A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hooray! A tiger purse! *TUTORIAL*  (Read 12168 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , tiger  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

olive + orange
« on: April 05, 2004 02:51:24 PM »

Everyone wants a spring time tiger purse, right? I thought so.
 http://oliveandorange.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/tiger_purse_1.jpg
    I made this a few days ago & just now decided to post it. I like it but I think I should have shortened the straps & put them a little further up on the top. Oh well. Next time. Any other suggestions?
    I'm going to try to make a couple more. I'll write down the steps as I go along & then post them here when I'm finished.
    Hooray!

Scroll down to see how to make one!

TUTORIAL: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=4550.msg34948#msg34948
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011 10:55:48 AM by kaz814 - Reason: added link to tutorial, broken images - kaz814 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragadyanne400

Am I a llama?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004 03:01:24 PM »

that's super cute ! but tripod won't let you direct link, so just put a link to were the purse is or no one's going to be able to see it withought doing a bit of extra work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

olive + orange
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004 03:24:03 PM »

Goodness! I seem to have a few problems with tripod.
    Well, I'm working at this moment on trying to fix all this mess. So... shoot. This should work soon.
   Sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004 03:28:58 PM »

Try http://photobucket.com! They allow you to directly post the photo,a nd its really easy.

The purse is super cute! Where did you find the tiger/flowers! I love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive + orange
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004 06:36:15 PM »

I don't know what I did but something worked.

Lia-   The tiger & flowers are from my grandmother's craft closet. I got to go through it a few months ago & take whatever I wanted. She had everything in there! Most of the stuff is from the 60s & 70s so I don't know how easy it would be to find it. But I seem to remember seeing the tiger patch in a fabric store a few years ago. It's worth a try to look. The flowers would be a bit harder. But I do have about 15 left. If you want them, let me know. I'd be happy to share.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004 07:16:36 PM »

that is so darling! what's the inside like?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monsie bear
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004 07:36:25 PM »

olive + orange,
looks great!  very retro...great fabric choice, too.
lol,
monsie bear
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grrr betsy
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004 08:41:20 PM »

that is SO freakin awesome. i want one -swoon- LOVE the colors!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
craftymed
now with 2 sidekick dogs!!

Crafty with an M.D. (finally!)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004 09:30:37 PM »

lia--i've totally seen the flowers as a chain available at some fabric stores.  they come in different colors too.  they're in the section with ribbons or lace usually.  i think they should be wound on those 8-inch (-ish) plastic flat spools, if that makes sense.  i'm pretty sure they're not going to be iron-on though, but i'm realizing that sometimes those iron-on patches just don't hold up, which is a shame since they are so darn easy to apply!!

olive--cute bag too!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything I know about sewing I learned in suture class.
snazzypants
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004 09:44:02 PM »

Ohh, it's so cute. How exactly was the bag made? Is it square-bottomed? And is there a zipper on the top? It's great. I wonder if my grandmother has any patches laying around...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lara
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004 12:45:39 AM »

that's got to be the cutest bag i have ever seen, I love evrything about it, the color, the tiger, the flowers, the shape, I AM SO JEALOUS...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anna@germany
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004 01:46:55 AM »

Hello olive+orange,

this bag is sooo gorgeous!Congratulations!
Do you use a bought pattern or is this your own design?

Have a nice day+best wishes from Germany!
Anna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hello,my name is Anna,I'm handbag-addicted
olive + orange
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004 02:39:40 PM »

Goddess- The inside is the same color green as the outside is. Nothing too fancy.

grrr betsy-  I'll let you in on a little secret... I'm starting a website soon & the bag will be for sale... I'll let you know when it's up... shhh... don't tell.

anna@germany-  Thanks! It is my own design. Also, I once knew a girl from Germany who's name was Anna. In fact, I have a few friends from Germany & the girls are all beautiful! How do you guys do it?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004 08:44:49 PM by olive + orange » THIS ROCKS   Logged
anna@germany
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004 03:29:01 AM »

Hello olive+orange,
thanks!
But I don't think,that all girls from Germany are beautiful.Maybe you had very good luck,to find the nice ones  Cheesy

Have a nice day!
Anna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hello,my name is Anna,I'm handbag-addicted
olive + orange
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004 01:22:56 PM »

Ok. I tried to make this as clear as possible. I hope it makes sense!

