A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,777
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jewel Case Wall with Tutorial  (Read 55633 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , interior_decorating , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: July 27, 2005 12:21:06 PM »

I recently went through my CD collection and put all of the CDs into books. I had all these leftover jewel cases and no idea what to do with them. I also have this area of a room as my office and I desperately needed privacy. I decided to make a wall and it turned out way better than I had expected (not to toot my own horn). I didn't discover this site (thank you razberryjam) until I had already started attaching the cases, so I only have pictures part way through, but you should be able to figure it out if you want to attempt this.

Step 1
*optional* Empty the middle part of the jewel case (the piece that holds the CD in) and clean the outside. I managed to break quiet a few in the process so be careful.

Step 2
Gluing the cases into tiled sections. This is the pain in the butt part. The cases do not always want to stay glued. I used hot glue and put 9 cases together. I had to take the pieces together first, then add a glue bead on both sides of the attached cases. *this is where I started taking pictures*

Step 3
Laying the tiles out and painting the design. I used enamel paint because ... well no reason I just wanted to. I know there is spray paint you can buy that will easily stick to plastic, but I didn't want to spray paint. If you want to use another type of paint you will have to prime and I didn't want to do that either.

Step 4
Now here is the really fun part -- the wiring. I used copper wire because I think it is perdy, but you can use anything you want. It just so happens that Jewel cases have these rectangular little slits in them that are perfect for wiring. I inserted the wire through the holes and attached the two tiles. Here are some pictures, but it's kind of a trial and error sort of thing. I just did my best. *started taking too many pictures about this point*

Step 5
Now hang it. I used the same technique for hanging with the wires as I did for attaching the tiles together. Here is a before and after of my office space.

Oh! And the backside is not painted so I can slip little notes, photos, or flowers into them. I might one day paint it too. We'll see.

I'll be happy to try to answer any questions you may have. Thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012 08:09:33 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005 03:02:01 PM »

That is awesome - you must get a lot of compliments on it by visitors!  It looks functional and like art, awesome job.

Now selling awesomeness with my partners in craftiness!
Our website: http://maked.ca
Our blog: http://baremaked.blogspot.com/
Our shop: http://maked.etsy.com
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005 05:36:03 PM »

Thank you so much. Actually I just put it up last night so I haven't had much company.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005 09:17:28 AM »

wow very nice. if you'd painted them with stained glass paints i bet it would have been pretty and stained glassish too, but then you would't get the privacy. why do you need the privacy anyway?

I'm always laughing when it's not cool to smile......when did I ever care about being cool?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005 02:06:38 PM »

I need privacy because I share a big room with my boyfriend for our office and I also am kind of a slob (hide my mess).  Undecided
In Bernina we trust!

Cat - I'm a kittycat, and I meow, meow, meow...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005 02:10:09 PM »

Exactly what I was thinking! Smiley

That is awesome - you must get a lot of compliments on it by visitors!  It looks functional and like art, awesome job.

I love cats. I love tea. That's me in a nutshell.
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005 11:09:13 PM »

I love this...how easy does it move?  I've been looking for an idea for a room divider between my dining room and kitchen, since my kitchen is always a mess.  Anyway, I love it.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005 09:09:47 AM »

i love your idea and have been trying to think of ways to change your project around to fit my needs.  we already have a ton of holes in our walls, so i was thinking about maybe making the jewel cases into a self-standing privacy screen.  i think that by glueing the jewel cases together while open, i can use the hinges they have already to make the screens stand up alone.  this way, i wouldn't have to use anything to hang them.  granted, they wouldn't look pretty from both sides like yours, but i think in my case, they only need to look nice from one side.  do you guys think this would work?
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005 09:27:58 PM »

Gasp!! Shocked that's wonderful! such a creative idea and so artsy, and i really like the design and colors.

"Everything is a miracle. It is a miracle that one does not dissolve in one's bath like a lump of sugar." -Pablo Picasso
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005 06:28:51 AM »

Thanks guys for all your sweet comments.
Honorhappy - it does move a little because it is strung up by wires, but it doesn't flow easily because it is so stiff.

Unfortunately I had a wee little accident. For people who attempt to make this it is worth the time to wire each of the cases together. One of the cases at the glue line broke and the whole thing started to fall. Not all is lost though. I am going to attempt to wire it and maybe even put a layer of contact paper or tape (if I can find pretty enough tape) on the back to reinforce it. I'll keep you updated on the progress, but until my term is over at school I will have to put it on hold.

Thanks again for looking.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear the Boiler Suit from Day to Night
Emmy Looks for Less
How to Wear Monochrome This Spring
Lindsay Lohan Is Launching a Fashion Line
The Best Shorts for Curvy Body Types
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...