A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: a sketchbook for my boyfriend  (Read 3959 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

viburnum
« on: July 27, 2005 05:15:21 PM »

Hello

Seeing all the cool bookbinding around here, I decided I must try! So, I just finished my first journal Smiley actually, more of a sketchbook made for my boyfriend (i do hope he'll find use for it.. mostly he prefers to draw in he's torn-out notebook..). It's still empty, I'll add some kitschy-bla later  Tongue haha.
I'm thinking of adding some sort of cover/bag for carrying-protection, since he's a solider, and a very messy one.. just haven't thought through this idea enough. If you have any suggestions I'd be thrilled to hear..

Here are a bit too many pics of it ( I'm pretty exited! my first book turned out nice Grin) :

First journal and all, I've have pretty big trouble with the glues I tried... On one hand they kept dripping through the paper cover, despite me putting on a really heavy cover paper a really thin layer of glue  (I tried Elmer's glue, and some weird varnish-glue, which i laid off pretty fast), and on the other hand they didn't get a good grip of the paper... What kind of better-than-Elmer's-glue do you use for this purpose?
Plus, I learned that if I buy heavy handmade paper for a cover, I'll regret it later when trying to get it to glue on my cardboard/fold easily when i want it to... but it did turn out nice in the end.
I used the coptic stitch tutorial at http://personal.mem.bellsouth.net/d/r/drv1913/0204.html, but didn't glue the inner pages to the cover since i liked the brown paper I put there, plus, my glues suck.

Roll Eyes I love making little useless thing to send him in the mail (though I'll probably see him much before i get to finish making him a package  Grin)

-Viburnum
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005 05:18:13 PM »

That looks awesome. As for advice...I couldn't tell you, you should see my first journal making experience....I gave up Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
needlesandpins
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005 05:31:07 PM »

that's beautiful!  i love the red paper!

as far as glues, i would REALLy reccommend wheat paste for gluing paper. it stays flexible but holds really well.  Plus, it's basically free, since all you do is boil some flour in water till it gets sticky. (i thought people who made their own wheatpaste were super hard-core, until i tried it myself and it took like three minutes)

good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What you have to realize when you write poetry, or if you love poetry, is that poetry is just naturally the greatest goddamn thing that ever was in the whole universe." - james dickey
viburnum
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005 05:42:57 PM »

Smiley Thanks for the compliments. and thanks for the advice needlesandpins, but when i read about wheatpaste i wondered if it doesn't rot or bring ants and so?
I think I'll try it anywhy since I really don't want to go buy some expensive glue that I'll find being as good as the Elmer's, or even worse..

good day
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftypixie

opinions were like kittins, I was giving them away

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005 01:04:17 AM »

I've done some bookbinding, I took a class last fall, and we used YES! paste. I think it works great and it's about $10 for a big tub, it says it's archival as well. Michaels has started caring it so you could use the 40% off coupon.
Great job on your first book!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

viburnum
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005 03:58:59 AM »

Sad If only i had Michaels here in Israel.. oh well.. ha ha. I loved it so much when i was a kid in the states... I'll go look in some crafts store next week, when I'll really have a vacation.. You see, I've got a week full of work ahead of my, operating a summer camp with the teens i guide in our youth movement..
(I just hate English when trying to find equivalents for words in Hebrew. It's especially hard in this subject.. I'm not at all satisfied with the last sentice, since it sounds not even close to what I meant.. for example, "summer camp" is not really a camp, it's activities only in the morning-noon hours, after that the little kids go back home, and there's a word exactly for that activity in Hebrew.. oh well.)
At least I'm gonna have lots of fun Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jinxme
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005 07:04:01 AM »

i've always used U-HU glue sticks for book binding. thats what my photo professor said to use and everything has held up well. they're cheap too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i saw you walking on the sidewalk, your head was taller than the trees.

http://www.myspace.com/beckiann
 http://wists.com/jinxme
 http://www.somebunnies.etsy.com
viburnum
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005 07:11:06 AM »

I tried uhu too, but it didn't hold the heavy paper that well
THIS ROCKS   Logged
needlesandpins
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005 09:43:43 PM »

so, regarding wheat paste, yes it will probably rot if you leave a big tub of it lying around.  if it's spread on a page, it does not rot or attract bugs or anything.  i have projects that are many months old with no problems.   i hear people say you can refrigerate small bowls of it for a few weeks, but i've always just made a fresh batch for each "crafty session" i do. . . since it's free to make and all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What you have to realize when you write poetry, or if you love poetry, is that poetry is just naturally the greatest goddamn thing that ever was in the whole universe." - james dickey
viburnum
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005 02:58:01 PM »

thnx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sanyo Xacti DMX-CS1 HD Dual Camera Review
How to Use a Home Lighting Kit
An Inside Look on David LaChapelle Work
Using a Background in Photography
Phottix Atlas Wireless Flash Trigger Review and Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...