A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL copy of a taggie blanket  (Read 33339 times)
Tags for this thread: taggie_blanket , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bookgirl
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2006 07:13:02 AM »

I might make a blanket like this but have a question: what do you put in between the two layers of fabric? I haven't read anything to that effect, but wouldn't two layers of fabric not make for a very warm blanket? Perhaps I could get some quilt batting, or just another layer of fleece.

What do you think?

You don't need to put anything in between if you're using fleece.  If you're doing a cotton or flannel version, some light batting would do.  When the babies are really little, they aren't using the blankets for warmth (or shouldn't be -- SIDS and suffocation and all those types of hazards); they're just for stimulating play.  My daughter was given a store bought taggie, about 12"x12" with five tags to a side, and she loves fiddling with and sucking on the tags.  I've seen even smaller ones -- don't feel you have to make a crib blanket (unless you really want to).

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitty mcknitknit

I love scotch, scotchy scotch scotch, down it goes

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2006 08:28:10 AM »

Thanks so much, bookgirl! I will keep it simple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Daisygirl

2 kids, 2 cats, 2 birds...why didn't I get 2 men?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2006 10:30:20 AM »

Great tutorial!!  I love making these for showers.  My younger dd is nearly 3 and she still uses the one I made her as an infant.  It's her dolly's blanket now.  Cheesy

I'm going to post a warning about Taggies though.  Taggies are a patented product in all shapes and sizes and they are very diligent about protecting their patent.  It's OK to make them for personal use.  No one is going to prosecute a mom for making something for their child (or a friend's child like as a shower gift) but they WILL come after anyone that makes them for resale.  A mom on BabyCenter very narrowly avoided getting sued 2 years ago because she was offering to make them for other mom's on the message board of her birth club.  Taggie has people that comb the internet including ebay looking for people who are using their patent.  I was in the same birthclub as this mom and she was emailed and called by their lawyer and told to not advertise or sell their product.  I just wanted to let everyone know because I would hate for a Craftster to get harassed by this company. 

Sorry to post a downer on the thread.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitty mcknitknit

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2006 03:30:11 PM »

I've read about this: how vicious the Taggie people are, and their lawyers. Thanks for posting, though -- so everyone knows we can't really sell them. I'll make a slew, though, just 'cause I can!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Daisygirl

2 kids, 2 cats, 2 birds...why didn't I get 2 men?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2006 03:38:41 PM »

Muhahaha! Me too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frog girl
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2006 07:15:52 PM »

So cute!  I have a question though(I don't sew so I apologize if it sounds odd) why do you sew the ribbons to the right side of the fabric and have them point in to the center of the blanket?

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Nicole
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitty mcknitknit

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006 06:44:18 AM »

Hey frog girl,

Someone else could probably explain this better, but I'll try. I was also confused ("the right side? really?") but when you try it, you'll see.

As you see, you pin them to the right side with the fold (top of the loop) facing the center of the blankie. This way all three of your raw edges -- blanket top, blanket bottom, and cut edges of ribbon -- are together. When you sew a straight line across -- and remember that you will be looking at the wrong side of your material, and not able to see the ribbon, which is sandwiched inside -- you will secure the ribbon to the blankets. Once you turn it right-side out, your ribbon edges will be INSIDE the blanket.

Does that make sense? again, someone else could explain it better. There's a good picture on this thread -- not sure if it's still there -- with a mini-blanket that helps illustrate this.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spangle
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006 09:52:09 PM »

Cool blankets. I made a taggy cube toy for my little girl in 2000 (same time as Taggies got started, I guess), when she was going through that stage of fiddling with the tags on her toys all the time.

And how outrageous that taggie.com would get all up-in-arms about this stuff. I mean, probably every mother has independently come up with the idea herself (but maybe not actually made something). It's so familiar: "why is it that the best part of this toy is the bum-tag? huh?" :-)

Cheers,
Miriam
THIS ROCKS   Logged

deceptive.fragileness
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2006 11:02:14 AM »

ah. i am saddened. I am in the process of making a flannel blankie for my little girl and was going to use that satin blanket binding but it's giving me a rough time. Taggies around it would be even better but alas, I have already embroidered several images on it so I wouldn't be able to flip it inside out if ya get what I mean. Any Ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all
sweetpea74

Not now darling, mummy's sewing!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2007 07:07:49 PM »

I am so pleased I found this thread - I also have several friends due in the next few months so I am inspired to make some taggies of my own!

I have a few questions though:

1 - Bearing in mind that EVERYTHING goes into bub's mouth, what is the best (i.e. read: non-toxic, non-fraying) fabric to use for the tags? Or doesn't it matter?

2 - Does anyone know what I can use to put inside the tags to get them to make that crinkly sound when bub grabs them? It's gotta be something like cellophane, but I have no idea how to get my hands on some.

Many thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Condition Long Hair
How to Style Long Hair to Look Short
The Best Haircuts for Long Hair
How to Know When to Cut Long Hair
How to Go from Really Long Hair to Really Short Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...