1) Cut out your fabric
http://oliveandorange.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/craftster_project_1.jpg
*Two half circles in outer fabric & two half circles in lining. These are 14" across the bottom with a 7"radius.
*One 4"x14" outer fabric bottom panel & one 4"x14" lining bottom panel.
* Two 4"x20" outer fabric pieces for straps.
* One 4"x25" outer fabric piece for zipper panel & one 4"x25" lining piece.
* You will also need a zipper. The one I used was 9". If yours is different, you'll need to adjust some things.
*** I suggest you use interfacing. I don't have the money for any so I couldn't. Also, you might want to add a board to the bottom so it doesn't droop.***

2)Fold your straps in half width wise. Tuck in the edges so they're hiding. Pin & sew. This should make them about 1" wide.
http://oliveandorange.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/craftster_project_2.jpg

3) Measure 8" in (on the wrong side of fabric) from each end of the lining for your zipper panel. Then, fold your lining in half, width wise, so you can make a 1/8" mark right in the middle of your 4" wide lining. These should be made where your 8" marks are. Now conect your marks so it looks like a long "I" on it's side. Do the same with your outer fabric.
http://oliveandorange.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/craftster_project_3.jpg

4) Cut along your sideways "I" making "V" shapes at the ends. Start the points of the "V"s about 1/4" from your 1/8" marks. (It should look like this >--------< , NOT LIKE THIS  l------l .) Do the same with your outer fabric.
http://oliveandorange.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/craftster_project_5.jpg

5) Pin back flaps & sew. Same with the outer fabric. This makes the hole for your zipper to peek through.

6) Now take your freshly sewn lining, zipper & outer fabric & pin them together. Make sure the wrong sides of your lining & zipper are together & the right side of your zipper is snuggled against the wrong side of the outer fabric. Sew this little "zipper sandwich" together around the zipper. Not around the edges of your fabric!
http://oliveandorange.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/craftster_project_6.jpg

7)Put that off to the side & grab your lining half circles & 4"x14" lining panel. Pin, right sides together, the 14" edge of one of your half circles to the 14" edge of your bottom panel. Sew, but leave a 6" hole in the middle. Now, pin, rights sides together, your other half circle to the other edge. Sew it up, no holes this time! Do the same with your outer fabric but no holes at all! Ok? Ok!
http://oliveandorange.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/craftster_project_7.jpg

*** This would be a good time to put any crazy appliques or fancy embroidery on your outer fabric. Or maybe even make yourself a cocktail.***

8 ) Pin & sew, right sides together, lining sides to the lining on your zipper panel.
http://oliveandorange.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/craftster_project_9.jpg

9)Pin your straps onto outer fabric where you want them.
http://oliveandorange.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/craftster_project_10.jpg

10) Unzip the zipper. Pin & sew, right sides together, your outer fabric to the outer fabric of your zipper panel & the straps.
http://oliveandorange.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/craftster_project_11.jpg

11) Reach into your cozy little bag through the hole in your lining & pull it rigt side out. Now tuck in the ends of your lining hole & sew closed.
http://oliveandorange.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/craftster_project_12.jpg

12) Tuck in your lining, go outside, find a rather strapping young gentleman & have him pose for a picture modeling your new bag. Hooray!
http://oliveandorange.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/craftster_project_14.jpg
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011 10:54:38 AM by kaz814 - Reason: broken images - kaz814 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lia

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2004 01:37:28 PM »

lia--i've totally seen the flowers as a chain available at some fabric stores.  they come in different colors too.  they're in the section with ribbons or lace usually.  i think they should be wound on those 8-inch (-ish) plastic flat spools, if that makes sense.  i'm pretty sure they're not going to be iron-on though, but i'm realizing that sometimes those iron-on patches just don't hold up, which is a shame since they are so darn easy to apply!!

