A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Geek knits - an interesting philosophy  (Read 4491 times)
Tags for this thread: geek  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knit_north
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006 10:26:13 AM »

ok - great links! - i esp. love this klien bottle one - is there a pattern out there? - ....i could likely wing it but if a pattern exists i'd love to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006 11:39:25 AM »

I totally think science (and science-fiction), math, and knitting are compatible. If no other reason than you really do need some hot knitwear when cavorting across galaxies meeting new species!!!

Knitting = math. Just think about it. You have to count the cast on stitches. Then at some point you have to increase or decrease. Maybe a short row or two. If you have to switch to cables, you need to adjust your stitch count for that..
Need I go on? Wink

Charmed has a lot of knitted/crocheted items in it, so does Buffy, and if memory serves, Angel, too. Narnia, and Harry Potter, obviously (as has been mentioned). Uhm...Spiderman? As in the movies, of course. The hats and stuff that MJ wears are often hailed by fellow knitters.
Can't think of anything else at the moment though, but there's a ton out there
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
crazydoglady

I'm dating... and it comes with snacks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006 01:43:35 PM »

The one that pops into my mind is The Matrix movies. When they're on their ships or in Zion, they wear a lot of knit clothes. I seem to remember flipping through a book called Hollywood Knits (or something like that) that had a pattern for the sweater Neo wears (with deliberate drop stitches and whatnot).

And just to add: I have a degree in Computer Science, and the first large-scale item I knit (and the first one I knit for another person) was a Dr. Who scarf for my little brother for Christmas. Apparently I'm such a stereotype  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MostlyHarmless
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006 03:33:47 PM »

ok - great links! - i esp. love this klien bottle one - is there a pattern out there? - ....i could likely wing it but if a pattern exists i'd love to see it!

your luck- theres is actually one in the most recent edition of knitty

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTkleinbottle.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knit_north
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006 04:51:15 PM »

your luck- theres is actually one in the most recent edition of knitty

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTkleinbottle.html

oh wicked - thanks [i totally missed it - i frequent knitty!]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006 06:22:45 PM »

Don't forget crochet hyperbolic planes.  I have posted about them once before, now where did I put that link... I'll get back to you all with that.  *** dited 30/01/07 to add hyperbolic plane link *** 
http://www.theiff.org/oexhibits/oe1e.html

I have also seen a lot of Star Wars knits, especially stuff using the rebel alliance logo.  I am sure I have seen R2-D2 and Darth Vader hot sauce cozies somewhere on the net, I think they were crocheted too.

I can certainly understand the need to recreate an item from a movie or TV show.  I have made the crochet top Jennifer Love Hewitt was wearing on the beach in I Know What You Did Last Summer.  Not a geeky movie (and I didn't like it), but I figure it is a very geeky thing to do none the less.

One geeky thing I did knit, was a Gambit glove for my swap partner in the recent X-Men swap.  But he does not normally wear a knit glove, it's sewn.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007 04:19:24 PM by Miss_Vicki » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007 04:13:00 PM »

Sorry that this is another crochet item from me but I think it deserves a mention.  Scientists have been using crochet models to understand weather patterns, really.  Yeah sorry, also not a TV or movie thing, but guys, it blows me away that this is for 'real'.  This is just a news article at this stage, no pictures yet.  I hope to find out more.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200701/s1835760.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
evilsciencechick
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007 05:42:53 PM »

well, i'm not sure if this really qualifies as geeky (more lame and sad?), but i've become a huge fan of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends lately.

And I'm 30.

Anyway, I've been playing their online game (the houseparty game)  (shut up, I know I'm 30), and basically, your character goes on little errands all over the foster's house, and you interact with all kinds of little imaginary friends.  And one of those friends, when i can find him/her, is always sitting in a chair and knitting.  Woohoo!  as far as I can tell, this friend is not featured in the cartoon.  But it always makes me happy when I run across him/her.

Grin

i vow one day to come up with a knitting pattern for my favorite character:  Cheese!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evilsciencechick.com

Science, knitting, ranting, and sex.  Not always in that order, and often all at once.

Look for me on ravelry!  Hey, that rhymed!
Misscritta
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007 08:31:23 AM »

If you come up with a pattern for Cheese, I would love to see a finished object. Cheese is a favorite in my house, as I have a 6 year old boy. (Okay, I use him as an excuse to watch Foster's and Billy & Mandy...Shhhhh.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'll have a Bloody Mary and a steak sandwich and... a steak sandwich, please.
queenoftroy
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007 09:07:43 AM »

the mother lode of geek knitting can be found here:
the home of mathmatical knitting

a friend sent me this site recently, and i pointed out, at the bottom, there is a link to Thomasina's page of Geek knitting, (and thomasina credits me for some of her links! (at my old aol address, not my blog(i quit aol more than 2 years ago!)

my favorite geek knitting site is Hex and Bin, meet my friends knit and purl.
i recently made (and blogged about) a hat i made useing a fibonacci formula, (a second hat is in the works)  and now i am working on the Phyllotaxis scarf (norah gaughan, Knitting Nature) which is an other application of fibonacci numbers.

(i have also made klien bottle hats, and moebius scarves, and celular automaton fair isle hats.. and well, been using math very consciously in my knitting for years!)

even things that don't immediately seem geeky often are.
EZ's famous Pi shawl, works on binary numbers at its heart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Pork Loin Roast Sandwiches
How to make Arugula and Scallops with Cornbread
Shrimp Salad Recipe
How to Make Beer Nuts
Country Sausage Gravy Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...