A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: birthday cake  (Read 2105 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

williamisbeautiful
« on: April 05, 2004 11:49:32 AM »

so my sister's birthday is coming up and i think i am going to throw a surprise party because yeah it might start the year off right .... anyway she was talking about having a cake that was half chocolate and half vanilla and then do the frosting the same but in an opposite direction so basically people could have chocolate or white cake with either vanilla or chocolate icing .... think vertical lines than horizontal .... yeah i suck at explaining .... ANYWAY does anyone know how to bake a cake half chocolate and half white?  i was thinking of buying poster board and cutting it to fit in the middle fill up the sides and then take it out .... but not exactly sure .... so please help Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004 12:17:48 PM »

if i understand you correctly, if you sliced the cake in half vertically, one side would be choc. and the other van.  
i would bake 2 layers, one for each flavor.
then i'd cut each in half and stack each half on top of it's flavor companion, frosting each half separately, then pushing them together (maybe a little swirling down the seam to glue the sides together would be pretty).
make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melmelon

I'm a weird llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004 12:50:23 PM »

What about a checkerboard cake?  If you can't get your hands on the separator thing, just use a piping bag.....do two layers the same and the middle layer opposite.

here's an example ( I suck so very badly at explanations)

http://www.joyofbaking.com/CheckerboardCake.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
williamisbeautiful
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004 02:56:02 PM »

that is the coolest cake ever thank you so much
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

No Beefcake Without Irony

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004 03:29:20 PM »

I hope if somebody makes "the coolest cake on earth" they'll post! It looked fabulous but I didn't quite get the instructions!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the front porch
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
williamisbeautiful
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004 12:08:15 AM »

I hope if somebody makes "the coolest cake on earth" they'll post! It looked fabulous but I didn't quite get the instructions!  Tongue

I deffinetly will post pictures if i can figure the cake out .... but i am sort of broke do you think i would be able to make one of those tins?  i am thinking about basically using math and the circle formula (really one of the only things i remember from algebra) and cutting out two smaller circles out of poster board then one down the middle .... and then pulling out the walls once everything is set to let it cook ... ok this seems like one of those easier said than done things ... wish me luck or give me advice
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melmelon

I'm a weird llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004 08:21:18 AM »

*please keep in mind that I give LOUSY directions*

forget about making a template...it will just get messy, imo.  you need three cake pans, prepared the usual way (spray and line with parchment or grease and flour - whatever works for you).  You will need a piping bag (two is ideal, or just pipe the white first)without a tip or a good steady hand to make it even if you spoon the batter into the pans.

two of the cakes will be the same, and the third will be opposite.....as in, pipe (or spoon) a ring of white in two pans, against the outside (am I being confusing?) and a good blob in the center, then do a middle ring in the third pan.  Take the chocolate batter and pipe a ring between the center blob and outside ring in the two pans that will be the same.  In the third pan, pipe the chocolate batter in the middle and around the outside.  You want the piped batter to be the same thickness so that when it bakes its all even.

did I help or just make matters worse?  ok, just come over to my house and we'll bake one together...just to...ummm... make sure I know what I'm doing...not that I would actually want to eat this or anything.

mel
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bevrockin

How y'all doin, everbuddy?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004 11:55:41 AM »

I wonder how hard it would be to use a round cookie cutter to cut out the middle of a baked cake round, and then a knife to cut out the next concentric circle (maybe using a bowl slightly smaller than the cake pan as a guide).  Then, you could just swap out the cut-out pieces of the two cakes.  Or would it fall apart?  Is it worth a try?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
melmelon

I'm a weird llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004 12:58:20 PM »

Well, you need three layers to alternate to get the checkerboard effect, and you would probably need to use some sort of icing or perhaps a clear glaze to get the cut pieces to stick to one another so they don't fall apart when you stack them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
williamisbeautiful
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004 06:26:48 PM »

*please keep in mind that I give LOUSY directions*

forget about making a template...it will just get messy, imo.  you need three cake pans, prepared the usual way (spray and line with parchment or grease and flour - whatever works for you).  You will need a piping bag (two is ideal, or just pipe the white first)without a tip or a good steady hand to make it even if you spoon the batter into the pans.

two of the cakes will be the same, and the third will be opposite.....as in, pipe (or spoon) a ring of white in two pans, against the outside (am I being confusing?) and a good blob in the center, then do a middle ring in the third pan.  Take the chocolate batter and pipe a ring between the center blob and outside ring in the two pans that will be the same.  In the third pan, pipe the chocolate batter in the middle and around the outside.  You want the piped batter to be the same thickness so that when it bakes its all even.

did I help or just make matters worse?  ok, just come over to my house and we'll bake one together...just to...ummm... make sure I know what I'm doing...not that I would actually want to eat this or anything.

mel

I actually think i understand you ..... so you dont suck that much with directions ..... this will be my master piece if it ever comes out
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stephen King Talks About the Art of Storytelling
Meet Author Brenda Watson
Elise Primavera Talks About Auntie Claus
SPHDZ Book Trailer
John Freeman Talks About The Tyranny of E-mail
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...