A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Day of the dead shrine/craft swap gallery!  (Read 20226 times)
Tags for this thread: dia_de_los_muertos , shrine , day_of_the_dead  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amaryllisroze
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2005 01:48:08 PM »

I know how that goes! I've recently hit a big spurt of creativity and have just been going nuts.

It just takes me awhile to finish things because I tend to plan it all out ahead of time instead of just running with the flow...

I should have some more shrines to post in the next couple of weeks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All of my photos are hosted at Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amaryllisroze/sets/

http://pinterest.com/aroze/

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2005 02:22:01 PM »

smarmycloth, wonderful polymer sugar skulls!

Since you were using a polymer clay manufactured by Polyform (bulk white Sculpey in this case), the mold release of choice would be water (a light spritz or rub with damp cloth).  Cornstach, talc, or even metallic powders will work with all brands of polymer clay too (...and those must be used for the clays put manufactured by Eberhard Faber --the Fimos--because they have different "fillers" which can get goupy with water).

There's loads of info on how to use make molded items with polymer clay (as well as making the molds themselves with polymer clay, as well as how to apply releases, remove things from molds, etc.), on this page of my site if you want lots more info:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/molds.htm

I can't quite tell how large your skulls were, but if large, you can also make them around a wad of scrunched aluminum foil (underneath) to save clay.   In your case, you could also embed one end of an opened paperclip in the foil too to help remove from the clay from the mold if you want). 

The boxed white Sculpey is a really soft polymer clay when raw, so that's another reason it was hard to remove from the mold.  The Sculpeys (particulary the bulk ones, in white or terracotta) are also much more brittle after baking than any of the other brands, so you might want to make the clay reasonably thick over the foil (or make the skull solid) if it will be stressed after baking, to help prevent chipping or breaking.

Putting a clear finish on top can help with the fragility of the Sculpeys too, or liquid clay works really well as a strengthener (but there are other factors to consider there). 
You might also want to check out one of the two acrylic finishes that clayers most often use (Varathane), since it can be applied in coats to give a glasslike shine, or items can actually be dipped in it for even thicker coats ... there's more info on Varathane, etc., on this page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm

P.S.  I thought you might also like to see several kinds of polymer clay sugar skulls done by a member of my polymer clay guild a few years ago (along with her other Dia de los Meurtos things)... so cool!
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/Halloween_etc.htm
(...click on Dia de los Muertos... then click on the tiny photo of the "skeleton lady" to see all the rest)

Don't forget to show us more when you do them!

Diane B.
GlassAttic ...polymer clay "encyclopedia"
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
viciouskittie
one crafty bitch

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2005 02:26:57 PM »

*bows to diane*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hi my names kate, and im a craft addict..

www.wists.com/veganedgekate
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2005 04:04:38 PM »

yeah, thanks so much diane!  for some reason, it didn't even occur to me to ask around craftster about this problem.  silly me!  you guys have been so helpful, i can't wait to try again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

corduroy cat
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2005 03:04:38 AM »

anyone know anything about the DOD tin work? ie: where to buy the tin and how to hammer and paint it? i've always loved seeing the mirrors and nichos but they are too expensive for me to buy Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyZary
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2005 06:25:03 AM »

anyone know anything about the DOD tin work? ie: where to buy the tin and how to hammer and paint it? i've always loved seeing the mirrors and nichos but they are too expensive for me to buy Tongue

Teamwang - There is a very good alternative that I use often but it is not with real tin, you can work it very similar but it is a kind of DIY-tin work: 
You need only a piece of metallic paper or metallic cardpaper (in silver or gold) that is not too thin. You can find such papers easily at the craft sections or craft shops. Just don't use aluminum paper because it is too thin and it gets damaged easily, but a thicker paper would work fine. You can mount your paper over a piece of cardpaper to make it a little thicker if you want (I mount it using doublesided tape).  Then you can cut in whatever shape you want (for example like a butterfly or a square or whatever).

And to give it a little this mexican-style full of little details and ornaments, draw some little shapes or dots or whatever pattern you want at the back of the metallic paper. They have this special tool for doing embossing, it is like a big thick needle with a round point, That would work fine. One day I could not find the tool and I was in a hurry so I tried with a real needle for crocheting and it works fine  Grin.  Do it over a piece of craft foam or so, that way you will be able to draw easily your shapes. At the end just bend it a little your final piece if you want to have it with more depth or so.
For the color, you can paint it using sharpies and immediately after applying the sharpies you remove it with a cotton ball -- the more seconds you leave the color there, the stronger it will be, but I like it light -- then you get this color-but-transparency effect and it will look very mexican-like, like real tin work. then you can glue your piece over a nicho or you can glue a little mirror over your 'tin work' or whatever. I learnt this process in Mexico and I use it often  Grin.  I hope is not confusing and that it helps you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chibiwakki
cephalopod of DESTINY!

the secret ingredient is last minute panic

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2005 08:11:52 AM »

I wish I knew about technique when I made my swap item, it would've made it so much cooler. I kinda wanted to do something with tin work, only I knew I didn't have the time or materials to do it with.
Maybe for the next round, then!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can lead a fool to knowledge, but you can't make him think.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It shone, pale as bone
As I stood there alone
And I thought to myself how the moon
That night, cast its light
On my heart's true delight
And the reef where her body was strewn
mellyp

QFA - you know you want to...

« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2005 08:52:59 AM »

i received my amazing package from crafty_dame today (i don't have a camera but i know she took photos so i believe she'll be posting them later). she totally "got" me and did such a rad job on the shrine, it is so beautiful! she sent me all kinds of extras too; a sweet little vinyl zip pouch that is really well made and she filled it with loads of goodies - a scapula, a rosary, lots of tiny resin beads with images of Mary and saints, little plastic charms. she also sent these gorgeous handtowels with screenprinted Virgin of Guadelupe...so freaking awesome. everything is beautifully crafted and i feel so spoiled. this is the best swap ever! thank you so much crafty_dame for being such a great partner and organizing this for us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alberta alberta - crafty goodness for you and your home
albertaalberta.etsy.com
http://albertaalberta.blogspot.com/
corduroy cat
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2005 09:26:47 AM »

thanks craftyzary, i'm definitely gonna try your method (hopefully for round 2 of this swap!) Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
viciouskittie
one crafty bitch

« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2005 01:10:32 PM »

the tin work is beautiful...if any of your try it using the paper method as talked about above, please post a picture,,im trying to imagine it and im not doing a good job!! Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hi my names kate, and im a craft addict..

www.wists.com/veganedgekate
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Star Shape Part 7/8
How to Crochet a Star Shape Part 7/8
How to Crochet a Star Shape Part 4/8
How to Crochet a Star Shape Part 3/8
How to Crochet a Star Shape Part 5/8
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...