A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,526
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DC numbers  (Read 3831 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

surfergrl311

&& don't be so so sure. this is all it adds up to

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005 12:26:09 PM »

i was actually talking to my grandpa about this the other day, he was in the postal service for as long as i can think of! but he was saying that if your sending the US..things rarely get lost..its when your sending outside of the US something could happen...and that your packages sent through the US usually get to there destination eventually... Tongue but i still like this theory, and if my package was lost..i'd be happy to resend! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mthompson828

Don't forget to bring a towel!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005 01:07:02 PM »

The post office has info about delivery confirmation here:
http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/extraservices/deliveryconfirmationservice.htm

As they say in the stockbroker disclaimers, "Past performance is no guarantee of future success" or something along those lines.  Just because someone has had a specific number of successful swaps, does NOT mean that they will not a, flake, or b, have something come up and not send/forget to send.  On the receiving end, I think it's nice to have that number because it gives an extra measure of security that your package is on the way.  Also, sometimes the PO misdelivers.

DC is only 45 cents or 55 cents depending on which way you ship.  You can get it on almost any type of shipping you choose.  If you're paying more, maybe what you are actually getting is another form of tracking, such as insurance or registered mail?

I think it's worth the extra half a buck.  Just my two cents worth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pibbgirl
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005 01:13:29 PM »

DC numbers don't stop people from flaking though.  The only people getting DC numbers are the non-flakers and they don't do much for them because they are not for tracking!  And the numbers that never get registered with the usps but are paid for are very pointless and a waste of money!  I always feel like I was taken when I pay for DC and my partner says she got my package but the usps website says there is no record of that DC#.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

surfergrl311

&& don't be so so sure. this is all it adds up to

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005 01:24:40 PM »

DC numbers don't stop people from flaking though.  The only people getting DC numbers are the non-flakers and they don't do much for them because they are not for tracking!  And the numbers that never get registered with the usps but are paid for are very pointless and a waste of money!  I always feel like I was taken when I pay for DC and my partner says she got my package but the usps website says there is no record of that DC#.

yep happened to me in the earring binge swap..the DC #'s didn't even work... Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saturn
The Ditzy Gypsy

Dance first. Think later.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005 08:42:10 AM »

I've been selling a few things on e-bay and have found the same problems with DC's. Plus our post office is always crowded and everything I've shipped with them has gotten damaged in some way. I have a feeling that it's just my branch though. So I avoid it like the plague.

Now I go to the UPS store. Nothing ever broke with them...yet... and I get a tracking number for just shipping ground. Might be a little more expensive, but I find it's worth the peace of mind (esp. if you have to go to my local post office!) ^_^.

Something I've been doing though is scanning the parcel shipping order slip and e-mailing it to the buyer. This gives them all the possible information on their package and lets them know I'm on top of things. Perhaps this could stand in for a DC number if there are problems attaining one? It proves that you sent it and does give a shipping order number that I believe you can call and ask about if there are no other tracking numbers. Might be good for swaps too...

I could be wrong though. I'm just a newbie here :-p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently in:
WWP Round 29 Lughnasdagh 2011 swap!
Date to send item by: 07-25-11
star69

Summer swappin' fever and writing inspiration!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005 02:08:05 PM »

Well, in the case of the package not getting delivered, I'd resend the items as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
norsgoebel

the cutest of the 7 deadly sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005 07:52:35 PM »

I've been using the click and ship service from the US post and it has made things a lot easier.  They include the DCN for no additional charge, you can print out the label and drop the package in a mail box or even have your postal worker pick it up the next day when they deliver. For those that live in apt's you couldn't use the pick up service and you would have to have a credit card to use the service online, but it has saved me alot of time doing it this way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a peek!
http://www.polytypicarts.etsy.com

2 sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm sh*tfaced...N.P.
mayerlove
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2005 08:09:24 PM »

I've been using the click and ship service from the US post and it has made things a lot easier.  They include the DCN for no additional charge, you can print out the label and drop the package in a mail box or even have your postal worker pick it up the next day when they deliver. For those that live in apt's you couldn't use the pick up service and you would have to have a credit card to use the service online, but it has saved me alot of time doing it this way.

where can i find more info on this? i have no working printer, but i could go to the library and print one out and mail it across the street at the PO! do you have to have a credit card?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
knitster88
aka christinanne

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch cherry bomb

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2005 08:19:28 PM »

im also very curious. can i print it onto regular paper and put clear packing tape over? i dont wanna buy some sticky lables that id use only when i swap but i like the idea ALOT
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look what youve done to me now, youve made me perfect
norsgoebel

the cutest of the 7 deadly sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2005 03:54:10 AM »

The link is   www.USPS.com    You do have to have a credit card because you are purchasing the postage online.  You don't need any special labels, you print it out on regular paper, cut out the label part and tape it to your package
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a peek!
http://www.polytypicarts.etsy.com

2 sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm sh*tfaced...N.P.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Center of the Table Decoration
How to Make a Kirigami Tree
How to Make a Kirigami Dragon Fly
How to Make a Kirigami Snowflake
How to Make a Kirigami Flower
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...