A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
436 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wood working?  (Read 12531 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CChaffin
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2009 11:20:36 AM »

Just signed up on this site hoping to find other woodworkers. I am currently burning a drop-leaf table and working with Burl wood. I used to help make Bamboo Flyrods for Thomas & Thomas and got really into working with detail.

If anyone is working right from the tree, I'd be interested in chatting. I'm drying a few pieces to work on over the winter.

I've also done furniture refinishing and would love to learn how to work with veneers, especially to do repair jobs, but also would be cool to do inlays!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2009 11:38:55 AM »

Welcome, CChaffin.  It's always good to see new/other woodworkers on Craftster.  We seem to be in the minority at the moment, but we are adding to our numbers all the time.

Take a look around, check out the tag cloud (view topics by tag), and after you have made ten posts you can share some of your work.

In the meantime, I do some woodturning right from the tree.  I love turning green wood.  It's like cutting butter when it's warm.  I've tried burl turning, with limited success.  That's only because I don't spend enough time at the lathe.

I've also done some refinishing, but I've never worked with veneers.  I really would like to do some inlay for chess boards or boxes, but so far I have not.

My specialty is historic wood toys, simple board games, and tavern puzzles.  I also dabble in outdoor art.

I've just recently acquired an old barn that fell down.  I have some rough hewn planks that are 18 inches across.  I'm seriously considering making some tables and benches.

Anyway, welcome to Craftster.  I look forward to seeing some of your pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 62 done
minouette
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2009 12:52:40 PM »

I love to see some of this stuff CChaffin and pinokeeo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
pinokeeo

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2009 01:01:21 PM »

Some stuff is already up.  I have tagged just about all of my posts that have anything to do with wood.  Go to the tag cloud and look for woodwork or woodburn. 

There are also some other awesome woodworkers and woodburners on Craftster.  I try to tag posts when I see them.

Most of the wood items are in the miscellaneous board.  Here's a link to that board.  You can also do a search from there.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=42.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

minouette
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2009 01:14:11 PM »

Thanks pinokeeo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
weedsndust
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2009 04:58:57 PM »

I'm 47 years old, and have been making things to sell since I was thirteen. I began to teach myself how to carve back then because it was considered a male domain. It was frustrating then - at this point in history it is making me FURIOUS to even feel a hint of that. People should be free and encouraged to work without gender bias in any realm they choose. The arts and crafts community should be supportive of that.

I came to this section to ask for a woodworking board. I hope to see it in the community feature soon. So glad that people are asking for it. Grin

For the young woman looking for a finer burning point - you can grind or sand the point of a 'useless' burning tip to whatever shape you like. It's basically a chunk of metal, so you won't harm it. I have different soldering irons, and I learned that trick with them. A wood burner is pretty much a lower wattage soldering.

And Pinokeeo - you're fantastic. My best wishes to you, and keep it up!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2009 05:24:00 PM »

Umm...ok, thank you, weedsndust.  I'm not sure what I've done to be fantastic, but I'll take it.

And welcome aboard.  It's always good to meet new people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2009 10:01:17 AM »

Ok, folks.  I have set up a poll for woodworking.  Please, everybody go there and add your information.

Here's the link:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=322300.msg3717852#msg3717852

Show your support.  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2009 10:08:49 AM »

Hey, pinokeeo!  Is that something you'd like the Moderators to follow along with as it applies to Craftster itself, or is it just a general discussion/curiousity about woodworkers?  If it's the latter, it might be more suited to the Misc. D&Q forum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes!
pinokeeo

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2009 10:26:02 AM »

Well, I sort of set it up as a general curiosity, but it might be good for the mods to follow along.

I did ask that there be no discussion, only information.  So it might be better if you all were following it.

What do you think, Sweets?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...