A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,059
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [ACCEPTED - COSTUMES] A New Ren Faire Board?!?  (Read 12422 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2006 11:46:28 AM »

Modified length (from just under crotch length down to floor length) I've added width, by adding gores (center front, back and sides) and by swinging the side seams out.  I've modified the sleeves, from no sleeve to elbow length to long, I've done hanging sleeves (bell, angel wing and straight falls) and adulterated the necklines from the two options in the pattern.

The sleeves from the houpelande pattern will go right in the armholes of the tunic pattern, so some of the fancier dagged shapes can be transfered from one to the other with no other modifications other than matching sizes.

I've done them in several variations of patri color as well, but that's adding a seam or two at most.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
PurpleHeather
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2006 02:15:52 AM »

Cool - all those changes sound good Cheesy  I'm thinking about a long tunic for summer wear as the August game should be a warm one!

I'm looking at getting the houpelande and cotehardie patterns, as I like them.  I think my only criticism is that the tissue paper is very thin!

ALso, this Friday, I'm off to my local theatre's costume shop, to have a look through their Sale racks - I hope I can score some kit for a new system I'm playing in, where I'm either being a C17th french noble or a pirate!
I can't wait!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mikaiyawa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2006 06:45:36 AM »

I trace everything out onto cheap butcher paper.  I don't cut any of the patterns out (to many sizes and styles overlapping)  The sad thing is their tissue is a bit heavier than most of the commercial (Simplicity etc) patterns.

have fun rummaging... Grin

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleHeather
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2006 06:53:31 AM »

*grins*  I trace things off onto brown paper, likeparcel packingpaper, as that's what i can get here in the UK.  I was just worried that it would tear while I was clambering over it to cut it out - my only cutting surface is my livingroom floor, and the main tunic pattern sheet filled the floor.

I'm glad I traced this one, as my boyfriend now wants one of the tunics, and he's a mens XL, so I can reuse all of the pattern.

I'm really looking forward to Friday now - I'll let you know if I have any finds!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mirandaest

Ah! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayl!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2006 09:23:59 AM »

I think that's a good idea. Maybe "crafting for historical events" or something, so it doesn't have to be JUST for this era. Reinactments are done for the Victorian, Edwardian, etc., eras, too.

I agree that a board for "crafting for historical events" would be a great idea and it could encompass costuming/clothing as well as other crafts.There are lots of recreation societies out there and they differ greatly on how "authentic" their crafted items are (I belong to the Society for Creative Anachronism and even within that group there is much variety). It would be great to have a board where medievalists, civil war reinactors, renn faire enthusiasts, etc could all gather to post tips and techniques and cool completed projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't take the sky from me...
http://signal.serenityfirefly.com/

4 8 15 16 23 42
http://jayandjack.com/
pandaseal
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2006 05:38:54 AM »

This would be great to have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrashTestDuckie
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2006 06:31:56 PM »

I know there is loads of Renn/Med./RP threads on here and it would be great to have them in one place!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PurpleHeather
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2006 05:11:55 AM »

So, if we had one, where would it fit in the craftster heirarchy?  As a separate board in itself?  As a part of the clothing or miscellaneous boards?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleHeather
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2006 05:20:23 AM »

Ooh - forgot to mention for people in the UK that the East Anglia Medieval Fayre is in Bury St Edmunds on the 15th & 16th of July:

http://www.east-anglian-medieval-fayre.co.uk/

There will be jousting and tourneys, lots of craft demos and markets including my favourite supplier of linen and wool - Bernie the Bolt.  I'll be there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mikaiyawa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2006 05:33:55 AM »

So, if we had one, where would it fit in the craftster hierarchy?  As a separate board in itself?  As a part of the clothing or miscellaneous boards?

I think under the clothing board.  as that is where a large chunk of the board would be from.  Most of what re-creationists need is sewn or knitted.  Yes, there are "hard goods" like dinner wear, cooking gear and camp gear but the usual first critical is clothing.

I don't think a separate board is going to happen (to much work) as there would be some serious duplications if the Mods went that way.  And new folks would wind up posting in the wrong place or in both forums just to "get an answer quicker"

my opinions only...

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Blending Modes
How to Crop an Image
How to Customize a Sports Poster Template
How to Add a photo to a Sports poster
How to Use Basic Photoshop Elements
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...