A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,803
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: removing peel-and-stick floor tiles  (Read 8355 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2005 07:26:58 AM »

Hey, does anyone know of a relatively easy way to remove peel-and-stick tiles from a floor?  The previous owners (of what is now our new home), for whatever reason, installed these really awful tiles in the bathroom within a month or two of us buying the house.  I'm sure they thought the tiles made the bathroom look nice, but they're white and they look terrible within five minutes of washing the floor.  Besides, they're totally NOT my style.  I want an inexpensive fix so I'm going with more peel-and-stick tiles, I think, but I don't want to lay them over the current floor.  I've been told that removing the old tiles is really easy, but I don't know where to start.

Any other easy, inexpensive flooring suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time!  You guys are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
giggles1100

They call me Martha......

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005 10:50:30 AM »

I just did peel and stick in my boys bathroom.  Definately remove the old ones, use a hair dryer to heat them up and they should come up relatively easy, you will need a scrapper and a xacto knife too.

Also when putting the new floor down they tell you to roll it out after you put it on, but mine still buckled some, so I did the hair dryer trick and warmed the glue up then rolled it with a rolling pin and now it is flat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Giggles To all!
Heather
jesslow
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005 10:58:10 AM »

Using the paint scrapper definitely helped me get under the tiles and acted as a wedge to pry them off the floor.  Also, if they're super stuck, try using a chisel and hammer to loosen it.

I like the blow dryer idea too, I can see how warming the glue would help with moving them into the right positions.  I wouldn't wait until the very end to use the old rolling pin trick though- I put down about 4 tiles at a time and then rolled them to make sure they were stuck before placing others around it.

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
apixiegrl
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005 11:08:15 AM »

I had to remove an old vinyl floor, not tiles, but similar and I heated the vinyl with an old iron rapped in a towel which made it easier for the old glue to release. Then I pealed and scraped .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005 11:26:24 AM »

Wow, you guys are great.  I'm sure the blow dryer idea will work out wonderfully!  I went shopping for new peel-and-stick tiles last night so I may get started this weekend.  Thanks!

Did you guys go with the "start in the exact center of the floor" trick?  Most places I've checked out suggest that you start at the exact middle of the floor and go out to the walls from there.  The floor that I'll be tiling is small and narrow.  Seems like I'd be doing a LOT more cutting that way.  Does it make a difference?  Suggestions?  Pointers?  Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
newmomerin

my sweet Madeline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005 11:33:04 AM »

My husband and I laid ceramic tile in our kitchen and bathroom. we did not start at the center. We started at the back wall of our bathroom and the front edge of our kitchen.

You will still have to trim most of your tiles for your bathroom. but the GREAT thing about peel n sticks is that cutting is super easy. All you do is score the top of your tile with a razor and bend it. snaps right where you scored it. :-)   I used them on our windowseat where there was some ugly linoleum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005 11:51:35 AM »

Thanks, newmomerin, for the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-E. Bachmann
thommoose
Moose

mind if I borrow your light green Sharpie?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005 12:00:15 PM »

With tile, the 'exact middle of the floor' is kinda just a rule-of-thumb...  I usually work from the 'visual center' of a room--- which is an eyeball thing mostly...  And--- if you're gonna have narrow cuts in tiles (like 2" strips or less from 12" tiles- you'll want them to be visually inconspicuous.   I'd finagle the layout to get as full a tile as possible in all the high-traffic areas---  Doorways/thresholds- near sinks or tubs/toilets/counters...  The reason on this is the lessen the amount of joints in the high-traffic areas and provide those tiles that'll get the most wear with the most possible foundation to the floor beneath...

OH- and two things I learned the hard way:  If you're working from mulitple boxes, take ALL the tiles out and shuffle them like cards---  I once had a faux-parquet design- and the images of wood used in one box were different from the other 3 I used...  Yeah--- not so much fun for the inner-perfectionist... 
And- even if it looks like a uniform design--- pay attention to the arrows on the peelaway paper--- they're there for a reason--- I know of one house that has 2 tiles facing in the wrong direction- and every time I see it, I just have the urge to yank up the sucker and turn it 90 degrees...

Good luck!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...those that matter do not judge and those that judge do not matter..."  -unknown

"Can I do this? Or do I look like some sort of gay superhero?" - Sterling
giggles1100

They call me Martha......

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005 02:38:43 PM »

Yeah definately use the arrows, oh and BTW doing around the toilet is a pain in the rear be prepared. And yeah we astarted int eh middle kinda and kinda the straight edge of the tub and worked, there were two of us doing it but with my tile it looks fine I used a parquet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Giggles To all!
Heather
LadyCregga
keeper of the castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005 05:20:50 AM »

We used those on our tiny bathroom. We just started at the tub and worked to the wall since everything is on that wall, like the sink and the toilet. But lucky for us we installed them BEFORE we put the new toilet in so going around it was a breeze.
Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! -- What a Ride! -- Anonymous
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shoot Your First Movie
How to Make Your First Movie: Using Proper Gear
How to Make Your First Movie: Audio
How to Make Your First Movie: Lighting
How to Cast Your First Movie
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...