A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Day of the dead shrine/craft swap gallery!  (Read 20242 times)
Tags for this thread: dia_de_los_muertos , shrine , day_of_the_dead  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rocknroll

I've been away, but now I'm back!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2005 05:55:25 PM »

Whoa....everyone's stuff is a-mazing! keep posting!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

megantron
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2005 06:48:03 PM »

Yea!  I think my package tried to come today... I was starting to get a little worried that the mail had forgotten me.  The slip said to pick it up sometime tomorrow after 8, so I will be on my way and back with reports.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2005 12:55:55 AM »

this is what i sent to mellyp - (sorry the pictures are so dark!)

it's a shrine to love, with glow in the dark skeletons holding hands. it's made out a clementine box, i love them. they're perfect for shrines and little shelves. -

at the top there are black heart beads, skulls and red beads - i LOVE these skull beads!

and the dishtowels, with the lady of guadalupe ironed on to white cotton, then appliqued on -

and the pouch, with a hologram of the lady of guadalupe appearing -

and what was in the pouch -

(it's funny that you like the pouch so much, i fought with it so much! my machine was having tension issues, and the threads looked wonky, so i tried lining it to cover that up, but then the lining kept getting caught in the zipper, so i ended up cutting the hologram out and remaking the whole pouch!)

i wanted to use tin work on the shrine, but i too had difficulty with it. next time i'll try the technique crafty_zary suggested.

i'm still waiting for mine, hopefully it comes soon. the tracking says there's been a bunch of attempted deliveries, but they haven't bothered to leave a parcel slip or anything.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011 08:20:32 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
viciouskittie
one crafty bitch

« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2005 02:30:52 AM »

i would go straight to the post office and see if its there..they usually only attempt so many times and then it gets sent back to the sender..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hi my names kate, and im a craft addict..

www.wists.com/veganedgekate
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2005 05:09:49 AM »

Wonderful stuff, Crafty Dame. I love the shrine you made.

Great swap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
aelphaba
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2005 09:49:54 AM »

Oh Goodness I hope you get it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
viciouskittie
one crafty bitch

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2005 07:27:28 PM »

anyone know anything about the DOD tin work? ie: where to buy the tin and how to hammer and paint it? i've always loved seeing the mirrors and nichos but they are too expensive for me to buy Tongue

Teamwang - There is a very good alternative that I use often but it is not with real tin, you can work it very similar but it is a kind of DIY-tin work: 
You need only a piece of metallic paper or metallic cardpaper (in silver or gold) that is not too thin. You can find such papers easily at the craft sections or craft shops. Just don't use aluminum paper because it is too thin and it gets damaged easily, but a thicker paper would work fine. You can mount your paper over a piece of cardpaper to make it a little thicker if you want (I mount it using doublesided tape).  Then you can cut in whatever shape you want (for example like a butterfly or a square or whatever).

And to give it a little this mexican-style full of little details and ornaments, draw some little shapes or dots or whatever pattern you want at the back of the metallic paper. They have this special tool for doing embossing, it is like a big thick needle with a round point, That would work fine. One day I could not find the tool and I was in a hurry so I tried with a real needle for crocheting and it works fine  Grin.  Do it over a piece of craft foam or so, that way you will be able to draw easily your shapes. At the end just bend it a little your final piece if you want to have it with more depth or so.
For the color, you can paint it using sharpies and immediately after applying the sharpies you remove it with a cotton ball -- the more seconds you leave the color there, the stronger it will be, but I like it light -- then you get this color-but-transparency effect and it will look very mexican-like, like real tin work. then you can glue your piece over a nicho or you can glue a little mirror over your 'tin work' or whatever. I learnt this process in Mexico and I use it often  Grin.  I hope is not confusing and that it helps you.

tonight on crafters coast to coast a woman made a "tin" frame..i think its kinda the same concept as we're talking about above....i know if you go to the hgtv site you can probably look at it and see what im talking about...im going to look for the tin..
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_home_accessories/article/0,1789,HGTV_3255_3351262,00.html
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005 07:29:06 PM by viciouskittie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hi my names kate, and im a craft addict..

www.wists.com/veganedgekate
chibiwakki
cephalopod of DESTINY!

the secret ingredient is last minute panic

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2005 09:17:33 PM »

My partner got her shrine, finally! YAY! So, she said I can post pics of it, which I will now proceed to do.

The space in the top is supposed to have an embroidered felt pin, but I forgot to get a picture of it before I had it packed and sent.

This was supposed to be the Virgen de Guadalupe, but apparently it turned out more like Mary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can lead a fool to knowledge, but you can't make him think.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It shone, pale as bone
As I stood there alone
And I thought to myself how the moon
That night, cast its light
On my heart's true delight
And the reef where her body was strewn
stopmoshun
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2005 09:50:54 PM »

its gorgeous!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

corduroy cat
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2005 02:24:08 AM »

f'n hell that's beautiful chibiwakki!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Volumizing Hair Powder
How To Get A Segmented High Ponytail
How To Tease Your Hair Properly
9 Lies About Your Hair You Probably Believe
How to Get the Sock Bun Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...