A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 303,159
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First knitting project  (Read 1706 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: July 26, 2005 07:27:44 PM »

I'm not only new to this site, I am also a new knitter.  My first project was a dishcloth.  Pretty simple.  What I would like to know is your first knitting project.  Pictures would be great, that way I won't feel so bad about my horrible dishcloth (i love how my knitting a square can actually be called something).

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005 07:34:39 PM »

My first project was a pillow made from 8 garter stitch squares sewed together.  I made it almost 8 years ago, and I still have it (and display it proudly on my living room couch).  My husband is not home right now, and he has the camera, so I can't take a picture of it.  But I'll try to get a photo up here soon.
the sporty knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005 07:37:03 PM »

I dont have a picture cause I gave it as a gift but my first knitted project was a doll for my adopted cousin.  It was pretty simple, knit all in garter stitch with embroidered features and hair.... my second project was a little jacket and skirt for it.

Everything happens for a reason??? I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the reason
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005 03:55:24 AM »

My first project was a PATHETIC excuse for a dishcloth. I kept going so it was a little rectangular, but large enough that my boyfriend at the time (husband now) could use it for a washcloth. He's kept it and claims to cherish it, so he won't use it as a washcloth. I used Sugar & Cream (or is it the other way around?) and metal needles. Ack. Lots of holes, way uneven edges. But my next one was better.

Then I got wood needles and different yarn and tackled a scarf, then jumped to circs for a chemo cap.

Welcome to the wonderful (and addictive) world of knitting!

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005 11:18:46 AM »

my first was a scarf, unless you count the many rectangles i knit and took apart, trying to think of something to do.

there's plastic on the furniture to keep it neat and clean,
in the pine sol-scented air, somewhere that's green...
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005 05:38:24 PM »

My first was a toque with double-pointed needles.  After that came a pillow for a friend with her name on it in duplicate stitch.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005 06:45:59 PM »

My first project was a scarf made out of Red Heart. It was stockinette stitch- knit on one side, purl on the other. I didn't know then that this stich will curl no matter what, so I ironed it thinking it would flatten out. Since it was acrylic, it melted! I have learned so much since then about knitting and fibers.  Cheesy  I'm sure your washcloth is just fine for a first project. Keep at it! Knitting gets so much easier the more you work at it.

My first FO
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005 07:23:25 PM »

My first knitting project was a garter stitch scarf...I just kept knitting and knitting and worked on it for like 5 months, and it's literally about 20 feet long. I still have it, cause I can't throw it away after all that work, but I have no damn idea what to do with it!

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!

my favorite sport? knitting!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005 08:45:59 PM »

Mine was also a garter stitch scarf, in horrible colors (orange-red and black stripes!  yikes!) in a bulky Lion Brand yarn.  I started with, like, 20 stitiches, went up to 32 at some point, and then mysteriously back to 20-something by the end.  I remember calling a friend and being like, "I keep adding stitches...what's wrong with me!?"

I donated the scarf to Goodwill this summer.  I wonder if anyone has bought it?...
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005 03:09:43 PM »

I started doing a scarf out of yummy koigu and undid it 3 times; the last time because I didn't have enough yarn for the width (WAY to short). The last time I made it skinny and modeled it after the wavy gravy pattern out of Stitch and Bitch

To merely accept anything without questioning it is to be somebodyelse's puppet, a second-hand person. --Some philosopher.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Loose Side Braid
How Style Beachy Waves
How to Style Short Hair
How to Get a Braided Up-Do
How to Curl Your Hair With a Straightener
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...