03:55:17 PM »

I don't know if you're still looking for ideas, but I went to a wedding last night and they had something that might be what you're looking for. It was a box for people to put cards into, and on all four sides of the box were pictures of the couple. The box spun (like on a lazy susan) so that you could look at all four pictures. The top was padded and covered in white fabric, with a sllit cut in it for people to slip cards into. It was very cool, I've never seen one before, and everyone talked about it.

Another idea, although it is more common, is to buy a huge mat for a picture of the couple and bring it to the reception to have everyone sign in lieu of a guestbook. You could put it on an easel near the entrance and leave some markers next to it.

Both of these seem like fairly easy crafts and personal, too!

-JK
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-JK
StarFire
Maker of Things.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005 07:42:30 PM »

Actually, I think I have decided to do the following:

When I was a the matron of honor for my best friend's wedding, my bridal shower gift ended up looking like a wedding cake!  What we ( meaning my husband and I ) did, was we used 3 varying sized round hat boxes that were covered with an ivory moire ( I hope that's the fabric ) the one that looks like wood- pattern, with cord trim.  Then each box was filled with different things, like the big bottom box had a robe and nighttgown. The second box had bubble bath,2 champagne glasses, and a bottle of champagne, and bath stuff- natural sponges, back scrubbers etc, and then massage stuff (gifts to enjoy together).  The top box had perfume, lotion and candles.  We wrapped the whole thing with white tulle to keep it in place, and just tied the tulle in a big floppy bow on top so it looked like a wedding cake.

By momof5grrls

Found at the following link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=45507.0

I know it definately sounds more like something to give as a bridal shower gift, or even at a bachlorette party, but my friend isn't going to get either of those.   So, since the reception site is also giving the special couple their own honeymoon suite after the reception, Im going to have the above gift sent to their suite before the night is over. 

I think I might also do a little something, maybe a giftcard, to place on their gift tabe at the reception.   I was asked to be a bridesmaid, and so my time is getting to be pretty short for anything extremely craft intensive.  Thanks for all the ideas though!  ^_^

THIS ROCKS   Logged

JasperKat
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005 03:36:18 PM »

Cool, I like that idea and I may adapt it for my own card box!

-JK
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-JK
StarFire
Maker of Things.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005 07:00:38 PM »

Cool, I like that idea and I may adapt it for my own card box!

-JK

Oh!   Look here:  http://www.azcentral.com/home/crafty/articles/0308craftyideas08.html

Ive always wanted to do the same for my own wedding...someday.

Ok, my next obsticle in this gift is the fact that I dont know what is up or down when it comes to champainge or wine.   Also, I was at World Market tonight and they had bottles that were just the right size for two people and thought it might be better to go that route....espically after a long reception filled with booze. 

So, any tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
More Hair Stuff for Photoshop
Selectively Colorize an Image Part 2
Digital Makeup - Lenoir Lashes - Part 2
Macho Makeover - Introduction Part 2
Match Color in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...