A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [ACCEPTED - COSTUMES] A New Ren Faire Board?!?  (Read 12865 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LilithParker
Creative. Disturbed. Online.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2006 09:55:51 AM »

I'd love to see an Historical Costuming section in the Clothing board. So many faire outfits to show off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Writer78
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2006 07:16:37 PM »

Wanted to show you my faire favors - last year's was the burgundy shield with a pen tip.  This year's is a hand painted swan symbol w/pearly beads.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Effylicious
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2006 03:18:01 PM »

Did I already post to this one? I don't think so. I think a Ren Faire -- or at least a costuming board in general -- would be beyond terrific.  Please consider, Leah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a moment of silence, please, for those who never had the chance, they show up to a partybut they're never asked to dance, the losers, the liars, the bastards, the theives, the cynicists, the pessimists, and those who don't believe in nothing...
discocraze
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2006 07:49:30 PM »

I think it's a great idea! I'm currently working on my new project - Simplicity 9531 for the Ren Fest [Faire] in my area, and from what I know, alot have either started and will shortly be starting.

I'd definitely bookmark it. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"So soon forsaken? Young men's love then lies
Not truely in their hearts, but in their eyes."
LilithParker
Creative. Disturbed. Online.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2006 12:16:58 AM »

New faire outfit posted here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onthinice
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2006 08:52:19 PM »

My all-time favorite site for free patterns is The Renaissance Tailor.  If you go to Demonstrations, on the left is a large list of costuming tutorials.  I have made the Eastern European rectangular constructed coat, pants, and hat with a fair amount of success.  I am still figuring out how to get my garb to fit properly, but at least I have something to wear  Grin

I have also used the pattern on Geometric Construction of a Tunic, though I have not completed my dress yet.  It is mostly finished but needs to be hemmed and trimmed out.

ETA:  I am still figuring out how to get my garb to fit properly...  That is my fault with a tape measure, not because the instructions are off.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006 06:52:54 AM by onthinice » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2006 06:33:24 AM »

The lady who's site that is has colaborated on an article on the Greenland tunic (Viking/Norse Greenland colony) and it's *very* popular with some Society for Creative Anachronism folks...

I use a variation (her gussets are part of my sleeves) and take some glee in boggling folks minds with it.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
LadyV

The Girl In The Green

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2007 08:18:38 AM »

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but this has been tugging at my thoughts for the past couple of days.

If there were to be a "Historical Crafting" board, it could be put in the "Crafting for Specific Occasions" boards, since most of the costuming/crafting is done for specific events, like Faires, SCA events, Conventions, etc.

Lumping all facets (different eras, different pieces (clothing, jewelry, eating utensils), etc.) of Historical Crafting into one board would definitely help out those who are interested in that sort of thing, seeing as it would most likely be seen by people who appreciate it more than the average Halloween costume, and specific techniques that apply only to this area of sewing could be discussed without wading through the clothing discussion boards where a in depth thread is easily lost.

While it is an oddly specific board, so is the glass board. I would assume glassmakers and historical reenactors are about on the same level of rarity, so I don't see why this board shouldn't be seriously considered.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yea! Japanese speaking robots!"

I belong in 1540
aphie
Botticelli Babe

No narrow-hipped nymphet, I'm a Botticelli Babe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2007 03:44:24 AM »

The more I think about this, the more I think it is a good idea too.
Maybe we could have a "recreation board"? That way it would incorporate cos-players, and costumes and items people are recreating from films, as well as the SCAdians and Rennies?
There's just a slightly different sensibility to recreating historical stuff - and I'd love to be able to show some of mine off here, but at the moment, although I devote a lot of crafting time to it, I don't feel like the general boards are really going to be very open to me posting some 'traditional" garment (that I recreated from examining extant pieces, and reading copious notes and staring at tiny little miniatures for hours and am terribly excited about!)
Even filmic recreationists have to have "evidence", in the form of film stills and such, to go off, so it's a bit different to deciding to do something off the top of your head.

But also; there are a lot of rennies and SCAdians floating around on here. I notice something related to medieval stuff at least once every second week.
I know I'd post more if I had a board catering to that aspect, and i bet others would too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Craft Blog }
I do personal swaps - PM me!
Saturn
The Ditzy Gypsy

Dance first. Think later.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2007 04:34:20 PM »

I can't believe this thread is still alive. I looked back and I last posted in it in October 2005. Doesn't look like its happening guys. lol

But for the record, I still think a costume board would cover all areas. Whether its renaissance fair, cosplay, belly dance costumes, EGL...whatever. A costume is something out of the ordinary that you wear and all those fit into one category. As Karen Scalf Linamen would say- K.I.S.S! (Keep it simple stupid!). It's just a lot better when you have everything you want to look at in one place. Given the risen popularity of cosplay alone, I'd thought there would be one by now :-p.

Just my opinion anyway. ^_<
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently in:
WWP Round 29 Lughnasdagh 2011 swap!
Date to send item by: 07-25-11
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Monday Makeover - Highlighted Face Tutorial
Three Tricks to Achieve Bold Brows with Jeanine Lobell
D.S. & Durga Perfume House
Talk Pretty to Me: Cute Summer Hair and Makeup Ideas
The Pastel Lip Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...