I've seen something similar to the flowers at the store actually!
But I was most interested in the tiger. It's adorable!

olive+orange, i sent you a PM about the tiger, but I thought you meant you had 15 tigers! Not the flowers, which I have seen before. I will be on the lookout for more tigers, hopefully I can find them one day! Thanks

Oh, and what a great tutorial! It makes perfect sense.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Slasm
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2004 09:25:10 PM »

those purses are TOO COOL! i really like the lining on the second purse and i think i may have to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChasingMyStar
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2004 08:03:59 AM »

oh my goodness! that is sooo adorable! i might judt have to make one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
getinmumouthstuff

get in my mouth!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2004 07:34:23 PM »

purrrr.

these instructions are so great.  i'm going to make one tonight!

I'm going to try to cut up an old floppy plastic binder to use as the base--think I should try to sew it into the sides?

cj
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive + orange
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2004 10:05:05 AM »

cj- I think it would be just fine if you were to sew binder pieces to the sides. Are you talking inside or out? If you were to put them inside, I would suggest sewing them onto the lining. The outer fabrics I used were pretty stiff but the lining on the second one is kinda droopy. Also, thanks for purrrring. Hee hee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
getinmumouthstuff

get in my mouth!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2004 01:55:57 PM »

I was thinking about cutting up a binder like a modified unassembled box (looks like a lower case T or a cross--with scores along each major intersection.  The bottom would be the base, and the pieces going into the sides would be shorter but long enough to hold the base in place and give the purse some structure.  All in the place of interfacing.

I'm not sure my machine is going to like plastic.  If not, I'll just cut out a base for the bottom and fit it in there.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
amelia bedelia

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2004 08:17:05 PM »

wow! i love the fabric that you used for the lining! its so cute! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
craftymed
now with 2 sidekick dogs!!

Crafty with an M.D. (finally!)

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2004 09:10:00 PM »

olive-

fantastic bags!!  but i'm more interested in where your male model found that Captain EO t-shirt!!!  that's from back in the day.  it must be a collector's item by now (no offense, obviously since i'm old enough to remember it).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything I know about sewing I learned in suture class.
olive + orange
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2004 09:55:43 PM »

craftymed-    Thanks! But I have some bad news. My model (I like to call him"Eric") "borrowed" the shirt from a girl he once had a crush on. I think that was about 8 years ago. It was very nice of her to let him borrow it for that long, huh? The saddest part of that little tale is that he's never even been to Disneyland/world to see Captain EO! Now, of course, it's too late. I shed a tear for him. You might want to check Ebay for your own shirt. I'm pretty sure I've seen them there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive + orange
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2004 12:36:08 PM »

If anyone has made one of these, I'd like to see it! Don't be shy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
razberryswrl
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2004 02:01:37 PM »

This was my first time sewing anything somewhat complicated (i've been making easy pouches)  I am pretty happy with how this turned out for it being my first time.  Next time I'll definitely buy interfacing material.  Thank you for the tutorial!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
EnchantedSushi
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2004 05:27:37 PM »

Ah! I'm in love with the tiger bag! Once I have time, I definitely must make one. Thanks for the instructions. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dmckenzie100

TheQuietPartyAnimal

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2004 06:10:50 PM »

that's great! I love the colors....lol nice strapping gentelman Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It takes a lot of money to look this cheap.
olive + orange
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2004 09:28:53 PM »

razberryswrl- You're welcome! Your bag is so cute! I love your color choices. I'm glad you're happy with how it turned out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eruvande
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2004 05:30:17 AM »

I love those cute bags!
Especially the green one, if you had sold that in stores, I would have bought it Cheesy
Looks soooo sweet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive + orange
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2004 04:03:59 PM »

Yay!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005 03:47:55 PM by olive + orange » THIS ROCKS   Logged
prettypinkelephant
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2004 07:40:34 PM »

I LOVE the purses! I am slowly easing into learning how to sew and i can't wait to try to make one of these! I love your site too olive! I lurve the pillows!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
furgodwuerlivn2002
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2004 01:23:23 PM »

Wow!! Once again!! LOL!! I'm Impressed!! Making bags like these are wonderful gifts!!

- Mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please check out my newest Blog:

http://bakingasweetobsession.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Write Query Letters
Gerbera Daisies from Afloral & How To Use Them
How to Make a Calla Lily Boutonniere
Chris Stone Talks About Berkleemusic
How to Make a Silk Flower Swag
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...