A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
403 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Personalized License Plate Purse (or a box) with Tutorial  (Read 8039 times)
Tags for this thread: license_plate , license_plate_purse , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2005 06:21:03 PM »

So you probably stumbled upon my first license plate purse, which is a bit of a pain to make and worse to explain how to make.  It is here if you are hunting that instead:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=2162.0

This one is a lot easier and best of all is perfect for those personalized plates! I made this one with my old ham plates.  Since it has my call letters on it, Ive covered them for this post.  No offense but it is really easy to hunt people down by their call letters and I only like to flash them now when out with my fellow radio geeks.  Anyway, I think this one maybe an option for those of you overseas if you play around with it a bit.

So, heres the purse that I made:

How to make this puppy:
1.   Clean your plates.  I used a bit of dish washing soap and lightly removed the bugs who have sacrificed themselves on the front of my plates.  Be carefully here.  You can remove the paint.
2.   Figure out where you want to bend and the resulting size you want.  I decided on either side of my call letters.  So it was like (bend)CALL(bend). But you could also do REDS(bend)FAN(bend) so on the sides it said REDS and on front/back it said FAN.  You just need to end up with 2 bends for the most part.  Mark your bends on each of your 2 plates.  The closer you are to exactly matching each plate to the other, the easier it will be to make the bottom later. 

3.   Bending the plates is next.  The way I did it as you can see by the photos is I clamped a heavy metal ruler on top of the plate at the bend point and then bent the plate by hand.  Older plates maybe harder to bend and a rubber mallet will help.

4.   Making the wood base.  This is a good use for scrap wood.  You want something thick enough for you to screw into the edge.  In the photo above you can see what I used and how it fits into place.  Cut the wood so that it fits into the plates and they form a box around the wood.  Depending on the plates, you can either overlap you plate edges or you may need to butt them up against each other like I had to.  Take a look at this close-up of the side.  Ignore the text right now other than to see the rivets.

For the above type, I used a bit of another plate behind the personalized license plate to rivet to.  If you are overlapping instead, you must figure out how much the overlap will be so that you wood base will fit inside.   Cut the wood and paint to go with your plates.
5.   Before we go any farther, those holes that you use to attach your plates to your car really look crappy.  I found that the grommets made by Gritz that you can get in fabric stores like JoAnns fit perfectly into those holes.  I just had them lying around and I love using them.  Place on in each of the holes. If you look at the photo with all the text, you can just see them under the handle screw and the gold earring at the bottom edge.  Yep, thats a earring.  You still have holes at the bottom that you probably wont be using so find something to fill them.  You may want to use a pretty gem or glass stone or a coin.  I used either hot glue or E6000 to glue it in plate.  I forgot right now.  The top edge holes ate perfect for attaching a handle latter.
6.   With a drill with a drill bit for metal, drill holes for the rivets and the bottom edge screws that will attach the wood to your plates.  If you havent already, put on safety glasses.  Metal shards in the eye are really bad.  You will need to figure out where to drill on your own because of the variations in the step 2 bends.  You should have at least 6 screws along the entire bottom for connecting the wood base. I had one on each end and two on the front and two on the back.  For the rivets, have at least 2 along each meeting edge.  You can see how mine is done in that photo with the text.  My butt joint has a total of 4 rivets. 
7.   Screw the wood base into place.  (You need to drill holes into the wood first to match the holes you drilled in your plates.  If you dont, the wood will split.) Rivet the plate edges into place. 
8.   Youve now got an open top box that you may want to use for something else at this point.  I think I may make another on for my incoming mail.  Unless you dont care about the surface you are placing this on, youll need to a so feet to the bottom.  I used chair sliders on the bottom of mine so that the plate edges dont scratch floor and tables and the like.  Adhere them to the bottom of the wood at the corners.
9.   For the handles, I sewed vinyl ones, put grommets in the ends and attached them with screws here.  You could thread them thru the grommet plate holes instead or used rope or whatever.  Maybe some nice bungee cord would go well for the theme.  Creativity is good here.
10.   For the lining, you can go whatever route you want here too. I sewed a box shaped lining to fit inside and added a drawstring top.  You may want to skip the top or you may want a flap cover instead.  Your plates are probably magnetic so you may be able to do a closer with a magnetic just sewn into the flap tip.  Creativity is also good here.

Enjoy! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cute_cinnamon
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005 04:28:45 AM »

wow just thought why have people not replied to this yet since youve obviously put a lot of effort into the tute. the purse looks great and very original you will stand out whereever you go im sure Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlackMarketBaby
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005 05:10:16 AM »

Wow, that's such a cute purse!
I like the original, too; I saw some similar in a shop a while ago and thought "hey, they pinched that idea off the girl in craftster!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poto_fan

No day But today

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005 04:53:53 PM »

SO cute. I would make one, but I'm lazy. Very unique and cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The heart may freeze or it can burn
The pain will ease if I can learn
There is no future
There is no past
I live this moment as my last
There's only us
There's only this
Forget regret
Or life is yours to miss
No other road
No other way
No day but today
Sati
Craftsterbator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005 03:51:51 PM »

Cool, I love it!  Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holly ~
kate conspiracy
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005 08:25:03 PM »

I love it! It's a great little purse, especially the drawstring top. I have two license plates from my car when I lived in a different state (my first license plates!). I've been saving them to make something out of them - I'm thinking of making a pot to plant a little house plant. But this is pretty cool. Decisions decisions...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mireneh

working like a dog?!?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005 08:48:52 PM »

Very cute!  I have my old SC plate (we only had one for our car) and I've been trying to decide what to do with it.  I'd love to ditch my Ohio plates, but I'll just have to be patient until I can move back to SC.  What part of Ohio are you in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support your local animal shelters and be a responsible pet owner by spaying or neutering your pet.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is waaaay more than being tired - imagine having the flu every day, quadruple that, and that's me on a good day!  No, I did not stay up too late last night either.....
shenaboo30
Creative Cute

Hay Do I know U ?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005 02:58:09 PM »

This one is so much better than your other one I really think that this one is kinda cute. I'd love 2 make 1 but I aint got time 2 get the money or materials
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Me Not Hate Me
bluecat158
bad influence

aww... i wanted to explode...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005 07:10:12 PM »

love it love it!  i'm going to be making a bag with my current plate once my alumni one arrives... i might have to try this one Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You haven't touched it?  Something is broken and it's not your fault?"

"I know - I'm scared too!"
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005 07:32:44 PM »

cute! Love the drawstring top!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Martin Leicht and Isla Neal on the Inspiration Behind "Mothership"
Mark Nepo on His Book "Seven Thousand Ways to Listen"
Susannah Cahalan on Her Book "Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness"
Sheryl Brady Presents Her Book "You Have It In You"
Alfie Boe Discusses His Autobiography, "My Story"
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...