A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: dit dit dit da da da... hat!  (Read 31782 times)
Tags for this thread: morse_code , hat , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nineightohone

Don't make me come over there!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2005 03:51:09 PM »

Wow. That's so funny I'm so speechless i forgot how to laugh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.~

Please come see my Etsy shop! www.notjustpurses.e tsy.com Thanks Smiley
girlwonder
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2005 08:44:36 AM »

that's pretty darn dope if you ask me... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gracie Girlwonder

"A vagabond, when rich, is called a tourist." -unknown

"To be somebody, a woman does not have to be more like a man, but has to be more of a woman." Sally E. Shaywitz, neuroscientist
xie
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2005 02:07:12 PM »

wow.. that is all kinds of awesome!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

homestar
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2005 02:44:46 PM »

That's so sweet, wow!  Knitting in code rules!  Now I'm going to use the link you gave to decode the morse code on the Interpol album.

waaaiiiit...  there's morse code on the Interpol album?  Which one?  Eh I wouldn't know, it's my bf's CD, I just ripped it to listen to on the iPod :-)

Anywho.  That is a fantastic idea!  You are very creative!  And thank you for sharing with us.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kp
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2005 09:39:04 PM »

it's been said before, but i ADORE this idea.  i keep trying to imagine what i would stitch into an article of clothing, and i keep coming back to the cat power song where she sings, 'it's so hard to go into the city, cuz you wanna say, 'hey, i love you' to everybody.' 

i just might have to make a hat that says 'hey, i love you,' shy-person style.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emily
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2005 04:01:32 PM »

I got glow in the dark yarn during stitches west, here's a link to the shop that had it:

https://www.woolstock.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=306&zenid=52a56f259c29f786b17d3f30321d719a

The yarn is called 'nightlights', I found it to be kinda scratchy, so an entire glow in the dark garment might be uncomfortable.  I've used it for intasia designs and in moderation it's not so bad...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
messel
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2005 09:14:43 PM »

K, I have this issue where I need things spelled out very clearly for me.  I have this guy friend who wants me to make him a hat, so I need to figure out how to do this morse code thing.  Since morse code is made up of long, short I'm a little confused with how you divided.  Say I were to do, "I love you"  Kiss.  You would put two white stitches between I, love and you?  Correct?  Did you put one white stitch between letters such as l, o and v?  Or did you put one white stitch between each break.  l is .--.. (short, long ,short, short, I guess?)  haha.  So would you do one orange, one white, three orange, one white, one orange, one white, one orange for that?  And then do one white and continue on with the morse code for o?  I hope this makes sense.  I'm sometimes a bit slow.  So thanks for your help.  Haha. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2005 09:16:38 PM »

Messel, I'm having a similar issue with figuring out how to knit a scarf in binary code.  I've converted my message into binary (0's and 1's), but how do I translate it into stripes for the scarf, like a barcode?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
alicesonmarie
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2005 11:12:08 AM »

each black row is a 1. and each grey row is a 0.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kat_nyc
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2005 01:36:18 PM »

So I just knit a hat for my boyfriend, and I realized that because we knit moving stitches from the left needle to the right one, I think I knit my message in a way that you have to read it from right to left.  You know what I mean?

Does anyone have advice about how to make it not happen like that?  One thing I did that did help was put this all into a grid of the 84 stitches I had on the needles (dpns) and then just colored in when I needed to use the stitch color.  So I could just knit along the grid, and that helped keep things straight.

Also, I did two stiches for dash and one for dot, leaving one stitch between dots and dashes in each letter and two stitches between letters

so the word K-A-T

which is: -.- .- -

was (using black wool on white):
bl bl wh bl wh bl bl wh wh bl wh bl bl wh wh bl

aka:
K = bl bl wh bl wh bl bl (dash dot dash)
space = wh wh
A = bl wh bl bl (dot dash)
space = wh wh
T = bl (dot)

Hope that doesn't make this all more confusing... And if anyone has insights into this right-to-left reading thing, please let me know!

I'll post pictures - I made one for him and now I'm working on one for me...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005 02:15:30 PM by kat_nyc » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tinsley Mortimer on Her New Book, Southern Charm
How to Stay Focused on Your Weight Loss
Alan Cumming Discusses His Macbeth Adaptation
Mark Henshaw on His Debut Thriller, "Red Cell"
The Forsaken Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...