A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: first sewing machine - Brother CS-8060?  (Read 2101 times)
Tags for this thread: brother  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunkistaddict
« on: July 28, 2005 09:29:40 AM »

I've just taken up sewing over the past couple months. I've made pillows, purses and I'm currently working on a quilt. I've been using my Nana's Singer from 1930. It still works great but I'm looking for something more compact (I've been home all summer and am going back to school and moving into an apartment with a few friends in a month) with a button-holer and some more stitch functions. I really want something I can quilt with, as well.

I found a Brother CS8060 on amazon.com for $170 cheaper than MSRP (42% off - amazon is great). The customer reviews on amazon are great but I was just wondering if anyone on craftster has this machine or any Brother machine. Any recommendations or comments are much appreciated, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~meg
sweetpadee

I'll diffuse you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005 09:48:31 AM »

I have a Brother that I bought at Costco quite a few years ago, and I think it's one of the best investments I've ever made. I myself learned how to sew on my mom's 1970 Singer then bought a cheapy Simplicity from JoAnn's. I'm glad I upgraded!

You might want to find a local sewing machine retailer that has machines on display also, they usually allow you to try them out. That's what I did when I decided I needed a new one.

And judging from the Brother website, $170 is a good price, seeing as the MSRP is about $360!

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftynicole14
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005 01:39:39 AM »

i have a brother and it works really good i didn't buy it but my parents did i actually like it better than a singer, but thats only b/c i think it easier.;
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pierceandcompany
Pierce and Company

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005 11:43:57 AM »

Right now, KMART is selling euro-pro sewing machines.  If you've never heard of euro-pro, they are "solid metal construction" with a 25 year warranty, and you can sew through nearly 10 layers of denim, this machine, the 385x model, has 13 stitches, I think.  It's going for only $99 and with a 25 year warranty you can't beat that.  They usually sell these machines on the home shopping network, I just got one from kmart, and I love it.
enjoy.
pierce and company Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pibbgirl
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005 12:20:22 PM »

I have a brother PS3100 that I love.  I agree with the person who said to call around and find a store with it on display though that you could go try it out at. 

After reading the reviews on that site I will tell you something the dealers told me, which should be taken with a grain of salt I am sure!:  Brother will make a few cheapie machines for selling at Walmart and such and the dealers don't want to touch them and will tell you they are junk.  I think that is what one of the people who left reviews was talking about.
I'm not sure I believe all that though.  I think it looks like a nice machine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

abblie

I am, you know. Crafty, that is.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005 08:32:57 AM »

I just got a Brother CS-8150 and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!  I used it for the first time last night and I ended up finishing an entire dress.  (Who needs sleep?)

I took a chance and bought it from a liquidator on eBay.  The listing said it powered on, but had not been tested in depth.  I figured if I kept my bid low, I could have it repaired and still get a good deal.  I ended up paying $58.00 plus $12.00 shipping.  So, $70.00 for a machine with an MSRP of $499, (at least it was at some point!)  I was a little scared to try it out, so it sat in my bedroom for two weeks, until last night.

I was sooooo pleased that almost every piece was included, notions, French and English manuals, and FEET, FEET, FEET!  About a thousand different feet!  It's missing the little net sockie-thing you put over spools of lightweight thread when you're filling a bobbin so it doesn't come off the spool too fast and it was also missing the little flip-down table-thingie.  (I think that would have irritated me and probably would have ended up flying across the room!)  The machine was slightly damaged--the case was cracked in one spot.  That's it, purely cosmetic.

I want to go home and SEW!!!

:-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Solar System - Photoshop
How to Create a Pong Game Part 2/2- Scratch
How to Create an Abstract Design Element - Photoshop
How to Resize Pictures - Adobe Photoshop
How to Use the Motion Blur Filter - Adobe Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...