A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,921
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fairy Costume Corset - Simplicity Fairy  (Read 4759 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eowynmn
Supergirl

Hello Nurse!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 26, 2005 05:49:22 AM »

I made the corset part of a costume I'm making for our local fantasy/ren fair.  It doesn't have a lot of support (as it's a costume pattern) so I think I'm going to put an extra bit of the pink fabric behind where the eyelets are so I can wear a strapless bra with it - or whenI'm all done the wings could cover that part.  I still have to make wings (and maybe the undershirt that goes with this) and the skirt with tiered ruffles. 

Anyway I wanted to share because it's the first time I've done eyelets or any boning (only on the sides in this pattern) and I think it turned out ok).

Also, for the eyelets I used my scrapbook eyelet setter and hammer and it worked great.  I've heard people having trouble with the eyelet presser.  Sometimes the simple way is the best way.

The pattern I used was 4902
Front view:

Back View:

Up close on eyelets:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005 05:56:51 AM »

Great job!  That's a very good color for you.  I can't wait to see the finished project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
she

Make Poverty History

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005 10:50:13 AM »

yeah that colour looks great on you... and the wings sound fun - be sure to post when they're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting is SEW fun
europebound_84

Next best thing to an automatic dryer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005 08:13:18 PM »

Oh my god!! Awesome! I have this pattern and attempted it a while back -- I wanted to make it reversible so it would go with many things. I made it out of red and purple satin with a black braided cord for the lacing. It looked great, but as I finished it and tried it on, I realized that I had made a most horrible mistake . . .. I left out the boning! D'OH! And the way I had done the reversibility I couldn't go back and put in the boning, so I chunked it Sad

But yours looks AWESOME! Great job! Oh and if you dont mind me saying, "you go girl!" for being big breasted and wearing a corset! Im the same way and I love corsets, but alas, they are so hard to hold up (unless they are like the "real" corsets that people used to wear as underwear).

Anyway, its wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kattghoti
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005 08:32:13 PM »

That does look great!  The eyelets turned out great... Now I want to buy an eyelet setter!  Which one do you have?

It makes me so happy to see people's finished projects when I help them with the fabric.  I can never imagine what everything is going to look like.  I love the little pointy bits on the chest (I'm sure there was a better way to say that, but whatever!)

I can't wait to see the rest of the costume.  Do you already have the fabric or will I be seeing you again soon?   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

megggan

tardy george mcclellan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005 09:01:42 PM »

oh my gosh, that looks gorgeous! you have got to post the whole project when you're through.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love is a dream you enter though I shake and shake and shake you.
andi_sunrider
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005 09:11:04 PM »

That's really cute; it looks great on you! I love corsets:). Is that just bridal satin type fabric? I haven't ever attempted this pattern, so it's nice to see that it looks good when made! I'm also voluptuous, and have been trying to figure out how to keep the corset from flopping without wearing a bra (cuz I think the skin under the lacing in the back is sexy, and don't want to cover it up!). I've been wondering if clear plastic straps would work? Hmm.... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy.com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
eowynmn
Supergirl

Hello Nurse!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005 06:00:36 AM »

That does look great!  The eyelets turned out great... Now I want to buy an eyelet setter!  Which one do you have?

It makes me so happy to see people's finished projects when I help them with the fabric.  I can never imagine what everything is going to look like.  I love the little pointy bits on the chest (I'm sure there was a better way to say that, but whatever!)

I can't wait to see the rest of the costume.  Do you already have the fabric or will I be seeing you again soon?   Cheesy
hah!I guess they are pointy bits.  And i do have all the fabric, BUT I have to come in and see you on friday I think if you are there because I need to get some white faux fur and leapor faux firl and white and pink satin for a project for my friend who's getting married. *wistles*

THIS ROCKS   Logged
pamplemousse
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005 07:46:16 AM »

Va-va-voom!!! I think that you will be flirted with mercilessly at the RenFaire!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm covered in bees!
kattghoti
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005 02:20:02 PM »

hah!I guess they are pointy bits.  And i do have all the fabric, BUT I have to come in and see you on friday I think if you are there because I need to get some white faux fur and leapor faux firl and white and pink satin for a project for my friend who's getting married. *wistles*

Gah!  The one day I don't work! (They'd seriously have me working seven days a week if I didn't have zero availability on Fridays!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Shatter Effect - Motion 3
How to Create Reflections - Motion 3
How to Make Stuff Bounce to Music - Motion 3
How to Build a Chroma Key - Shake 4.1
How to Make a Hologram - Shake 4.1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...