A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reply to Swap Ettiqutte  (Read 4141 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brena80

She isn't real... I can't make her real

View Profile WWW
« on: July 27, 2005 07:49:06 AM »

So I read the swap ettiquette post and I agreed with almost everything, but there were some items that I was unsure of and I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

-Take some interest in your partner.  No, don't stalk their posts, but PM them with questions about favorite colors, patterns, hobbies.  Look at what they like to craft.

I kinda like it when people stalk my posts.   I feel like it helps them get some idea of my personality and then they might have an easier time knowing if I'll like something or not.   I also look at my swapee's posts because I think that I can surprise them.  Like, I saw a post that said "I'd love to have a blank" (shh... can't tell, it's a secret) and I thought "I could so make that.".  So now I know she'll get something that she's been jonesing for.

-Please make sure all items are crafted.  Some swaps, such as the "They don't have that in my country swap", require to send out pre-bought or mostly pre-bought stuff (Shrinky Dinks, Jello).  But in a normal swap, it is not acceptable to send something pre-bought when your partner is working hard to make something for you.

Once again most of the items that I've sent and recieved are crafted, but not ALL of them.   And I've really appreciated some of the non-crafted items, like my Wonder Woman mug that I drink out of every morning.   I don't think it's a bad thing to include some boughten items.   But maybe that's just me.

Does anyone else feel like the above items ok or do I just have bad swap manners? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sleepywalkin
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005 08:02:45 AM »

i completely agree with you.  i did PM my swap partner and chatted a bit.  i think that can be a good idea and it's generally the friendly thing to do to acknowledge that you're excited about the swap.  but i think there's something to be said for stalking their posts b/c you can get an idea of what they actually like or need.  it's a good way to surprise them or get inspiration.

and about store-bought items - i think they are fine.  obviously the whole package shouldn't be bought, but throwing in little items from the store seems aok to me.  especially if it's something that you can't make...or something neat that you find in a thrift store that totally fits the person's style.  just don't try to pass off the piece as handmade.  "hey i made this lovely bag for you...just disregard the prada tag" is a no-no.

of course, i'm no swap expert, this is just my opinion. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

we are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - oscar wilde
pibbgirl
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005 01:46:15 PM »

I feel the same way as you two....I wasn't agreeing with those two things in the swap ettiqutte either.  I don't understand why it would be bad to look at your partner's posts.  And throwing in something not crafted as a small extra doesn't seem like something anyone would complain about!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005 02:44:08 PM »

I think that sometimes things come up in "real" life and buying something suitable should be ok. I know crafty_dame got a tattoo from someone in the Canada swap. I would LOVE that. I bought my partner a gift certificate for the 6 month swap in July because that swap really annoyed me towards the end and I could not get inspired. She was very happy and it was easier than crafting something I was not 100% into. I don't think it should be done regularly but I did notice someone had negative feedback on their profile because they didn't send a handmade item which I thought was unfair.

I like stalking my partners posts too! I really want to make something they will like and its hard to do that by the questionnaire only. I spend lots of energy creating stuff for swaps and I want it to be used, not just tossed in the closet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costum e maven.
sleepywalkin
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005 05:31:11 AM »

gift certs rule!  of course, not for every swap and not unless it's an emergency.  but really...would you complain if you got a tattoo out of a swap!?  i certainly wouldn't Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

we are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - oscar wilde
_androidette
_luscious_

__beep. boop. beep__

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005 08:15:21 AM »

_brena80 you just addressed the same two things I wanted to rant about but first out of place doing because I just signed for my first swap.

I agree 3000% with all of you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_!cheap robotic thrill with [AA] batteries required& coin operated heart || 'kissed the boys and made them cry with curves and kissers and pearly whites'
PinkMafia

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005 09:59:56 AM »

A tattoo would rule! And yeah, a gc should only be used if absolutely necessary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005 02:19:34 AM »

i disagree with both of those points too.

i love going back through prev posts by my partner, you can find the best hints!

one of my partners posted about the difficulty she was having finding hippie style tops that were supportive enough for her after she'd breastfed two children. she made no mention of it in her swap application, but i saw her post about it, so i made her some tops and she was so happy.

the GC was great! i (mostly) love my tattoos (they just need a few touchups, but i'm too broke right now).

but it's not something that should be common. skyra got it for me because she had a ton of stuff come up in her life, and she wasn't able to send me anything. to me, that's understandable.

and i remember one swap where someone gave their partner a membership to nofauxxx.com because she had stuff come up. so it happens, but not very often.

i do think it's important to consider the value of the swap package when sending bought stuff though. my gc was for quite a lot, and i felt really guilty about it, until i considered the fact that i'd sent three shirts, as well as other stuff, and i probably spent almost as much on the supplies as the gc was for, not to mention my time, so it was totally fair. it would be awful for someone to receive something storebought that was way smaller than what they sent, you know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
kirbay831
Regularly Addicted

yes, im baby obsessed, i know.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005 04:19:45 AM »

I think the way the rules are written in the ettiquette post make good guidelines for beginners and stuff, to get a real feel of what its all about, but I agree that theyre shouldnt be a problem with them being to flexible long term (which is basically in sits like you guys have talked about).. Throwing in store brought items, that are so in the theme, sounds great.. and buying an large item (subscriptions, gcs, etc) seems to me, should be an option in some cases.. Say your partner has a death in the family, or some other large event happen, it may just mean they CANT craft something for you, but rather than flaking on you, they can spent a short time, organising something that will make up for the time and effort you put into the items you made for them.

