A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 305,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [ACCEPTED - COSTUMES] A New Ren Faire Board?!?  (Read 13697 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PurpleHeather
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2006 01:08:02 AM »

I've just realised - I have no idea what goes on at a Ren Faire!  I know LARP very well, and understand how that works, but I don't know what happens at a faire!

Do you have a character or persona?  What is there to do?  Is there plot or stuff?  I'm intrigued!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2006 08:05:24 AM »

there are usually several sets of "characters" people who are working at the fair who are in full costume rig as  King, Queen, Courtiers, Knights etc.  Then there are the folks working the sales booths (employed by the booth owner not the fair itself) who dress up but aren't necessarily "in character"  then there are the paying customers who dress up and lastly the paying customers who don't dress up (and some of the convert to "dress up" customers midway through any given day)

beyond that it varies hugely by which fair you are talking about.  Otherwise it's more like a craft fair, just with people dressed up and acting "in character"

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2006 01:43:05 PM »

There is a fantastic Renaissance Fair in Shokopie (have drawn a blank on spelling), Minnesota just outside of the Twin Cities.  I think it is actually one of the top three in the nation.  It is open every weekend for a month, generally starting in August, and running through Labor Day, from 9:00am to 5:00pm.

There are seven or eight different stages for performers -- comedians and jugglers mostly; a jousting ring, where performances are done 2 -3 times a day; tons of shops selling garb, tents, leather work, metal work (both jewelry & weaponry); food shops -- turkey legs, ala the Henry VIII mythos, ale, "The King's Nuts", soups, cider (standard and fermented)... Robin Hood and the Sheriff hold a human chess battle once a day...rides for kids... and a falconer!

There is also a huge contingent of SCA people who roam the fair in character, as the noble court.  The SCAers and the craftspeople who travel the USA from fair to fair tend to be two distinct, separate groups because they have very different lives and motivations.  SCAers live in the area, hold mundane jobs, and are members of the Society as a personal passion.  SCA costumes tend to be very elaborate, often 'upper class' in style, and frequently historically accurate.  Crafters outfits may be less ornate, often more eccentric, and generally more durable.  When shopping clothes at Renn Fairs I've learned that the key to finding the best crafted stuff is to study what the actual rennies (trades/craftspeople) are wearing.  Fairs are their livelihood, and they don't waste money on garb that won't last.

Everyone should try it! At least once! And go in costume -- it is loads more fun!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
PurpleHeather
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2006 02:32:39 PM »

There's a Ren Faire/reenactor's market on this weekend near Coventry (UK) - http://www.reenactorsmarket.co.uk/

Sadly I'll be crewing at a LARP that weekend; masquerade ball at an 15th century manor house in Shropshire Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleHeather
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2006 03:11:04 AM »

Hi Guys!  I'm conteplating joining a LARP which is a Medieval/Dark Ages setting - http://bladelands.co.uk/home/.  Do you know of any suitable patterns for costume for a middle class trader style character?  Lots of the medieval stuff I know about is 'Maidens' and that's not what I'm looking at playing.

EDIT - found this page which contains some dark ages costuming advice - http://members.iinet.net.au/~bill/greyco.html

(Sometimes I hate having a Victorian era costuming fixation, and no Victorian events to go to Sad )
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006 03:34:59 AM by PurpleHeather » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mikaiyawa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2006 07:55:51 AM »

The Grey company website is a good one for basics.

If you still want patterns Medieval Miscellanea has a tunic set that is multiple variations on a theme.  I'm just not sure you can get them readily in the UK.  http://www.mediaevalmisc.com/ will let you look at them and see a list of places to buy them.  I have no idea why they don't let you buy from the webpage..  Huh

http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/ is another site with historical basics.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleHeather
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2006 06:15:19 AM »

I've started a thread about historical and costuming books - I was looking for reviews of ones, and thought it might be good to have some reviews here on craftster:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=86232.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleHeather
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2006 06:01:12 AM »

Rah - finished my folkwear corset - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=86593.0

And my pattern and book arrived today, so I'm going to snuggle up on the sofa with some brie and have a read.

Update - I also finished my tunic from the medieval miscellanea pattern - went well.  I think I'll post pics here, because I feel daft posting a brown linen tunic in clothing Sad

Here is a not very flattering picture on a hanger:

I'll post a picture of the whole outfit when it's complete.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006 03:06:29 AM by PurpleHeather » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mikaiyawa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2006 10:21:53 AM »

from what I can see (getting good pics of darks is *such* a pain isn't it?) it looks pretty good.

I've modified the *snot* out of that view.  The boys I play with like a wider "skirt" to fight in...

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleHeather
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2006 10:26:47 AM »

Thank you!  Cheesy  I'm doing the cuffs, seams, hems etc at the moment, then on to th enext project for this costume.  I'll get a picture of it when I've got the entire thing put together.

Oooh, fighting.  Not thought about fighting.  I reckon it should be fine, as I'm a trader primarily, though I will have a sword.

Out of interest, how have you modified it?  I was planning on making a long one as a standalone dress for summer event days, though I don't know how practical that will be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose a Good Fabric Paint
How to Choose a Japanese Calligraphy Character
How to Buy the Right Quilting Tools
How to Choose Brushes for Fabric Painting
How to Choose a Cross Stitch Craft Kit
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...