A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Geek knits - an interesting philosophy  (Read 4360 times)
Tags for this thread: geek  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mackster
« on: July 26, 2005 11:01:33 AM »

OK, I was talking with some of my geeky crafty friends this morning while I was suppsoed to be working, and we sort of realized a simple, obvious, yet fascinating revelation:

Notice that most if not all, geek television shows/movies/books have some form of knitted objects in them? Knitted objects that become memorable in some way? Also, for smarter geeks, there seems to be a huge fascination with tying patterns and formulas to knitting. It's quite fascinating!

Off the top of my head, I can think of several geek-based knits, just by looking at these forums:

- Jayne Cobb's hat (from Firefly, in fact, I started that thread here on Craftster)
- Tom Baker's Doctor Who scarf
- Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy knit dolls from the movie(Ive seen some awesome attempts at Marvin!)
- Harry Potter scarves, sweaters, etc. (not to mention the several knitting references IN the books - there's a thread about that here somewere)

For science-minded knitters, we have:

- The ever-fascinated Fibonacci sequence, which people attach to knitting in a variety of different ways.
- The works-amazing-with-knitting Moebius scarf
- Hats fabricated on the ever-interesting science of Klein bottles.
- And my latest discovery, and possibly one of my favorites in the way of geek, the Probability Pullover.

That's just a small, small list of what geeky things can be knit. Add to the list! Discuss! What other geeky knits are there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Horse Power
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005 12:08:27 PM »

I just yesterday watched a StarTrek rerun (called Up the Long Ladder) where a woman was wearing a  lovely knitted garment with all these fancy cables. (It's weird how once you take up knitting you start seing it in places you never noticed it before.)  There was also a woman in this episode using a spinning wheel, and their farming/handmade lifestyle was presented as the polar opposite to the high-tech world. Although I think knitting is quite compatible with science, given all the math and patterning  involved.... and people will always have the need to craft!

In general, I much prefer fantasy to sci-fi because I'm much more attracted to that farming/handmade setting than I am to the high-tech ones. Much more interested in horses than hovercraft.

One day I must try the Magic Scarf:
http://www.spellingtuesday.com/magicscarf.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005 12:18:44 PM »

I have nothing more useful to add than my comment that the Klein Bottle Hat website you linked is hysterical.  Much-needed midday geek relief! =]
a*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
Maryam Ovaci

I love you, Interlibrary Loan.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005 12:19:15 PM »

My boyfriend thinks I'm a nut, now, because in all the horror movies and serious SVU episodes, I spend half the time trying to mentally pattern what one of the main characters is wearing Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You bring Athena home five minutes after her curfew and not only does Zeus smite you with a lightning bolt, he transforms into a goose and seduces your mom." - Questionable Content

My own tiny knitblog, soon to include spinning!
http://pandabonzai.blogspot.com/
westcoastchica
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005 02:45:41 PM »

Another geek here (a true, bonafide math/statistics geek no less). I'm SOOOOOOO going to try that Probability Sweater. Like SOON. I have a stack of white recycled yarn just begging for some interesting texture.

I so look at knitwear when watching TV - I saw this AMAZING Teva-Durham-reminiscent sweater on Stargate SG1 last night. I can't even describe it, it was too cool (and it was only on screen for like 10 seconds).

I'm definitely going to have to knit some Moebius strips and Klein bottles to put on my desk when I start teaching (highschool math) again...

I totally think science (and science-fiction), math, and knitting are compatible. If no other reason than you really do need some hot knitwear when cavorting across galaxies meeting new species!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliclimb
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005 03:02:55 PM »

Don't forget the DNA cable pattern.  I'm kind of fond of that one since I'm getting my degree in molecular genetics. Wink  I think I might have to knit a Moebius scarf for my mom, since she teaches high school math.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Glaistig
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005 03:44:46 PM »

Umm, that Probability Sweater totally rocks!  I'm thinking I would do something on a smaller scale, like a scarf.  I'd wear it when I felt particularly quantum-y  Grin

I found this Geek Knitting blog post earlier this week  --> click here.  It has a ton of links to enjoy (including some already listed in this Craftster post). 

I think I'm going to make a button for my blog that says "Geek Knitster" or something similar.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005 03:46:55 PM by Glaistig » THIS ROCKS   Logged

gymkeiki
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005 05:55:47 PM »

Would it count as geeky that I've written PHP sweater shaping calculators with pre-set sizes and entry forms for gauge and needle size, and then hosted them on the web server on my home network so I don't ever have to think about set-in sleeve patterns and raglan shaping again?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
useratl
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006 02:01:11 AM »

Scary that this could be true.

Alternative Rock Band, They Might Be Giants, who did the theme song for Fox's Malcom In The Middle, now has done an alphabet dvd for kids for Disney.

go the site, and see what you see . . . .

http://disney.go.com/disneyrecords/Song-Albums/theymightbegiants/index.html

These guys have a huge geek following . . . .   This rocks!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovemyff
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006 10:11:00 AM »

Perhaps to a lesser extent than Harry Potter, Narnia knits have also spawned quite a following. Mr.Tumnus' scarf and Lucy's beret are quite popular subjects. Lots of controversy over Mr.Tumnus' scarf! I need to knit Mrs.Beaver's tea cozy!

http://www.narniaweb.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12201&SCRN=0&PN=1
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
David Grann Talks About The Lost City of Z
Jennifer Weiner Reads from Best Friends Forever Part 2
Jennifer Weiner Reads from Best Friends Forever Part 1
David A. Kessler Talks About The End of Overeating
ReShonda Tate Billingsley Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...