A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
451 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Repairing a broken silver ring...what to do?  (Read 6528 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

juliel85
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Serial Crafter

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 24, 2005 11:46:22 AM »

This ring was given to me by my boyfriend our first Christmas together.  I know it wasn't very expensive...it's sterling silver, probably around $10...but it has tremendous sentimental value to me.  The band has all these cutouts and it has broken between some of the cutouts.  I asked jewelers, but they've all either said they don't work with silver or the cost of repair would be more than it's worth.  I can't wear it as is because I'll break it more and the broken part is very sharp.  Does anyone know what I can do?  I figure all these creative crafty people must be able to come up with something... Smiley

P.S. In the second photo I am pulling the ring apart slightly to make the crack more apparent...the sides fit together cleanly, nothing is missing
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CatyX
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005 11:54:35 AM »

I hope you can get it fixed but all I can think to do would be glueing it... sorry not much help
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meg4568
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005 12:54:48 PM »

here's what i would do-
get some solder(preferably jewlery solder, possibly at a really good art supply store)  and a torch lighter
hold the solder with pliers, and light it with the torch, and either try to drip it over the crack, or heat it up and touch it to the crack , trying to seal it.be very gentle so you dont accidentally mess up your ring. (remember to work outside and treat the fire with the UPMOST respect, also dont pick up the ring with your hands, ude pliers or tweezers and dip it in water in  a metal container.)

then try to get a small metal file to clear away any excess sloder, and if you want there are also sandpapers to give it a nice sheen. the whole process will cost you maybe 20 dollars, depending on how much of this you do. its really not that hard. and its will fix the problem! It may not be the prettiest solution, but it will be the easiest. or maybe go back to the jewlers you talked to and ask them how much it would cost to only solder it at the crack. if they think you know what your talking about, they'll probably be more willing to help you out. they might think you want the whole thing polished and looking brand new, which could get pricey.

anyway, thats what i would do
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Trailer for The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury
A Trailer for Whirlybirds and Ordinary Times by Katie Savage
A Trailer for Iscariot: A Novel of Judas by Tosca Lee
Writing a Eulogy Step by Step
Author Simon Sinek on Traveling to Distant and Unfamiliar Places
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...