A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,573
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Phoenix Thrift Stores  (Read 6083 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ubercraftygal

and i swear, in that moment, we were infinite.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005 12:23:08 AM »

i've never been there but i've driven by many times...

just so everyone knows- gracies is an ok thrift store. most of what they have is really gross kitchy weird stuff like decorated wooden spoons and dusty wreaths. if that is your thing, go for it, otherwise, i would suggest savers, which in recent weeks/months has become my new favorite thrifty place. i'm gonna be a senior in high school this year and for spirit weeks and stuff, my friends and i make a massive savers run and buy the most ridiculous stuff (think straw hats, ugly fabric for capes, and shoes that are 3 sizes too big) and get out of there with a full cart for like 10 bucks. it's pretty much the best thing ever.

other than that, there are two goodwills that i'm willing to drive to... one is on mcclintock and southern- that one is pretty alright, but i see a lot of the same stuff every time i go, and the new one that just opened on rural and guadalupe. i've been into the new one and i'm a big fan. i found some great hardback books to make clutches and such out of and a few other wonderful treasures.

my mom has been to the salvation army and she said she liked it for the most part but that a clerk there was pretty rude to her. i haven't been to this one, so don't take my word for it.

also, there is/was a really gross little thrift store on southern just west of mcclintock and it is/was SO gross. it's called kaching. i don't know if it is still open. i found a cool kate spade bag in there for a dollar, but i felt like i needed to disinfect myself when i got home. the people there are really friendly, i just feel like it's a dirty place.

super sorry if i repeated anything other people said, but i didn't really feel like reading all the posts in detail. it's 12:20 and i'm a bit worn out.

i'd love to come to the get-together this coming month, if you lovely ladies wouldn't mind having a teenager around! Cheesy when there are more concrete plans in the works, i would LOVE if someone could pm me. i've been lurking around the arizona forum but until now i haven't really posted anything. i'm lauren and i live in tempe, by the way! Cheesy

happy crafting.
-lauren-

sorry- i rambled more than i intended to. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005 01:12:48 AM by ubercraftygal » THIS ROCKS   Logged
larahspee
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005 06:49:50 PM »

There's a store on the west side...I think it's like, 35th Ave and Indian School? I 'm not sure of the actual address, but it's called Indian School Thrift and they usually always have some very interesting things there. I love that place.

Plus, the Goodwill on Hayden and Thomas? Is that it? They generally get a good lot of fabric.

Other than that, I am generally disappointed with the thrifting in this town.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what an excellent day for an exorcism!
crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005 07:13:08 PM »

ooh oooh ooh.go to gracie's. they have vintage craft kits and craft books. I got a little crewel kit and like seven pattern magazines and a necklace for lily for $5. they had not a ton of stuff, but good prices and it looks like they keep that stuff in stock. 

St vincent de paul is where I really lucked out in the furniture department. it's on main st. as was stated earlier. good prices and lots to choose from.

prehab of arizona is at 18 w. main st.and they have some interesting stuff, but no real bargains. There are also aton of antiquemalls down there with reasonable prices. Not bargain basement stuff, but nice stuff at realistic prices.

the mesa thrift store also was nice.it had not a lot in the way of furniture but a couple good pieces and reasonable prices.

the thrift town on country club had some neat knitted and crocheted items.interesting color choices.

and now I amdone with the thrift store scene for at least a fewdays. I feel pretty confident I have seen what the east side has to offer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
I keep boxes of beautiful dreams
And late at night
When no ones in sight
They come out and whisper to me - J,LC
stellarswizzle
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005 04:48:18 PM »

Man... I stop at the same three-five places when I'm in the mood to thrift.

Goodwill on Dobson and Guadalupe... just opened

Goodwill on Southern across from Fiesta Mall

Savers on Dobson and Broadway

Deseret Industries on Broadway between Alma School and Exstension

And Gracie's (because it's on the way home from work...)

I look generaly for books and scarves and old records of musicals or movie soundtracks and sometimes kitchy homeware.

I'm also looking for Girl Scout patches. So I can make a quilt for camp. Smiley

I need to check out places around ASU... so I can start going there when I finally move in less than two weeks!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005 04:22:52 PM »

so it looked (judging from the writing on their van) that there was another gracie's in mesa, but I didn't write down the address and yahoo yellow pages has got nothing. anybody know anything about this? Did they used to have one? Is there still one? and just so everybody knows, I have a job! Only part time and not great wages, but it could progress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
And late at night
When no ones in sight
flyabuv
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2005 09:49:44 AM »

A really big place to go is U Care Thrift Store  1135 E Main St, Mesa, 85203  Crossroads, Main and Stapley
They have a lot of furniture. There are a few creepy people there and I would suggest trying stuff on there (see: creepy people hanging around dressing rooms which only have curtain doors)
I like Gracie's because it is right by my house.

One place that I didn't even get to look around that much and want to go back is the Antique Mall that is on Scottsdale like before you get to the Salvation Army on the west side of the road. Of course the big stuff is all expensive, but they had piles of old cards and pictures, which I am always interested in.
Btw, it was very nice meeting all of you at the art exhibit.

-Shannon
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss you, but I haven't met you yet.
crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2005 11:09:13 AM »

One more thing, the goodwill stores are having their 50% off sale on Saturday August 13. Anybody up for some bargain thrifting?I've got a van for toting extra large stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
And late at night
When no ones in sight
mwilke
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2005 02:21:09 PM »

I have a housewarming party going on then or I'd totally take you up on that, even though you don't know me Smiley

I just want to let everyone know that if you're looking for a perfect, huge, ornate dining table then the Goodwill at McClintock and Southern is the place to be. I just wandered in there on Saturday and there were several beautiful dining tables, looked like maybe cherry, carved legs and no real visible wear.
Maybe someone old and rich died.
I bough the smallest of the three, which also had much more wear, but it was only $40 and black wood, so still beautuful.
The other two tables were -gasp- $250, but they are huge, nearly perfect, and buying them anywhere else would set you back about $900 or more.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mwilke
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2005 02:24:09 PM »

As far as Gracies goes - I've never really had much luck in there but I'm definitely more of a furniture thrifter.
They did have a few nice large frames for pretty cheap last time I was there. I'm finding more and more that I can't get the great deals on frames that I used to get at most places, so that was nice.

They have pretty much nothing for furniture, though, probably due to the small size of the store.

To second what others mentioned - there is a ton of raw fabric there, who knows what from. Lots of patterns and eras.

They do have later hours thatn other thrift stores in the area, so it's nice for an after-work fix.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chris_wass
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2005 04:05:06 PM »

Check out this thread to meet up with fellow Phx peoples this Saturday (8/20) at Gracie's in Tempe for their 50% off sale this weekend followed by lunch.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=45821.10
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://chriswass.etsy.com
The Phoenix United Craft Society: http://www.phucs.com

"To make people free is the aim of art, therefore art for me is the science of freedom." -Joseph Beuys
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rebecca Chace Talks About Leaving Rock Harbor
A ValueTales Treasury Book Trailer
Jessica DuLong Talks About My River Chronicles
Tweak Book Trailer
Danny Tobey Talks About The Faculty Club
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...