A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,191
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Outfit~70s flower tunic top + gypsy skirt [now with TUTORIAL!]  (Read 69239 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

peanutbutterkp37
« on: July 27, 2005 11:58:35 AM »

I love this shirt I have:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/stitch_pixie/My%20Clothes/greenstripetunic.jpg
So I made a pattern out of it and made a new top last night!!!:

And my gypsy skirt out of off-white gauzy material:

Entire outfit:

I wore this to the orthodontist today and all the people complimented on it!!!  Grin

Thanks for looking!

TUTORIAL:

I will try to explain this as clearly as possible and hopefully it will make sense because without thse original shirt to copy from, it would be very confusing. Anyway, look at the picture of the pattern pieces and take a moment to visualize how the shirt is sewn together. If you look in the "diagram" in the bottom right corner, it shows the inside of the shirt, front facing the floor. The front part folds over on the yellow line and the straps on the back piece are sandwiched between the fold and sewn on (pink lines). The top yellow line indicates the fold of the front pattern piece. The bottom yellow line indicates the fold on the piece that goes underneath the front. The purple, orange and blue lines show where the pattern pieces should be in "3-d". Don't mind the green lines, I made a mistake when drawing the pink lines. Embarrassed If you understood any of that (lol, you girls may have figured it out more easily, it took me a while even with the original shirt for reference), proceed to step one.

1. Cut out your pattern pieces according to the picture. Use your waist, hip and bust measurements for the shirt parts. The width of the "under front" part is the same as the width of the front piece, or fitting loosely over your bust.
2. Hem the neckline of the back and the armholes of both the front and back (light blue).
3. Sew green to green, right sides together.
4. Lay out the shirt on the floor with the back facing the floor, wrong sides out. Take the top of the shirt and fold it towards you on the yellow line. Sandwich the straps in between the fold and sew.
5. Set this aside and take out your underneath front pieces. Sew them wrong sides together and turn it right side out. Fold on the yellow line.
6. Take out the back and front piece. Place the underneath part on the front's wrong side, slightly overlapping the OTHER fold. Pin and sew in place.
7. Turn the shirt right side out. Get the bottom ruffle piece and pin it to the bottom of the shirt, right sides together and sew in place. Hem the bottom.

If I explained this correctly, you should now have a retro new shirt. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE feel free to ask questions for any clarification, this was the first tutorial I ever made. Enjoy!!!

Oh yeah I almost forgot the skirt. Wink
It's fairly simple.
Each tier is a rectangle strip.
First tier: length-Your hip measurement at the widest point plus 5 inches.
width-It's up to you. Mine were about 9 inches, but add a few inches for the waistband.
Each additional tier is 20 inches longer and the width stays the same, or you can gradually increase it if you want.
First, add an elastic waistband (measures the same as your waist) to the top of the first strip by stretching it a bit, and folding over the top.
Baste the length-wise edges of the other tiers and pull the thread to form even gathers. The top of the next tier should be the same length as the bottom of the previous, etc, etc. Sew over your gathers so they don't come undone. Sew the gathered tier onto the bottom of the first (right OR wrong sides together, whatever style you're going for). Repeat for each additional tier and hem the bottom of the last one. You're done!

Enjoy your new outfit, and please ask if something is unclear!! Smiley
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010 11:12:37 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flickr
Vegan Cookie Blog
I'm writing a vegan cookie blog.
Kayla
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005 12:05:54 PM »

the shirt is so nice i would love one!!
great job on the skirt too!
~K
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peanutshell68
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005 12:44:13 PM »

I LOVE THAT SHIRT!!!!!!! I want it! I want it! I want it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Poetic_Tragedy
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005 04:00:00 PM »

thats really pretty, i love both the shirt and the skirt..its a cute outfit Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you cant laugh at yourself, laugh is gonna seem a whole lot longer then you'd like"
-Garden State
stopthefacades
http://jecka.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005 04:20:39 PM »

That's a beautiful top. I think I'm going to have to make one sometime soon.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Said he's on his own, but his own is you.

http://jecka.etsy.com
http://4474.blogspot.com
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005 04:23:04 PM »

That shirt is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
Bliss_in_Exile

Rum is for Drinking, Not for Burning!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005 04:34:18 PM »

Its gorgeous!! I would buy this in a heartbeat hehehe. I just commented on your purse that you made...you have made so many outfits...you're so crafty and gifted. I envy you Grin Great job on everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shortie
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005 05:19:33 PM »

that top is brilliant, i want one!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.parsy.etsy.com --- please look in my etsy shop :-)
Needles

Fit But, My Gosh, Don't You Just Know It?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005 10:54:38 PM »

Curse you for being so skinny and pretty, woman!
I adore absolutely everything that you've made. Major thumbs up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mimi_sita12
This is my lucky fin -wiggle wiggle-

[...Found Nemo!...]

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005 11:33:42 AM »

oooo pretty, can u put up a tute on that hott shirt of yourz lol pretty please!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just keep swimmin, swimmin, swimmin.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Body Type 411
Battle of the Fashion Bloggers
One Little Black Dress, Four Ways to Wear It
Hottest Fashion For Mardi Gras Balls
Survey Shows Women Have No Shame In Buying Fake Designer Items
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...