To me, it sort of seems like it fits under a category of "Advanced swappers" rules.. know what I mean?

And I agree on the "post stalk" too.. it lets you know what crafts they make, what they like, what they may want.. Probably checking theyre posts, and replying to all of them may freak them out.. but that is a bit overboard.. I dont think id want to do anything to my partner, that I wouldnt mind being done to me. I personally, wouldnt mind my partner trying to learn more about me, so that I appreciate their items even more.. In an email or pm, I can see how it would be hard to get a full picture of a person.. or tell someone what you like and want.. (Its like how all year, you can think of so many things you want or need, but when someone asks what you want for your bday or xmas, you cant think of any! lol)..

Anyway..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them. If you hate someone, hate them until it hurts." -Henry Rollins
jadey_mcshadey

kys mig, jeg er dansk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005 04:46:24 AM »

I agree with both points. I just received a rad package from my secret craftster who seems to have gone back through my old posts and seen that I complain about the lack of good fabrics where I live so she sent me some fabrics and buttons and loads of rad stuff, along with some beautifully crafted items.

I was so excited when I saw what she had sent me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juliel85
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005 04:50:07 PM »

I agree as well...i think post stalking is kinda fun (call me crazy) and yeah, it adds to the element of surprise.  As for the store bought part...I don't see anything wrong with sending along a few little fun things if they apply to the theme, but it can get out of hand.  I've seen some swappers send packages that are almost entirely store bought, and I think that's wrong.  But on the whole, I agree.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jadey_mcshadey

kys mig, jeg er dansk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005 05:00:06 PM »

You're right. I recently saw a swap package that seemed to be made up entirely of things from the Sampler. I don't know if the crafster-er said that s/he didn't make the items, but I hope so. Passing off someone else's art as your own is pretty low.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkMafia

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005 05:03:30 PM »

I always say if I made something or not and I personally don't go crazy with store bought items, I spend all my money on clothes and craft supplies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brena80

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005 07:11:36 PM »

Hooray for spending all of my expendable money on clothes, craft stuff, and shoes.   Sometimes, I wish there was a place for me to post pictures of myself in shoes.   I can't wait for boot season.   Can't wait.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftydame

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2005 08:21:51 PM »

Sometimes, I wish there was a place for me to post pictures of myself in shoes.   I can't wait for boot season.   Can't wait.   

why don't you start a thread? if we have threads to show off our hair, tattoos and pets, we should be able to have shoes too!

fashion is crafty!

(plus, i have the CUTEST shoes to show off!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jadey_mcshadey

kys mig, jeg er dansk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005 08:29:34 PM »

Sometimes, I wish there was a place for me to post pictures of myself in shoes.   I can't wait for boot season.   Can't wait.   

why don't you start a thread? if we have threads to show off our hair, tattoos and pets, we should be able to have shoes too!

fashion is crafty!

(plus, i have the CUTEST shoes to show off!)

Word. I love shoes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkMafia

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005 08:43:13 PM »

I LOVE LOVE LOVE shoes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2005 12:09:49 AM »

shoes=http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=46530.0
yum yum, i love shoes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brena80

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005 06:29:44 AM »

I'm running out to get batteries for my camera on my lunch break... I can't wait to go home and take pics of my shoes!  I need to repaint my toenails first though... oh!   and I can also use that thread to ask for opinions on my pending shoe purchases.   I take planning to a whole new level. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2005 12:17:36 PM »

Brena80, you CRACK me up, you are so funny. I actually laughed out loud. It is a great idea though (thanks crafty_dame). I actually thought of taking pictures of me wearing my shoes but thought my toenails need repainting. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

super geek

"She does it at mealtimes, in the loo..."

KnitWhore

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2005 12:00:49 PM »

Ok, people, I'm going to change them to include the points you made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just  because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have"

I'm back!  Older, wiser, and better at crafting Smiley.
craftydame

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2005 02:45:33 AM »

Ok, people, I'm going to change them to include the points you made.

thank you! that's awesome!

did you add the bit about allergies too? i didn't remember reading it before. i'm glad you did though. if you're going to update it again anytime, maybe you could add something about scented stuff too? i always forget to mention that when i sign up for swaps, and then hope no one has sent me soap or anything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

super geek

"She does it at mealtimes, in the loo..."

KnitWhore

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2005 04:56:05 AM »

Yah.  That could be a big thing.  I'll add it too.  Your avatar is great, by the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just  because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have"

I'm back!  Older, wiser, and better at crafting Smiley.
brena80

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2005 06:59:11 AM »

Yay!   Thanks super_geek!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft_t_chic
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2005 05:49:53 PM »

Okay, I'm a little late... but here's my two cents. I always end up sending something that is store bought along with my package. Mainly because I am out somewhere and think about the swap or the person I am sending to and think, "Wow...that would be perfect!" so I just can't pass it up. But that's always along with whatever I craft for them...a bonus of sorts!

As for stalking posts, I sometimes do it just to get an idea of who that person is and what they like. For the two lines we get from them is nowhere near enough to really know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your promo stickers...your fave local band, your etsy shop, your zine, a sticker you picked off a bar wall, or even bumper stickers! I'm covering a table & need stickers! PM me!

http://www.wists.com/craft_t_chic

Free gift with every purchase!
www.crafttchic.etsy .com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Dr. Karyl McBride
Dannii Minogue Talks About Her Autobiography
Dan Gutman Talks About the Christmas Genie
Meet Author Mem Fox
Tough Enough Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...