A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,402
Currently Running With Scissors:
809 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DC numbers  (Read 3769 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mayerlove
« on: July 28, 2005 10:45:15 AM »

OK, don't kill me for my opinion.

I think people who have done quite a few swaps should be able to just send without a DC number. I know they're used to make sure people send, but what about the reliable people? of course, i know not everyone can be perfect and may just have he slightest bit of ______ (cant think of the right word for it) and think they can just not send because they're considered "reliable." If you like swaps and do alot of them, i think the DC numbers can get pricey.

I know things can get lost in the mail, but maybe if you don't use a DC number, then you "bind" yourself to making a new package. this would require the partner to be "reliable" too.

here's my proposition:

certain amount of posts, certain number of positive swaps to be "reliable"

only two reliable people would swap together, eliminating the liar factor.
if not enough "reliable"swappers joined for people to be paired, then the reliable swapper would still have to get a DC, just like the other swappers.

who else has an opinion about this? am i totally wrong? is the DC a requirement not worth messing with? this would be alot of work, seeing who is "reliable" and the isn't.

Comments, anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
Bobolink
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Note the knitting pirate chalk bag!

I hate it when rocks eat my head

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005 01:04:46 PM »

I'm confused- when I sent with a DC number it was only 55 cents.
I think the idea is to help when packages get lost in the mail, which has nothing to do with the reliability of the sender and maybe help the sender / receiver track lost packages and recover the crafts into which the sender put a lot of work and effort. To me that would be worth such a small amount of money, even replacing one package would add up in cost to a lot of DC numbers. I think it also helps when your partner doesn't respond or say they received their stuff. You have proof that it was delivered for feedback issues and also so you don't keep worrying and wondering when they'll receive.
That's just my opinion though and I am a new swapper, but I have to admit it was nice to know for sure where my package was after I sent it out- well worth 55cents to me.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005 01:08:34 PM by Bobolink » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Bobolink
Sorry I've been absent! Can't wait to chill with you all again Smiley
Anyone want to swap alphabet ATCs?
pibbgirl
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005 01:37:59 PM »

Delivery confirmation numbers don't track the package so they wouldn't be any help if the package was lost.  But I do think they are a good thing to have so when the "reliable" people send to someone who doesn't acknowledge having received a package there is proof that it really was sent and received.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that is really all they are good for.  Other than proof that you did send if it got lost in the mail...even if it wouldn't track down the lost package.

Also, kind of unrelated, I've gotten plenty of packages where my swap partner sent me a dc# and when I put it in the usps site it says there is no record of it.  But when I get the package there is the dc sticker on it, but somehow it never got into the usps system.  Has anyone else experienced that?  This has happened to me so many times to me that I kind of agree with jm2luver21 that dc is not worth it once you have proved yourself as a swapper.
55 cents each does add up if you are in lots of swaps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005 02:46:25 PM »

People who have been considered "reliable" have flaked also. I think the DC helps the organizer track if they have to. Its only $.55 cents more and it does prove that you shipped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costum e maven.
surfergrl311

&& don't be so so sure. this is all it adds up to

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005 03:09:08 PM »

really? 55 cents? well i find that they are pretty costly around here, i'm not sure why? but i sort of agree with jm2luver21...b/c DC #'s can get costly, and i know reliable people could flake but i find that when given DC #'s for a package..i rarely use them and i hate feeling like its a waste but it kinda does! also i've had the problem where when i put them in....at the usps website..they don't have any record of the DC #'s at all...it makes me feel bad for the person that gave them to me b/c it was kinda like whats the point if i can't check them! i like that reliable idea but there will always be goods and bads to it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mayerlove
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005 04:32:23 PM »

People who have been considered "reliable" have flaked also. I think the DC helps the organizer track if they have to. Its only $.55 cents more and it does prove that you shipped.

i realize this.
they are alot more than 55 cents here. not sure why. the package has to be a certain size and everything. if you dont send priority, at my PO, then basically you can't get a DC. this is costly. 4-5$ per swap PLUS the material for whatever you send. i sent a package today, the usual size i send, and for some reason, the people at the post office wouldnt give me a DC number. if it was 55 cents i certainly wouldnt be complaining.
is ther anywhere i can see the rules for shipping? it seems fishy that sometimes i can get one and sometimes i can't.

Thanks for your comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
krazigal72

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005 04:57:08 PM »

i'm going to be honest. lately, i rarely get DC.  You all know I'm super reliable, and when I'm sending out 10 packages, 10 dcs are 1. pricey, and 2. alot of work to write out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
surfergrl311

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005 05:12:30 PM »

i'm going to be honest. lately, i rarely get DC.  You all know I'm super reliable, and when I'm sending out 10 packages, 10 dcs are 1. pricey, and 2. alot of work to write out.

i agree, most of the time my postal service people give me weird excuses of why i can't get DC #'s but i try to get them when i can!  Roll Eyes its hard to explain sometimes why i couldn't get them since they can be pricey!..i feel awful saying that i can't get them because i'm too dead broke Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krazigal72

Jeweled Whore

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005 05:53:49 PM »

yeah. if something did happen to my package, i'd resend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
mayerlove
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005 07:53:19 AM »

see? that's what i mean. you are a reliable person and you know that if the package gets lost, you'd resend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

surfergrl311

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005 12:26:09 PM »

i was actually talking to my grandpa about this the other day, he was in the postal service for as long as i can think of! but he was saying that if your sending the US..things rarely get lost..its when your sending outside of the US something could happen...and that your packages sent through the US usually get to there destination eventually... Tongue but i still like this theory, and if my package was lost..i'd be happy to resend! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mthompson828

Don't forget to bring a towel!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005 01:07:02 PM »

The post office has info about delivery confirmation here:
http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/extraservices/deliveryconfirmationservice.htm

As they say in the stockbroker disclaimers, "Past performance is no guarantee of future success" or something along those lines.  Just because someone has had a specific number of successful swaps, does NOT mean that they will not a, flake, or b, have something come up and not send/forget to send.  On the receiving end, I think it's nice to have that number because it gives an extra measure of security that your package is on the way.  Also, sometimes the PO misdelivers.

