A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
495 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want to learn how to sew!!  (Read 2319 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sparky
« on: July 26, 2005 09:08:18 AM »

I can't sew.  I'm terrible at it.  I have a machine (a present from my mom when I was in college and recovered a couch my hand).  But everytime I go near the machine, it ends in tears (usually mine, and in one particularly horrid case, also my husband's).

Can anyone recommend good classes? 

Or does anyone want to teach me?  I will pay you.  I have some free time next week.  I just want to know how to thread my machine, and how get the tension adjusted so that my attempts to practice sewing stright seams don't always fail.  I don't want to creep anyone out, so we could meet somewhere public (I live near Lyn-Lake in Mpls, so maybe Urban Bean Coffee Shop??) and I could bring my machine.  PM me if you are interested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pumpkingirl
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005 05:51:40 AM »

Usually Crafty Planet has a class, but I just checked their site and I don't see any coming up. I'll check with Trish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midwest Craftster!
LRS
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005 06:01:19 AM »

Here are some places that may offer lessons

- adult ed through the school department
   - sewing machine stores
   - fabric stores
   - a college that has fashion or design programs

If you know a sewer, just ask.  Most of us love to show a newbie how to get started.

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy. com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.co m
Valoir

I knew I could make it myself!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005 08:06:26 AM »

Have you heard of Treadle Yard Goods on Grand Ave. in St. Paul?   It is our local independant fabric store (good to support them) and they have pretty good class offerings.  I don't think they have a website, but if you visit their store they have a brochure of classes.  Another great place is the Textile Center on University Ave.  They have a bulliten board where you could post a request for a teacher.  They have a nice website and may list sewing classes.
Another great thing you should check out is the Sewing Expo in November (usually).  http://www.sewingexpo.com/cities/minneapolis.htm
There will be workshops and classes that you can sign up for and the teachers are all professionals.  Two years ago I took a class on making those collages out of fabric (a quilt to hang on the wall) and that was fun and really creative. 
Minneapolis Community Ed at Southwest high usually offers classes like making curtains, which would be a good place to start with straight lines.   
I think there are plenty of resources around here to get you started. 
Valerie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

it's all jewelry all the time!
http://www.valoirdesigns.com
wannabewannabeme
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005 10:57:14 PM »

((((((hugs))))))) I would come show you how to sew but I am 150 miles away from TC. Anyhow Since you say your main probs are threading your machine and adjusting tension I found you some articles online that might help you. If not and you do not have a manual booklet for your machine let me know what brand/model it is and I will see if I can find someone with a copy for you. Good luck in your learning to sew adventure... it can be really frustrating but it is so truly worth it in my opinion. I hope these links help you.

THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO TENSION ADJUSTING   http://www.sewalot.com/tension_adjustments.htm

Threading Your Machine, Filling the Bobbin and Adjusting Tension  http://www.sew-whats-new.com/sewing/threading.shtml
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
meow!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005 04:28:53 PM »

although i am a beginner, i can teach you a little. i've taught my friend and my class was called "Getting to know your machine 101!"  otherwise crafty planet is THE BEST! go there! immediately! otherwise i would be happy to help you at no cost.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

issue #3 of my zine is out! PM me for a free copy!
morr0226
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005 09:45:24 AM »

Crafty Planet in NE Minneapolis will do a private sewing machine tutorial.  I had no experience with a machine, spent one hour with Trish, and Voila!  I've since made skirts, pillows, purses, etc.  Just email the good folks at Crafty Planet, and they'll set you up.  The cost is minimal for a private lesson, too.

www.craftyplanet.co m
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sparky
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005 01:07:12 PM »

Y'all are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cats_pajamas
Certified Weirdo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006 06:58:23 PM »

just looked @ crafty planet, found this:

1. Sunday, February 26, 4-7pm (1 session) Sewing for Knitters--Needle Roll or Project Bag $20 plus materials. Make a needle roll or a tote with needle & storage pockets. Dont you need a place to stash your stash? Beginner Friendly Class.

and this
7. Sundays, April 30-May 7, 4-7pm (2 sessions) Sew A Bag $30 plus materials. Make a tote, bag, or purse of your choice. We have lots of Amy Butler and Sew Betsy Ross patterns to choose from, or bring your own (with prior approval). Some machine sewing experience helpful but not required.

Also, check Dell fabrics (Its somewhere in the metro...) the lady there knows some one one is a greate teacher. i might take some classes from her this summer
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006 07:00:07 PM by cats_pajamas » THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006 10:28:02 AM »

Treadle does have classes this spring, I'm taking one in April. It's so nice and the women who work there are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Basic Charm Bracelet
How to Attach a Clasp to a Chain
How to Attach a Clasp to a Nylon Cord
How Open and Close a Jump Ring
Learn how to Bead - Correcting Mistakes and Adding Thread
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...