A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gay 16th birthday - HELP!  (Read 959 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teraspawn
« on: July 27, 2005 09:16:23 AM »

A (male) friend of mine has invited me to his 16th.  I don't really know him that well - just that he's gay (and likes the smell of board markers, but I have rejected that as a gift idea).

Besides the obvious (condoms, which I may well be to embarrassed to buy), can anyone think of something I could make for the poor boy?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005 09:20:10 AM by teraspawn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysolda
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005 09:25:02 AM »

i wouldn't make anything too gay-related, the novelty wears pretty thin kinda quickly (you also might want to check whos going to be there, his grandmother might not be too impressed by the pack of condoms)
any mutual friends that might be able to help with what hes into? maybe you should just get him a gift voucher for a music store or something like that. Or get him something that means something to you - like your favourite album, book etc, or maybe a mix cd, then even if he doesnt like it that much he can appreciate that you put some effort into it.
But to be honest depending on the kind of party i wouldn't bother too much about a gift I doubt he'll be expecting it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
msmeow
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005 10:08:22 AM »

I don't think you need to think of it as getting a gift for a gay guy.  He's just one of your friends.  What would you make for other friends of yours? What kinds of clothes does he wear?  What kind of music does he like?  Favorite TV shows or movies?  (Would you really give other friends that you don't know that well condoms?  Maybe I'm just old.)
And while he may not be expecting a gift, everyone loves presents!  It shows you thought about him. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JazzyBee
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005 10:52:37 AM »

i agree with msmeow...just think of it as getting or making a gift for a friend.maybe this way you will come up with some more ideas. Think of any one thing he lieks...like a hobby of his, and you could do a
_________ in a box kinda gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would just like to thank the academy for nominating me......
tree.hugger.chick
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005 08:22:29 AM »

I agree with other people- don't get "gay" stuff or whatever. Don't go along with the stereotype. As a lesbian, I can tell you that it gets really old, really fast. I'd say that since you don't know him all THAT well, just observe him when you can- what clothes he wears, if he carries around books or whatever. If he wears band tees and such, get him a gift card to hot topic or something, if he's the type that carries books around, get him something from Barnes and Noble, etc. etc. Or you could get crafty and make something spiffy from off here I've made things like the Scrabble memo board and such as gifts, and they always go over pretty well. Something unique, you know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Poprocksandcoke
child of the spookie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005 11:44:12 AM »

Just a question; Why does his sexuality matter at all? I think I might just be being ignorant though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Your mouth is likean open sore, where kisses rot and die
teraspawn
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005 04:28:06 AM »

Well, the only conversation that I've ever had with him that's lasted more than five minutes was along the lines of:

"Being gay sucks."

"Try being a lesbian sometime, it's no fun either."

(we're both still in school, and people are not particularly receptive to our sexualities)

And for the record, I'm not making a big deal out of it for no reason - he likes to do the whole "yay!  I am so gayer than you!" thing and all of our mutual friends tend to completely ignore it and skate around his sexuality, shutting up if they start talking about boys near him or whatever, so I really want to show him that at least I know where he's coming from.

I have now decided on jellybeans and a card involving much nudity.  Thanks for the advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Young Manga Artist Lilly Cernak
Manga Artist Lilly Cernak at Work
Meet Calligrapher Eleanor Aisha Holland
Calligrapher Eleanor Aisha Holland at Work
Meet Ebru Artist Bingul Sevimli
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...