A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,568
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: GIGANTIC flowers from recycled electrical parts  (Read 4731 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2004 10:23:33 AM »

i made these for the grand openning of a friend's coffee bar...

the stems are pvc pipe, so they really sway in the breeze when "planted" outside.

ingredients: electrical tape, pvc pipe, wire, tulle netting, a nerf ball, staples.

i'd be happy to post directions if anyone's interested Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chikki sixx
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004 10:48:26 AM »

those are cool!  is that decoupaged tissue paper around the window?  I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004 10:50:57 AM »

is that decoupaged tissue paper around the window?

actually, it's paint!  she taped the outline and did something with glazing and rags or a sponge-not sure which.  but i bet tissue paper would achieve a similar effect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shes so unusual
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004 11:13:40 AM »

i'd love directions! very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004 11:42:12 AM »

Those are so cool!  They would be great for an outdoor (or crazy indoor) garden party.  I wonder if you could run string lights up the pvc pipe to the flower and wire them around the flower petals.  Or maybe you could use the battery powered ones that they always have in the wedding section of craft stores but they have a white cord.  Oh! How great would they be set in concrete pots for a wedding or reception?  You MUST post directions.  Wonderful idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004 01:04:24 PM »

ok.  i wish i had taken pics during the process, but that was pre-craftster.

1.for the flower heads, i formed 12 guage "THHN" wire-green coated- (all of the electrical parts are available at big hardware stores) into loops for the petals.  i used one long piece and passed it through the nerf ball in between each petal.  (i think styrofoam balls would work, too).  after 5 petals, i wrapped several inches of the wire around one end of "schedule 40" 1/2 inch pvc pipe.

2.i used green electical tape to wrap the flower stem.  i started at the flower end and wrapped over the wire to hold it in place.  halfway or so down the stem, i wrapped the tape around the end of a leaf-shaped piece of wire, and then another foot or ro down, i wrapped tape around a "tendril", which i just wrapped some wire around a wooden spoon handle to form.  i continued wrapping the stem all the way to the bottom.

3. for the tulle netting (which i found at a fabric store), i cut vaguely rectangular shapes that fit around the front and back of the wire petal forms.  then i (sloppily) gathered the fabric around the wire and stapled it into place many times.  this part was tricky, and i ended up sort of rolling the edges of the fabric around the wire before stapling.  there must be a better way.

that's pretty much it.  it's not the most bombproof technique, but they have held up in strong breezes so far.
let me know if something makes no sense and i'll try to clarify!

and NynaeveAS- they would be great in pots with lights strung around them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrazeeMoi
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004 02:56:00 PM »

thanks for the instructions....I wonder... maybe instead of using tulle....use hosier/ tights??? should stretch over it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004 05:27:51 AM »

thanks for the instructions....I wonder... maybe instead of using tulle....use hosier/ tights??? should stretch over it?

yes!  great idea.  that would have been sooo much easier.  i imagine you could then spray paint the petals/leaves if they were a dull color.

oh, and i forgot to mention that i cut two of the 3 pvc pipes a bit shorter for a better "grouping effect"-and i used my pruning shears.  again, there's probably a better way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mexicomarti
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004 08:13:24 AM »

These are really fabulous!  What a great idea, and great execution as well.  What did you use as a "vase"?  

Marti in Mexico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004 08:48:58 AM »

they're freestanding-there's a piece of rebar stuffed into the bottom of each stem, which can then be stuck in the ground.
i think they'd look better in a large flowerpot, maybe sticking the rebar into cement and then putting the stems over that, or somehow casting holes into the cement that the stems could fit into.  maybe with a layer of grass planted on top of the cement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Next Big Make-Up Trend, from Katia Beauchamp
Tips For Dry And Sensitive Skin In The Winter, from Katia Beauchamp
A Trick To Making Your Eye Shadow Pop
Tips For Dry And Chapped Lips
Three Beauty Tips For Winter, from Katia Beauchamp
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...