A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 301,621
Currently Running With Scissors:
410 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: anyone STAMP walls before?  (Read 743 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

newmomerin

my sweet Madeline

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2005 10:34:40 AM »

I am redoing my bathroom and had planned to buy a stencil (never stenciled before either)
I didn't like any of the stencils, and I ended up with a big stamp. It's made out of foam- like fun foam, but thicker.

Anyone stamp before? any tips? I am going for a sorta aged look rather than crisp stamps. I have an idea, but wondered if anyone can give any tips.

THANKS!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005 10:43:32 AM »

I have stamped before, and I think you will be happy with the outcome. Here are my tips... if you are concerned in any way about color, paint a posterboard with your wall color and try your stamp color on top to see how it looks. If you are concerned about placement, stamp lots of individual pieces of paper with the design, and tape them where you think you might want to place them. Test your stamp out before you put it on the wall to get an idea of how much paint you need to apply for your desired effect, and always do your first stamp in the least obvious place you can (behind a door, in a corner, or behind a large piece of furniture.)

That should do it. It's really easy and fun.

Happy stamping!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
giggles1100

They call me Martha......

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005 10:47:09 AM »

I have stamped before and it is good you are going for a more aged look than crisp because that is hard to achieve especially if your walls are textured.  
My big suggestion is try it before you do it on the wall first. Dip it in the paint you are using  & do it on paper first.  If you are going to paint the walls first , practice on the wall before you paint it, all stamps are different they all take paint differently and the wall will be the best judge; and even if you have walls with no texture does not mean your walls are completely flat and you can still  loose paint in places.  Also, too much paint will run and not enough will look bad, that is why you should definately try it out before doing the final copy.

Oh flat paint hold a stamp paint in place better than a latex, with latex you have more of a chance of the paint running once stamp is applied.

HTH
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Giggles To all!
Heather
newmomerin

my sweet Madeline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005 11:28:29 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'll post pics when I'm done!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
josita
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005 03:41:57 PM »

I've also stamped walls. To get the aged look, I've also taken a bit of sandpaper and rubbed the stamp (Lightly! Otherwise you sand the whole stamp right off) and then followed up with a rubbed-on glaze.

The weirdest thing that happened is that I was trying to stamp randomly--not in a pattern---which is much harder than it sounds. Hard as I tried, there's still a sort of pattern to it. The human brain is amazing!

j
THIS ROCKS   Logged
newmomerin

my sweet Madeline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005 10:39:54 AM »

I know! that's why I really liked the suggestion of stamping some paper and taping it to the walls before I actually stamp. that way I can move around before i/m committed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rissaroo
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005 09:41:34 AM »

i've done this before. I find that it comes out better if you only put on enough paint for one stamp, then wipe off and reapply. it takes longer, but your stamps will come out more even. Also, if you are doing anything at other than chest high, sit down or get a ladder so that you can push it straight at the wall, otherwise you risk inadvertently smearing your design.

In my kitchen I put some stamps where i was attaching hooks to the walls, this made it a little nicer since my hooks were plain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rena
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005 10:07:24 PM »

i've done it when i was a little girl and I jsut stamped the wall and quickly licked it off..I know gross, but i was panicking and didn't know what to do and as quickly as i could licked it off. I think it's work
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...