DC is only 45 cents or 55 cents depending on which way you ship.  You can get it on almost any type of shipping you choose.  If you're paying more, maybe what you are actually getting is another form of tracking, such as insurance or registered mail?

I think it's worth the extra half a buck.  Just my two cents worth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pibbgirl
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005 01:13:29 PM »

DC numbers don't stop people from flaking though.  The only people getting DC numbers are the non-flakers and they don't do much for them because they are not for tracking!  And the numbers that never get registered with the usps but are paid for are very pointless and a waste of money!  I always feel like I was taken when I pay for DC and my partner says she got my package but the usps website says there is no record of that DC#.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

surfergrl311

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005 01:24:40 PM »

DC numbers don't stop people from flaking though.  The only people getting DC numbers are the non-flakers and they don't do much for them because they are not for tracking!  And the numbers that never get registered with the usps but are paid for are very pointless and a waste of money!  I always feel like I was taken when I pay for DC and my partner says she got my package but the usps website says there is no record of that DC#.

yep happened to me in the earring binge swap..the DC #'s didn't even work... Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saturn
The Ditzy Gypsy

Dance first. Think later.

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005 08:42:10 AM »

I've been selling a few things on e-bay and have found the same problems with DC's. Plus our post office is always crowded and everything I've shipped with them has gotten damaged in some way. I have a feeling that it's just my branch though. So I avoid it like the plague.

Now I go to the UPS store. Nothing ever broke with them...yet... and I get a tracking number for just shipping ground. Might be a little more expensive, but I find it's worth the peace of mind (esp. if you have to go to my local post office!) ^_^.

Something I've been doing though is scanning the parcel shipping order slip and e-mailing it to the buyer. This gives them all the possible information on their package and lets them know I'm on top of things. Perhaps this could stand in for a DC number if there are problems attaining one? It proves that you sent it and does give a shipping order number that I believe you can call and ask about if there are no other tracking numbers. Might be good for swaps too...

I could be wrong though. I'm just a newbie here :-p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently in:
WWP Round 29 Lughnasdagh 2011 swap!
Date to send item by: 07-25-11
star69

Summer swappin' fever and writing inspiration!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005 02:08:05 PM »

Well, in the case of the package not getting delivered, I'd resend the items as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
norsgoebel

the cutest of the 7 deadly sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005 07:52:35 PM »

I've been using the click and ship service from the US post and it has made things a lot easier.  They include the DCN for no additional charge, you can print out the label and drop the package in a mail box or even have your postal worker pick it up the next day when they deliver. For those that live in apt's you couldn't use the pick up service and you would have to have a credit card to use the service online, but it has saved me alot of time doing it this way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a peek!
http://www.polytypicarts.etsy.com

2 sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm sh*tfaced...N.P.
mayerlove
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2005 08:09:24 PM »

I've been using the click and ship service from the US post and it has made things a lot easier.  They include the DCN for no additional charge, you can print out the label and drop the package in a mail box or even have your postal worker pick it up the next day when they deliver. For those that live in apt's you couldn't use the pick up service and you would have to have a credit card to use the service online, but it has saved me alot of time doing it this way.

where can i find more info on this? i have no working printer, but i could go to the library and print one out and mail it across the street at the PO! do you have to have a credit card?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitster88
aka christinanne

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch cherry bomb

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2005 08:19:28 PM »

im also very curious. can i print it onto regular paper and put clear packing tape over? i dont wanna buy some sticky lables that id use only when i swap but i like the idea ALOT
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look what youve done to me now, youve made me perfect
norsgoebel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2005 03:54:10 AM »

The link is   www.USPS.com    You do have to have a credit card because you are purchasing the postage online.  You don't need any special labels, you print it out on regular paper, cut out the label part and tape it to your package
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a peek!

knitster88
aka christinanne

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch cherry bomb

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2005 06:24:46 AM »

how do you figure out the correct postage, i mean weight wise?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look what youve done to me now, youve made me perfect
norsgoebel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2005 10:44:04 AM »

you have to weigh it, I have a digital scale I use for cooking and that's how I weigh mine.  they also ask you about size and dimension but it's pretty easy all in all
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a peek!

Chelsa
Chelsa

Fashion Design

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2005 06:33:01 PM »

At the post office in my town there is a computer that weighs your package, asks for some info, then prints out a sticker for you. I can't figure out how to get DC's or if it comes on the sticker, but I haven't participated in some swaps i wanted to do because i can't figure out dc's. Even if post offices only charge 55 cents, it add up, especially those that send 5-6 things in the earing binge swap. I would much rather spend the extra money on their craft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why are you trying to fit in,
When you're born to stand out!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Davy Rothbart Talks About Requiem for a Paper Bag
Meet Photojournalist Kevin Rivoli
Sandra Brown Talks About Rainwater
Kate Feiffer Talks About Which Puppy
Chasing Brooklyn Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...