A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,201
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ANTS! why won't u leave my kitty's food alone?  (Read 3267 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

d
princesshammerhead

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005 06:42:09 PM »

Get a jar and poke a few holes in the lid. Inside the jar put a wad of toilit paper, one teaspoon of sugar or a couple of suger cubes and about 5 tablesoopns of water. Instant ant trap. Put in place of kitty's bowl, the ants can get in but not out. If the 'worker' ants doesn't bring food back to the queen she dies. No more ant colony. d
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?

http://princesshammerhead.blogspot.com/

Personal swap anyone?
minyad
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006 07:47:52 PM »

Also double check the kitty, especially rubbing the backs of his legs where our calf would be and those bends he cant really reach. When I had the ant vs cat food problem, Asa was getting bitten by the ants as they tried to get there... he had so many bites on the backs of his heels and calf area that it formed huge welts. Luckily I was paying attention and when he started acting wierd took him to the vet. Discovered my cat is allergic to ants  Roll Eyes 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
viciouskittie
one crafty bitch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006 07:17:56 PM »

i had a similiar problem with my outside kitties food dishes. i jsut went to the dollar store and got a bowl that is a little larger than their regular food dish and added some water. you just need to make sure you keep some water in it ...it works for me..i had it seemed like a billion ants one day in the dish. i almost cried! it was so yucky!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hi my names kate, and im a craft addict..

www.wists.com/veganedgekate
curlykel
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006 07:33:11 PM »

You might try smearing  a thin coating of petroleum jelly /vaseline around the bottom of the dishes.  We do the same on the hummingbird feeders and it has worked really well for both.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

curlykel.etsy.com
Inara
I am cute little bunny. I pose no threat to society

It's hard to work in groups when you're omnipotent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006 07:37:39 PM »

Peppermint is a great natural ant repellant.  Last time I had an ant problem, I mushed some peppermint leaves and oil into some sculpy and jammed it where the ants were coming in -  no ants since. (I'd tried the same thing with plain wood putty, and they found a way around it...maybe Sculpy is an ant repellant as well?)

Catnip works really well, too, but...well...it kinda works well on the kitty, too Wink  At least he'd already be by his food if he had the munchies when he came down  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sleep beckons. Also waves. Also makes threatening gestures and hops up and down until I notice. - Neil Gaiman

http://effulgentstudios.etsy.com
http://inara-knits.blogspot.com
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006 07:49:59 PM »

we ran into this problem when we first moved into this  house we are in now.  the exterminator  we had to eventually cal in  told is most sprays and traps  only kill the ones you see and Queen ants will move to a new area and start all over if no food is coming back. he said the best this you can do is get something that the ants take back to Queen ant  for all the colony to eat and die.  killing them  won't kill the problem  just a  few worker ants.   I know that sugar water will get  the  ones  you can  see.    not  sure what  would  really help  other than a  bait they carry back to momma eat.  GOOD  LUCK!! I know it is frustrating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
dharmadog
a.k.a. "Cheaterpants".

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006 05:22:38 PM »

We had this same problem last year. Ans leave scent trails so after you have an an attack, wipe out the trail with eco-friendly windex or something else to kill the scent. We moved the cat food to a different area of the house, and that helped. We still had ants come looking for it for a few days; a little Dr, Bronner's soap (can find at health food stores) and water in a spray bottle bumped them off without leaving a poison residue for he pets. See if you can figure out how they are geting in the house; ours were coming in along a pipe and once we found the space and blocked it up with clay they were cut off for a while.

Of course, you could also adopt an anteater....!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For crafty madness and general musings, visit my blog:
http://eatingtacoswhiledriving.blogspot.com/

Shop to help the animals! View handmade items by Rabbit Moon Artworks at http://www.craftersforcritters.com/index.php
tomico
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006 09:59:24 AM »

I usually have ant problems twice a year. I put out the traps that have the ants take the food back to the colony and within a few days don't have a problem. I will leave one or two in the kitchen and one by the kitty dish.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jewelry Making Patterns
How to Make Bead Jewelry
How to Make Bead Bracelets
All About Beads
Diamond Buying Guide
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...