A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Phoenix Thrift Stores  (Read 6006 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 27, 2005 12:06:39 PM »

Here's what I learned on my adventure yesterday.

The goodwill on 6225 e main street in mesa is pretty alright. lots of housewares and some furniture. I didn't get to look at clothes, but they had some (ugly) needleworked wall art.

the lutheran thrift store and furniture annex at 48something east main is also pretty rad. the actual thrift shop seemed to have more than the furniture annex, but I suppose that's liable to change.

meme's quality used furniture was pretty much a bust unless you like creepy dusty overcrowded overpriced stuff. it's also on east main on the way to apache junction.

Hopefully this thread will catch on and be a great resource.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
I keep boxes of beautiful dreams
And late at night
When no ones in sight
They come out and whisper to me - J,LC
rickrackruby
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005 07:56:44 AM »

Has anyone ever been to Gracie's Thrift in Tempe?  Every time I go to that SAS on Apache I see it and wonder what it's like inside.  I figure "I'll stop there when I'm done at SAS..."  Then two hours later I'm frantically checking out and racing home.  Happens every time..... Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chris_wass
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005 08:14:31 AM »

I can tell you of two places not to bother going to, the two thrift stores closest to my house:
The Salvation Army on Scottsdale Road south of McDowell and
The Goodwill on Scottsdale north of McDowell.

Both are pretty lame. The SA is small and the Goodwill is huge and had some decent looking stuff but was surprisingly not very cheap. The one thing that I think is kind of neat at the Goodwill is that the clothes are all arranged on the rack in groups by color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://chriswass.etsy.com
The Phoenix United Craft Society: http://www.phucs.com

"To make people free is the aim of art, therefore art for me is the science of freedom." -Joseph Beuys
tinafish
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005 08:37:34 AM »

Has anyone ever been to Gracie's Thrift in Tempe?  Every time I go to that SAS on Apache I see it and wonder what it's like inside.  I figure "I'll stop there when I'm done at SAS..."  Then two hours later I'm frantically checking out and racing home.  Happens every time..... Embarrassed

i went to gracie's before...my friend was looking for a side table. not much luck. i think it's just hit or miss with this one. it's really small, but i saw a few potential items. you're not missing too much though.

EDIT!! okay..i'm an idiot. denise looks like youre not the only one that needs her memory ironed. i thought we were talking about the thrift store down further on main st. it's across from pala mesa apartments and a "dr.pease" sign. i used to live at pala mesa, that explains why i remember all those landmarks. but in fact it's called st. vincent.

St Vincent De Paul Society Thrift Stores
(480) 644-0887
2352 W Main St
Mesa, AZ 85201

gracies is the one across from that restaurant that's like a firehouse? that place is cool. i've found a lot of great things there. they always have fabric for sale...which is weird..they either cut it up from old things, or just have it lying around...always really 80's looking or retro, which go great with my purses. it's a good place.

Gracies Family Thrift Store
(480) 967-5231
1520 E Apache Blvd Tempe, AZ

the other one is on main st...(apache, but past the 101 going east) is the Mesa Thrift Store. The front of the store faces east. It's huge! and yes the awning is blue. It's a good place too. A little more pricey for some things, but overall not to shabby.

Mesa Thrift Store
(480) 890-2287
1018 W Main St Mesa, AZ

okay sorry for the round abouts....
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005 10:23:36 AM by tinafish » THIS ROCKS   Logged

chindogu

"you don't need to see my identification."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005 09:56:38 AM »

oh my heavens!  i think it was gracie's where i got a ghostbusters shirt for a quarter!  i also picked up a pretty red slip there.  happy purchases.  but the place was pretty small, and they didn't really have a lot.  (to verify, i believe it had a blue awning?  it was between stinkweeds and s.a.s.)

i think the best thrift store i've been to in a while was over on apache right by gracie's.  i thought it was a goodwill, but i just looked it up and can't find a listing.  ellen, beth and i hit that place one day and we were in frickin' heaven!  we all loaded up with stuff, and there was so much more i wanted to grab.  i've only been that one time, so i can't attest to the consistancy.  (maybe someone else can verify if this is indeed a goodwill i'm thinking of?  i believe it's east of s.a.s., but west of the 101.  also, the storefront does not face the street.)

man, i need to get my memories ironed out or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"why should we buy postage stamps?!  we can make our own!"
tinafish
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005 10:24:35 AM »

k i edited my response.

and thanks to you all, now i want to go thrifting!!!  Cheesy Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rickrackruby
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005 12:45:11 PM »

Okay - next time I'm going to Gracie's BEFORE I go to SAS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005 02:16:16 PM »

I give up, what is SAS?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
And late at night
When no ones in sight
chindogu

"you don't need to see my identification."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005 02:46:06 PM »

oh my!  leave your house this instant!

