A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 303,105
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boutique style baby/kid blankets  (Read 1429 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: November 17, 2008 12:55:26 PM »

I'm a complete novice crafter. I've been away from craftster a long time ago...I once saw some beautiful boutique style baby/kids blankets being made by you talented mommies and displayed here. There was also a mama that was amazing and posted things she knitted or crochet for her new girl, quilts, real cool changing pads, you name it. They looked so professional. I cannot claim to be so talented but would love to give it a shot. I'm so intimidated at the idea of messing up though. I'm off on my own with no nearby help (or money) for guidance in getting started. Anyone have tuts for any of that stuff? It has to be easy to understand...again, no background with crafting (wish I'd have paid attention to mom as a kid). I'd love to do a quilt, boutique blanket, and some basic pants for my 15 mo old and 4 year old for the cool weather...straight leg with a little flare at the bottom. One is tall and the other so tiny...so I need to learn for their benefit too.
Any rec's? Thanks in advance for your ideas and patience.
I'm More Crafty Than I thought!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008 02:40:07 PM »

Hey there!

Well.. I might be able to help you! In the childrens clothing board there is a tutorial section (here is the link) http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=182788.0
If you go there they have all sorts of step by step tutorials! As far as the fear of screwing up and being completely new... I am right there with you! I just got brave one day and gave it a shot! For most of the things I make I don't use a pattern, I just find a pair of pants fold in half lengthwise and cut out two legs from that adding a little bit for seam allowance! They have all turned out great so far! Just trace a pice of clothing you like and cut it out! and then just sew it back together:) Good Luck!

Crafting Addict; no speciality

Darn picture :(

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008 05:15:21 PM »

Honestly... just try it!
I sew... but not often and usually not well.. but if I'm pretty confident with the cutting part, so it just means that sometimes I have to rip stitches out over and over  Cheesy
Start small - I made cloth blocks while my boy was sleeping, in just over 1/2 hour for one (double sewn and I only had to stitch rip once!!)

Crafter Cheesy

Currently swapping -
Back to Hogwarts: Sent!

Breathless Waiting for Breaking Dawn: Planning, purchasing and crafting Cheesy Not a minute too late, right? Such a last minute crafter...
nana of chloe
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008 02:18:42 PM »

Hi Petitern76,
How is your sewing going? You are on the best site to get help.The others have given you great ideas. Believe in yourself and start. Begin with things that just need you to sew straight seams. Kids pants are easy to begin with. Cut out a basic pattern from the ones that fit them now. Allow a little on each seam for growth, also allow extra length for the waist and hem. The worst part about sewing for child is that the grow too-fast so allow for it when you cut out. Baggy pants are cool. Add pockets ( which are really only a squarish piece of material, turned and hemmed at the top, and folded on the other three sides, then you pin them where you want them and stitch them on. Baby blankets just require you to cut straight and hem them. Trust me once you start you'll get the sewing bug.
Cheers and good luck.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear White Denim
How to Rock the Boho Chic Look
How to Wear a Bright, Bold Dress
How to Wear a Cool, Sleeveless Jumpsuit
Dress Like a Fashion Icon This Halloween
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clever Containers for Cuttings
September 30, 2015 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Spiral Veggies Recipes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...