A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Islamic Knitting?  (Read 1795 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazycatladymel
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005 02:57:39 PM »

I don't know if this would work, but it is just an idea for something that can be a more modern accessory but also can cover one's hair: http://207.58.146.245/index.php/knitone/blog/la_boheme/

The pattern used for that one is out of I.K., but all that is going on is a ring of garter stitch, knit in the round, on very large needles (all the better for making a family's-worth).  You could also accomplish the same result with a rectangle and then sewing the ends together.

That is wonderful! It looks like there is a twist there, or is it just how it's arranged?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acesulfamek
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005 03:02:19 PM »

Thanks.  There is a bit of a twist to it, like what they call a 'mobius scarf'.  They do it in a very fancy (needlessly complex, if you ask me) way that invovlves casting on just a few stitches on circs then doing some increasing...  The better way to do it, I think, would be flat and then just give it a twist before sewing it into a loop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazycatladymel
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005 06:09:39 AM »

This might be too fluffy, but it can be worn as a shawl/capelet or head covering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maryam Ovaci

I love you, Interlibrary Loan.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005 07:57:02 AM »

Hmm, what kinds of yarns do you think would be the lightest, while stil providing coverage?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You bring Athena home five minutes after her curfew and not only does Zeus smite you with a lightning bolt, he transforms into a goose and seduces your mom." - Questionable Content

My own tiny knitblog, soon to include spinning!
http://pandabonzai.blogspot.com/
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2005 09:46:09 AM »

Thanks.  There is a bit of a twist to it, like what they call a 'mobius scarf'.  They do it in a very fancy (needlessly complex, if you ask me) way that invovlves casting on just a few stitches on circs then doing some increasing...  The better way to do it, I think, would be flat and then just give it a twist before sewing it into a loop.

Or you could just use circular needles, and give your cast-on row a half-twist before you join and knit into the first stitch. (All the stitches from then on will naturally follow that twist.) Goodness knows, I've done that accidentally enough times when trying to knit a tube!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
karissabissa
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2005 08:11:16 PM »

I ran across this patter which is similar to the one you linked to but thought I'd post it anyways in case you find it useful... http://www.fuzzymabel.com/patterns/fiesta/fy_wrap_mobius.shtml
THIS ROCKS   Logged
acesulfamek
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2005 09:42:07 PM »

Karissabissa: Yep, that pattern is pretty much exactly like the one from IK in terms of the finished product.  Same yarn, too (La Boheme). 

If you wanted to make something with a similar look, but more for warmer weather, it would be easy to sub Fiesta's Rayon Boucle which comes in the same colors and everything as La Boheme (and is one of the stands in La Boheme, just without the matching mohair that they strand with it).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maryam Ovaci

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2005 11:24:34 AM »

O.o I think I'm going to try and be brave, and make some patterns for this myself. Hey, who knows, if I can think up enough maybe I could publish them! XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You bring Athena home five minutes after her curfew and not only does Zeus smite you with a lightning bolt, he transforms into a goose and seduces your mom." - Questionable Content

Maryam Ovaci

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2005 01:51:38 PM »

Muahaha, patterns coming along well..    XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use a Dutch Tilt
How to Increase Your Available Light
How an SLR Camera Differs from a Point and Shoot Camera
Learn about F Stop Increments
Learn about Depth of Field - The Three Rules
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...