A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,098
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does anyone have a red bedroom?  (Read 2959 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

16candles
Impulsive Letter Writer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005 11:25:16 AM »

i definately second the priming notion.  my lovely exotic red only turned out the way it did because of the horrifying pink primer underneath.  when one of my friends painted her walls pink and orange, she used white primer and it took way more paint to cover.  ask where you're buying the paint what colour to prime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fashion is feeding us identification.
http://www.geocities.com/dropdowngorgeous/
Neliamne
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005 04:17:26 AM »

my sister painted her bedroom a beautiful red wine merlot color, and even after the ugly fuschia primer, it still took like 8 coats of paint to get the look she wanted...
but I will admit, it does look awesome after all that work she did...
I'm thinking of doing one wall in my bedroom red (accent wall) and the rest a still darkish but not quite so dramatic color (brown or sage green).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lateralus4594
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005 04:24:56 PM »

I have red walls in my bedroom, but not like "hey-look-at-me-I'm-red!" red, more of a darker shade.  I have a black bed and brown dresser, and these seem to match the walls pretty well.  My bed is black wrought-iron and its a canopy, so to soften it up a little I draped a white curtain type thing over it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft r good.
crazysox86
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2005 09:12:25 PM »

I also have red walls in my room (all four).  I absolutely LOVE them!  They are bright and vibrant.  It's also great because since its a primary color, just about any other color goes with it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel7383
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005 09:50:30 PM »

We are painting our bedroom red, and bought some gold to rag-roll over it. We're not sure if we will end up using the gold, but I hope so. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frankierevolver
Miss M. Sassypants

Mo'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2005 09:54:08 PM »

Bright "true" reds are really stimulating so its not as good for sleep as a darker rich "brick" red would be more soothing.. and i read somewhere about the color increasing sexual energy in a room. I have no idea haha. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vestal
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2005 09:56:04 PM »

I have a red bathroom.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thommoose
Moose

mind if I borrow your light green Sharpie?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2005 10:02:24 PM »

I'd say let the things you can't really change be your guid to the shade of red--- if you have a colored carpet- make sure it coordinated with that--- if you have wood- is it a warm wood or a cool wood?  That would dictate for me what color I was going with--- changing bedding and accessories is a lot easier and cheaper than changing a flooring option.  The right red is, in fact, very neutral- something to do with wavelength and refraction and stuff like that.  

I just have to share a quick warning about the red--- in so far as the paint itself...  I had 1 accent wall in my bedroom done in red--- it was more of a cinnabar red... (which coordinates with brown VERY well...)  Anway--- it took me 2 weekends- and 3 gallons of paint... Yup- 3 to get it a consistant shade (the wall was only 14' long with 11' ceilings)  Now, the paint I used was PrattLambert- and I used a tinted primer as well...  So I didn't use cheap stuff either...  If you're in England- I've found that their emulsions tend to cover a whole lot better than the paint in the states- and are definitely better suited for vibrant colors than paints in the US--- something about the manufacture of them there, I dunno...

Anyway I kept it for about a year (constantly paint rooms...  infrequent visitors never know what to expect.)- then when I went to paint over it--- Oy! What a headache!  Red is the most difficult color to get on- and the most difficult to cover!  I ened up covering it with a charcoal color primer (2 coats primer) and a charcoal paint (2 coats) and a river rock glaze (2 coats)-   And that's how it stayed until the house was sold.  Actually I was just in love with the charcoal color--- still am...
But-- the point is- be prepared to really work for the really good results--- Oh, and I don't know if anyone's mentioned- but don't freak about about the color of the paint when it's wet...  Even latex paints take a few days to cure and mellow in the room--- so it'll probably look pinkish/purpleish for a while...

The rest of the room, btw, as a color called "Winter's Edge"- it was a white with the slightest hint of a green-yellow...  And it coordinated well with both the red and the dark gray...  The floor was a dark walnut.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...those that matter do not judge and those that judge do not matter..."  -unknown

"Can I do this? Or do I look like some sort of gay superhero?" - Sterling
BioChickiee
I'm easily satisfied with the very best

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2005 10:41:54 AM »

great, if anyone has pics or if you remember the paint brand and color that would help too
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mattbot
cut till your fingers bleed

life is like doing time for crimes i didnt commit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2005 10:56:24 AM »

i walls are bright red like a red pepper and i painted all walls and ceiling the same its not bad if you cover the windows with good curtains.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add an Inner Shadow Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add an Outer Glow Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add Footage to a Composition in After Effects CS3
How to Add Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Adjust Brightness and Contrast in Paint.NET
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...