"sas fabrics by the pound"!!

here's the closest one to you (which is the one we're talking about):

1700 East Apache Boulevard, Tempe, AZ 85281

there's two more locations in the west valley:

9840 North 19th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85021

1111 East Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85014

somebody give her the skinny because i'm running out the door...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"why should we buy postage stamps?!  we can make our own!"
rickrackruby
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005 03:32:57 PM »

If you like fabric, trims, lace, ribbon and sewing supplies in general you'll love SAS.  What they lack in presentation and cleanliness they make up for in low prices.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ubercraftygal

and i swear, in that moment, we were infinite.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005 12:23:08 AM »

i've never been there but i've driven by many times...

just so everyone knows- gracies is an ok thrift store. most of what they have is really gross kitchy weird stuff like decorated wooden spoons and dusty wreaths. if that is your thing, go for it, otherwise, i would suggest savers, which in recent weeks/months has become my new favorite thrifty place. i'm gonna be a senior in high school this year and for spirit weeks and stuff, my friends and i make a massive savers run and buy the most ridiculous stuff (think straw hats, ugly fabric for capes, and shoes that are 3 sizes too big) and get out of there with a full cart for like 10 bucks. it's pretty much the best thing ever.

other than that, there are two goodwills that i'm willing to drive to... one is on mcclintock and southern- that one is pretty alright, but i see a lot of the same stuff every time i go, and the new one that just opened on rural and guadalupe. i've been into the new one and i'm a big fan. i found some great hardback books to make clutches and such out of and a few other wonderful treasures.

my mom has been to the salvation army and she said she liked it for the most part but that a clerk there was pretty rude to her. i haven't been to this one, so don't take my word for it.

also, there is/was a really gross little thrift store on southern just west of mcclintock and it is/was SO gross. it's called kaching. i don't know if it is still open. i found a cool kate spade bag in there for a dollar, but i felt like i needed to disinfect myself when i got home. the people there are really friendly, i just feel like it's a dirty place.

super sorry if i repeated anything other people said, but i didn't really feel like reading all the posts in detail. it's 12:20 and i'm a bit worn out.

i'd love to come to the get-together this coming month, if you lovely ladies wouldn't mind having a teenager around! Cheesy when there are more concrete plans in the works, i would LOVE if someone could pm me. i've been lurking around the arizona forum but until now i haven't really posted anything. i'm lauren and i live in tempe, by the way! Cheesy

happy crafting.
-lauren-

sorry- i rambled more than i intended to. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005 01:12:48 AM by ubercraftygal » THIS ROCKS   Logged
larahspee
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005 06:49:50 PM »

There's a store on the west side...I think it's like, 35th Ave and Indian School? I 'm not sure of the actual address, but it's called Indian School Thrift and they usually always have some very interesting things there. I love that place.

Plus, the Goodwill on Hayden and Thomas? Is that it? They generally get a good lot of fabric.

Other than that, I am generally disappointed with the thrifting in this town.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what an excellent day for an exorcism!
crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005 07:13:08 PM »

ooh oooh ooh.go to gracie's. they have vintage craft kits and craft books. I got a little crewel kit and like seven pattern magazines and a necklace for lily for $5. they had not a ton of stuff, but good prices and it looks like they keep that stuff in stock. 

St vincent de paul is where I really lucked out in the furniture department. it's on main st. as was stated earlier. good prices and lots to choose from.

prehab of arizona is at 18 w. main st.and they have some interesting stuff, but no real bargains. There are also aton of antiquemalls down there with reasonable prices. Not bargain basement stuff, but nice stuff at realistic prices.

the mesa thrift store also was nice.it had not a lot in the way of furniture but a couple good pieces and reasonable prices.

the thrift town on country club had some neat knitted and crocheted items.interesting color choices.

and now I amdone with the thrift store scene for at least a fewdays. I feel pretty confident I have seen what the east side has to offer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
And late at night
When no ones in sight
stellarswizzle
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005 04:48:18 PM »

Man... I stop at the same three-five places when I'm in the mood to thrift.

Goodwill on Dobson and Guadalupe... just opened

Goodwill on Southern across from Fiesta Mall

Savers on Dobson and Broadway

Deseret Industries on Broadway between Alma School and Exstension

And Gracie's (because it's on the way home from work...)

I look generaly for books and scarves and old records of musicals or movie soundtracks and sometimes kitchy homeware.

