A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
459 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wood working?  (Read 11098 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mayerlove
« on: July 26, 2005 09:37:20 AM »

i think there should be a woodworking board. is anyone else intrested?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
minouette
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005 10:41:31 AM »

Hello-
I'd like to learn more about wood working, but haven't anything more to offer. I hope you find some wood working craftsters. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
abinka
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005 10:44:23 AM »

I haven't done any woodworking myself but I would like to look at people's projects, were there a board for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mayerlove
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005 01:31:12 PM »

I haven't done any woodworking myself but I would like to look at people's projects, were there a board for it.

that's what i was hoping for! i would like to learn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
kousagi
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005 06:22:25 PM »

This is another board I came in here to request  Grin

I think it would work quite well together with this request http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=39868.0 for a metalsmithing board.

Wood and metalwork sounds like a school class  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Once upon a time...
jadiepie-5

Behold the phonics monkey!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006 12:05:05 PM »

I second that!  A metalsmithing/ woodworking combo board sounds like it would make sense - maybe if there were subdivisions and labels -- like home - for furniture, etc, Yard - for the big stuff outside, and other - for small items like welding together a pot rack. 
And each project post would have to start with "MS" or WW to identify what material you're working with, as opposed to splitting postings by material.  THat way, under "home", you could have someone who send in an idea for hanging shelves and someone else might have a way to do the same project using wire.Also, just so we don't get into lots of confusion of overlapping categories, how about one of the requirements of the wood/metal section is that the craft has to require some specific equiptment.  Like, it isn't woodworking if you're cutting molding strips down to edge some plywood that you've assembled a table out of, but if you had to use a router or whathaveyou to create dovetail joints, then it's woodworking.  I don't know how to use the stuff, my dad just has it in his workshop! 
Likewise, if you're refinishing a bookcase from Goodwill and you're using a belt sander, that's just a home recon. project.  But if you're building a bookcase from pieces of lumber and want advice on making something that will survive the wrath of a six year old, it's woodworking.  Same would go for metal/wire projects. If it requires welding or special equiptment, it goes here. 
Also, since this page would be dealing with more complex material and equip, it ups the risk factor - hence maybe a Jack-Ass type disclaimer:  if you don't know what you're doing, read and observe, but don't try without help.  Go take a class at HomeDepot... the equiptment can run about $100-$500 dollars, so most people wouldn't just go "pick up" a circular saw at HD and go give it a shot!
But this might be a way to keep projects where they should be so the rest of us who need help making a table can find the right instructions for moonlighters like us, and not the ones for semi-pro weekend carpenters! 
Oh, and there might also be a final good note - under the city/ local crafter posts, in addition to local craft fairs, etc, people could list places that teach these skills.  Llike if you know of an metalsmithie (??) in Muncie, IN who gives basic welding lessons in his studio on thursday nights, or if there's a really good HD in ATL that teaches basic carpentry for newbies, etc.  Or if you'd be open to teaching for a nominal fee.... that way, we don't have people getting all DIY with blowtorches - that would be bad.   Shocked

Thanks for listening!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
.:popsi:.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006 04:09:02 PM »

i realise this particular thread has been dead for a month or so, but i just wanted to say - seperate boards sounds like a great idea!  i'm trying to find out more about metalsmithing, i'd love to see peoples creations too.  it might encourage more people to post?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Iagent
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006 07:57:34 PM »

Bring on the wood working.  I can't get enough of it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My artwork can be seen here:  

Woodensail.com
Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006 11:06:56 PM »

I'm just beginning to learn to work with wood. I'd love some simple tutorials on things and somewhere I can get advice on how to start off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006 11:42:39 PM »

actully i know someone who went to menards, bought a power saw and wood and had at it.  I also did this with a nail gun.  Im also a person who never uses a pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
How to Make Nails Grow Longer and Stronger
Expert Shares Best Beauty Products That Are Good For You & The Environment
How to Transition Your Makeup For Warmer Weather
How to Apply Glitter Eyeshadow
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...