I'm also looking for Girl Scout patches. So I can make a quilt for camp. Smiley

I need to check out places around ASU... so I can start going there when I finally move in less than two weeks!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005 04:22:52 PM »

so it looked (judging from the writing on their van) that there was another gracie's in mesa, but I didn't write down the address and yahoo yellow pages has got nothing. anybody know anything about this? Did they used to have one? Is there still one? and just so everybody knows, I have a job! Only part time and not great wages, but it could progress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
And late at night
When no ones in sight
flyabuv
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2005 09:49:44 AM »

A really big place to go is U Care Thrift Store  1135 E Main St, Mesa, 85203  Crossroads, Main and Stapley
They have a lot of furniture. There are a few creepy people there and I would suggest trying stuff on there (see: creepy people hanging around dressing rooms which only have curtain doors)
I like Gracie's because it is right by my house.

One place that I didn't even get to look around that much and want to go back is the Antique Mall that is on Scottsdale like before you get to the Salvation Army on the west side of the road. Of course the big stuff is all expensive, but they had piles of old cards and pictures, which I am always interested in.
Btw, it was very nice meeting all of you at the art exhibit.

-Shannon
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss you, but I haven't met you yet.
crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2005 11:09:13 AM »

One more thing, the goodwill stores are having their 50% off sale on Saturday August 13. Anybody up for some bargain thrifting?I've got a van for toting extra large stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
And late at night
When no ones in sight
mwilke
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2005 02:21:09 PM »

I have a housewarming party going on then or I'd totally take you up on that, even though you don't know me Smiley

I just want to let everyone know that if you're looking for a perfect, huge, ornate dining table then the Goodwill at McClintock and Southern is the place to be. I just wandered in there on Saturday and there were several beautiful dining tables, looked like maybe cherry, carved legs and no real visible wear.
Maybe someone old and rich died.
I bough the smallest of the three, which also had much more wear, but it was only $40 and black wood, so still beautuful.
The other two tables were -gasp- $250, but they are huge, nearly perfect, and buying them anywhere else would set you back about $900 or more.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mwilke
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2005 02:24:09 PM »

As far as Gracies goes - I've never really had much luck in there but I'm definitely more of a furniture thrifter.
They did have a few nice large frames for pretty cheap last time I was there. I'm finding more and more that I can't get the great deals on frames that I used to get at most places, so that was nice.

They have pretty much nothing for furniture, though, probably due to the small size of the store.

To second what others mentioned - there is a ton of raw fabric there, who knows what from. Lots of patterns and eras.

They do have later hours thatn other thrift stores in the area, so it's nice for an after-work fix.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chris_wass
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2005 04:05:06 PM »

Check out this thread to meet up with fellow Phx peoples this Saturday (8/20) at Gracie's in Tempe for their 50% off sale this weekend followed by lunch.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=45821.10
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://chriswass.etsy.com
The Phoenix United Craft Society: http://www.phucs.com

"To make people free is the aim of art, therefore art for me is the science of freedom." -Joseph Beuys
Aello
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2005 01:21:42 AM »

Hello everyone, I just joined. Just found this site.. loving it so far:)
I just wanted to post since I see so many people in my area. I live in Mesa. I see some of you talking about the Mesa Thrift Store (1018 W Main St Mesa, AZ) I actually go in there quite a bit. I have found some really great buys in there... Have only tried Thrift Town once. I have been meaning to go back.

Well I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself:) So Hi. I'm Sha by the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rickrackruby
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2005 06:22:23 AM »

Hey Sha,

Did you know we are meeting up today at Gracie's Thrift?  Can you join us?  Check out the August meet-up thread for more info.

Laura K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aello
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2005 05:18:35 PM »

Thank you for the invite.. Unfortunately I didn't know about it in time.. Perhaps I will be able to join in the next one:) You all seem like such I great bunch!

Sha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rickrackruby
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2005 05:22:11 PM »

Hey Sha,

AZ Craftsters are definitely the best!

Take care.

Laura K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheThriftShopper.Com
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2006 12:06:24 PM »

I have a national directory of thrift stores. I hope this helps..

http://www.thethriftshopper.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't forget to look in your local thrift stores for your crafting supplies. Please check out my national directory of thrift stores at www.TheThriftShoppe r.Com for your shopping convenience.
Roethke
Tutorial Contributor

I work with toxins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2006 01:35:12 PM »

I have a national directory of thrift stores. I hope this helps..

http://www.thethriftshopper.com

Awesome!  Thanks for letting us know about this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Full Brows
Custom Velvet Eyelashes at the Douglas Hannant FW 2014 Show
How Can You Find Your Sexy Scent?
A Mother’s Day Gift of Youth
Get Marilyn Monroe’s Red Lip Look
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...